300 BLK Hunting Optics and Ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I'm buying 300 BLK uppers for my two sons, 13 and 14, to deer hunt with this year.
    I'm needing some ideas on optics for them.
    This will be our second year hunting, hoping to get a kill this year.
    Most shots will be under 80-100 yards all in woods. There are a few stands were we may be able to see 200 yards.

Red Dot with flip to the side 3x magnifier OR 3-9 scope.
    Budget ~$250 each because I have to buy 2.
    I'll probably upgrade next year if needed.

A few I have found in my price range.

PA RedDot with PA 3x Magnifier. $401.16 for 2 shipped including mounts.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-30mm-Red-Dot-p/primary-arms-30mm-red-dot.htm?CartID=1

Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40. ~$200 plus mount each.
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-riflescopes-dbk-m-01p.html

Nikon P-300 BLK 3-9x40. $170 plus mount each.
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12685475

Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited:

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    I have a Weaver classic extreme with illuminated reticule on mine. Great optic in your price range. Check out Natchez shooters supply of you're interested.

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    Mine is 4-16x50. Think it was about $300, but to be honest I've never dialed in past 10x. Actually it took its first hog last weekend.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40. $ 160ish This is a traditional scope without lit reticle.

Aero Precision lightweight scope mount $90ish.

Burris PEPR scope mount $70ish. Solid mount but heavy like boat anchor.

Vortex Strikefire red dot. $160ish Traditional red/green dot. Comes with mount and screw on 2x magnifier. Palmetto State Armory often has specials on these for less. So one less mount to buy but not as koool.

I prefer a traditional 3-9 scope for both hunting and target shooting. I love my Burris. Very clear and not to costly. Your boys will likely enjoy a red dot(as I'm sure you know). Their is also the hybrid, variable magnified red dot option, which in my experience hasn't worked out. I don't have experience with the Vortex Strikefire but it would be my choice for a lower cost dot sight. Don't kill them all leave some for the rest of us! Happy hunting.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I put a good old 3-9 hunting scope on my 300blk AR upper. It's a Nikon Prostaff. $150 at Bass Pro, iirc. I got the traditional crosshair reticle. I don't care for BDC stuff, and /especially/ don't care for the Nikon reticle.

The Nikon reticle for BDC has set circles down the vertical line, and you go to their website, tell them your ammo, and it'll tell you how many yards for each circle. So say you zero at 50yd, the next holdover might be 84yds, then 113 yards, then 184 yards. It's oddball easy-to-forget numbers unless you write them on the scope. Also, if you switch ammo, it can vary wildly. 300blk requires some note-keeping, for me, because of how differently some of them hit at 100 yards.

I have taken all but one deer at 30-80 yards, and the oddball was 225 yards. The long shot was a .243 though, and I've only just switched to 300blk and am only about 400 rounds of research into it, with about 6 different factory loads.

When I was young, I was all iron sights, and knew my holdovers for a relatively flat-shooting .243 for my distances. Since then, for hunting distances, I just remember my holdovers. 300blk, I thought, might change that with the quicker drop, but it hasn't. I'm still just fine with a well-suited zero, and knowing where to hold it. I attribute this to training with ARs equipped with red dots from 5-250 yard distances. Same principle, mostly.

I am much more accurate with a crosshair reticle than a red dot too. I can keep red-dot shots "combat effective" as they say, but I can keep shots /precise/ with a fine crisp cross hair.

A magnified scope has the benefit of gathering/increasing perceived light, as well, which will help in the low-light conditions in the early morn and late evening. I have hunted with a red dot and found I had to keep adjusting it every so often as conditions changed in the sunrise/sunset conditions (Aimpoint micro) to keep it from interfering with my overall sight picture. This could also be a factor of how my eyes, rather than the optic itself.

I would encourage the 3-9x on a hunting rifle but wanted to be clear on how I got to that decision for my own rifle in case you don't care about my reasons, or think them different from your kids. Good luck - I hope they dig the hunting. Can't wait to start bringing mine along.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    .300blk shoots quite a different number of rounds from sub-sonics to some fast 110gr rounds. Which will you be using?

