.308/7.62x51 Sniper Rifles ready to buy need some input

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Nice set up but with a 16.1" barrel standard and "In a class all by itself" that might be stretching it a bit much. It is a very nice setup but there are other options that are as or even more impressive. Atleast for true "Sniper" type shooting.

You are 100% correct Barney, BUT again if you are using this for true long range sniper shooting you will probably be going to a bolt type rifle anyway. At least with my limited knowledge that is what I would be shooting.

My only sniping experiance is with deer hunting and I can promise you that I will be toteing my bolt's and not a semi-auto. Just my opinion, but that's how I feel about it!

LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Just thought id share a couple targets from shooting the FNAR today, changed the scope and had to resight. I actually used the Austailian Ball ammo i got from a BS member and it did quite well. I cant say enough about this rifle, it really has changed my opinion on assault weapons and their accuracy abilities.

img02261.jpg

The following are both 20 rounds per target.
    img02242.jpg

img02251.jpg

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Looks like you need to do some tuning there Longrange!:mamoru::rofl: Looks like you are getting sloppy!

J/K great lil rifle isn't it? Don't know why but I will have one soon!

Yea yea, well im sure i can come up with an excuse,lol seriously tho i was impressed with that ammo, for 125 bucks for 160 rounds and it shoots this well, sure its not match grade but definately good for paper punching. Im gonna get me 2 more battlepacks immediately for the FNAR.

totally agree, its a great gun, i fired 3 rounds to zero and another 57 rounds today in about 25 mins, so she was even hot on much of the shooting.

as for the bad shooting... reminds me of something.. "What that lil guy? Oh i wouldnt worry about that lil guy" lol.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAp_zDQB2Co[/ame]

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    ...it really has changed my opinion on assault weapons and their accuracy abilities.

I recently reiceved a new uppper for one of my rifles and I now share the same opinion. I did not expect to get the results that I have been able to achieve. Having close to, if not bolt gun accuracy with high capacity semi-auto ability. I think I have a new favorite mid range setup.

Last edited:

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    I would suggest you talk with dzelenka and spend a morning at a match. You can learn a lot from watching and talking to the guys.
    Rem 700 is hard to beat.

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    I would suggest you talk with dzelenka and spend a morning at a match. You can learn a lot from watching and talking to the guys.
    Rem 700 is hard to beat.

Not sure if i would call a rem 700 an assault rifle, but i spose you can club them to death and then call it an agravated assault rifle,lol.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Just thought id share a couple targets from shooting the FNAR today, changed the scope and had to resight. I actually used the Austailian Ball ammo i got from a BS member and it did quite well. I cant say enough about this rifle, it really has changed my opinion on assault weapons and their accuracy abilities.

:o :mad: BATTLE RIFLES!! Dang it man! ASSAULT WEAPONS could be a sling shot, a bb gun or even a rubber band! You my friend are shooting a BATTLE RIFLE!
    :confused: See I am on a mission to change some terminology! :squint:

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    FNAR, well guys this is not to crap on ya'lls parade, but at the gun show I handled one of the FNAR's I was just NOT at ALL Impressed!
    Rifle felt entirely too heavy front of center! It just didn't seem very well balanced at all! Really dissapointed me as I really thought I would like it!:(

Well I guess my sights are recentered on the $2500 Izzy Heavy barrel FAL!
    Someone needs to grab hold of this STG so I can claim the IZZY!!!!

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    If you have the cash, get a barrett, i used to sell them, its a kick in the butt to shoot and the recoil is easy. its more of a push into your shoulder than a kick. We would set up boxes of sand at a 1000 yds at fort knox and shoot them and they would blow up and catch on fire. Its great.

for economy i would go with the 700 or the M1a. you used to be able to get the 700 conversion that accepts a mag and the reliability is excellent, but i think you lose a little going away from the bolt action. m1a has a white feather thats nice.

i think considering price, reliability pound for pound the 700 is where its at

Top Bottom