300blk out Whats the point?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPL_Primeaux

AK-holic
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Lafayette ,Slidell,Abbeville
    Ok , so a buddy (who loves his AR) told me he is wanting to get a 300blk upper for his AR. I have been reading and see a lot of AR guys ( who usually back the AK) wanting to get the 300blk. They bash the AK becasue of the lack of range then want a round thats the size of an AK round with a 5.56 ass end. I just dont see the point. What am I missing. Wouldnt 7.62x35 not perform as well as a x39 ? I hear so many people talk about range, "the range on my AR is better than your AK" they like to say , then they want to get a x35.. It just confuses me.

The x35 and x39 are both 7.62 rounds but the ass is smaller so wouldnt the x39 be a better choice?

I must be missing something. To me , its pointless.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    It works with just a barrel change.

Most people don't shoot further than 300 yards and thus dont need something with a longer range.

300BLK fits that envelope better than 5.56 ever would.

I like the round, but I am sticking with 5.56 in AR's. if the ammo were as cheap I would switch.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    The big appeal with 300 blk is that you can shoot both super and subsonic ammo from the same ar and it will actually cycle. If you are into silencers this is a big plus. I may be wrong here but I don't believe you can get 7.62x39 subsonic and still cycle the weapon. Also 300BLK is very efficient in short barreled rifles. You can get more energy than 5.56 in a shorter package. Take a look here it explains some of the benefits

http://300aacblackout.com/resources/300-BLK.pdf

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    The main reason for the 300 blk is for suppressed fire (as quiet as a SD with the right ammo). It has the added bonus of better ballistic performance for medium sized game if used as a hunting round. Most people who do not shoot with suppressors and do not hunt with their AR would see a negative benefit (if you reload your own ammo and get free 5.56 casings you can bring ammo cost down to near 5.56 costs)to using the round and might just be catching the wagon for the wagon's sake because everyone is talking about it. I'm sure there are some LEOs that use an AR platform in their job duties where they might benefit from either the increased ballistic performance or the sound suppression but those are few and far between.

CPL_Primeaux

AK-holic
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    I see, I dont own an AR or hunt with suppressors so thats why I cant see the point. I see now though. Oh by the way guys. There was another zombie case in Maryland. A guy killed his room mate, ate his heart and part of his brain. So we got incidents in Florida and Maryland now.

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Hunting with suppressors is illegal in Louisiana (except for some nuisance animals) so any local suppressed fire is for plinking, competition or *work*.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    The big appeal with 300 blk is that you can shoot both super and subsonic ammo from the same ar and it will actually cycle. If you are into silencers this is a big plus. I may be wrong here but I don't believe you can get 7.62x39 subsonic and still cycle the weapon. Also 300BLK is very efficient in short barreled rifles. You can get more energy than 5.56 in a shorter package. Take a look here it explains some of the benefits

http://300aacblackout.com/resources/300-BLK.pdf

I've shot subsonic 7.62x39 in krinks and standard AK's

It cycled.

Blackout is so that AR shooters can get SOME of the advantages of the AK, but not an AK.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    For us non-suppressed not-SBR guys, it would be a great deer round. The AMU uses a cartridge very similar to it for 3 gun. They might use the .300whisper?

If I were looking at one, it would be for deer/pigs

CPL_Primeaux

AK-holic
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    So if you are not hunting suppressed what would be the benefit of the 300 over the x39 for hunting pig or deer? I dont see how it would vaporize water in a bottle before it hits the ground when its not as hot a round as the x39. Im no ballistic expert .

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    So if you are not hunting suppressed what would be the benefit of the 300 over the x39 for hunting pig or deer? I dont see how it would vaporize water in a bottle before it hits the ground when its not as hot a round as the x39. Im no ballistic expert .

You would be more accurate, quiet and tacti-cool:cool:

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    The reason the AK round "wizz(es)" through **** it that most plinking ammo is ball ammo. I'm sure (don't know if they exist) a ballistic tip 7.62x39 would have a similiar ballistic result seeing how the rounds are similiar in weight, speed and size. You could load a 300 blk with M59 or M80 bullets and it too would "wizz" through things.

Last edited:

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA

I dunno about vaporizing any water, but you can get all kinds of .30cal bullets and tailor the cartridge to your needs. It goes without saying the AR is inherently more accurate than the AK, by how much realistically in a deer stand? Probably not much, but Some, which I think would make a difference for a good lung/heart shot @250m.

So you get a nice .30 cal bullet on target in a platform you know and like, and not have to buy a dedicated .308 AR that's freaking huge. I think that's the big benefit for regular joes.

CPL_Primeaux

AK-holic
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    I wouldnt spend damn near a grand on an upper when I can get a new AK for 600. To me they are so close I would choose the x39 any day. Now after reading this thread, if I shot suppressed I may well go with the 300blk. But I dont do that stuff so to me buying a new uppper for a new round when I could just scoop up an AK is a waste.

Good points Brandon, I didnt think of that at all, probably because I dont reload haha.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Some good points here.:thumbsup:

....But the cynical side of me also believes heavily in the "make more stuff, sell more stuff" theory a little more every day, too. :dogkeke:

Top Bottom