My 11yr old niece will be making her deer hunting debut this year with my .300blk sbr shooting some 110gr TSX loads I've worked up. I've got a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 mounted on top that does great for the distances it will be used (under 150yds) and it's simple and light enough for her to use.

http://www.sportoptics.com/trijicon-accupoint-TR24G.aspx

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    110gr TSX is my deer killer too :) Factory Barnes ammunition. It shoots very well from my 10.5" barrel and I found it easy to make accurately placed groups as I walked various distances from the target.

I like that Trijicon but that was just a ways out of my budget, too. Maybe after I've killed a deer or two I'll think of upgrading it.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I purchased a box of these for some sub-sonic hunting but have yet to have a chance to work up some loads. I'll most likely have to switch to a scope with a graduated reticle once I do though for drop compensation of the subs. Been looking at the new FFP 2.5-10 Vortex Viper PST to try on it.

http://lehighbullets.com/products.asp?cat=26
    When I get my suppressor, Lehigh was going to be my first place for SD and Hunting subsonic. I've been shooting some Hornady 208gr AMAX, and had concerns about the trajectory - in that case I might have to get something graduated to keep me more accurate, because I imagine even out to 150 yards it's going to be a decent variation. I was happy with the groups though, despite it being such a slow mover. With my electronic ears, the flight time was long enough that I heard the impact to the backstop after the gun shot at 100 yards. My dad, who's mostly only ever shot regular ol 30-06, 308, 243, 270 was laughing about that.

I'm glad someone more experienced mirrors my choices - gives me hope that I'm on the right track lol.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Thanks everyone for all the information and advice.

Especially JNeiman. It's obvious that you've put a lot of thought and testing into this same topic.
    Low light is one issue that concerns me being in thick woods.
    Your logical reasoning was just the type of response I was hoping for.

Ritten, ammo was going to be my next question. Probably 110gr, factory ammo of some kind since I don't reload.
    The Barnes VOR-TX looks promising. Any other recommendations?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    A quick look online shows no Barnes VOR-TX in stock.

I've also been looking at Hornady 300 Whisper 110 gr V-MAX, about the same price. Any thoughts on this ammo? I haven't check availability yet.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    A quick look online shows no Barnes VOR-TX in stock.

I've also been looking at Hornady 300 Whisper 110 gr V-MAX, about the same price. Any thoughts on this ammo? I haven't check availability yet.
    http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/300/
    http://ammoseek.com/?gun=rifle&cal=...ekw=&noblanks=noblanks&sortby=cpr&find_ammo=1
    http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/53970.htm

I check those sites a couple times a day. 300blk has been as scarce as .22lr for the past month or more. It's an odd hiccup in supply. Haven't seen any at Academy, Bass Pro, etc in a long time. LGS says he has it on order but will only come in when it's available which is... whenever. Just going to have to try your luck until supply starts catching back up.

Freedom Munitions has been annoying. They're only pumping out 147, 148, 150 grain FMJs. Those won't mimic the POI of any of the loads I care about, so I haven't bought any.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Thanks for the links.

I found some PNW Arms ammo with 125gr Nosler Ballistic tip bullets through the gunbot link. $151 for 100 rnds shipped or $280 for 200 rnds shipped.
    Good? Bad? Ugly?

EDIT:
    $135 shipped for 100 rnds from Midway.
    Good reviews on Midway.

PNW claims 1 MOA.

Last edited:

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    You might start looking to reload for this. I ordered the jig and chop saw to start converting .223 to .330 blk. Just need some time to get working on it.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Reposting due to last nights error.

Looks like I'll need to start reloading, but that will have to wait until spring.
    I've been wanting to start, but this will give me an excuse.

I also found some Barnes VOR-TX 110gr ammo yesterday a t Midsouth Shooters for $158.74 for 100 rnds shipped.
    It's still showing instock and just let me add 25 boxes to my cart.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom