34th Americas Cup

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I have been watching like always, but I just can't seem to get excited about it like I used to. Guess I am getting old and sentimental, but there sure isn't much tradition and spirit with all the carbon fiber, hydraulics, no exposed lines, electronic everything, and a crew that does nothing but lift weights all day. Sure, they can go almost 50mph, but may as well watch formula racers if you want speed. The hulls don't even stay in the water! Not a sailing vessel to me... some kind of fly by wire apparatus. I want lines in my teeth and things flapping around, some skill and the feel of a breathing thing going through the water. Moving the boat as an art.

End of rant, that is all. Geez, they're taking the fun out of everything these days. Sigh....

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I saw an article about that this morning, aren't there only like 4 teams competing? I'm all for technical innovation but it's all for naught if no one can afford to compete!

It seems in most of the sports that are on the cutting edge, there are only a few teams with a legit chance to win, everyone else are backmarkers circulating and flashing their sponsors logos in the scrap for 8th.

Last edited:

onelochevy

XD 45
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Slidell
    Never cared for sailing and have never paid attention to this event. Happen to see it for a bit on TV earlier and those boats are amazing to me. Im not a traditionalist at all about sailboats so these high tech vessels amaze me.

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Frisco, TX & Frequently in BR
    I loved the more traditional boats as well...

...until I got to see one of these new ones fly in person. Mind blowing is all I can say.

I get what you're saying. To me, it's like your formula racing analogy. Keep the newest competing and enjoy the retired boats/cars in museums. :D

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    The technology on those things is absolutely amazing. I agree it's not really sailing. The money involved in those teams is disgusting.

Still, they're beautiful in their own way.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    No doubt that they are amazing and beautiful in their own way. I just can't help but feel that there is something lost when technology, money, and materials are THE driving force. The cup used to be (and started as) a game of real seamanship, skill, and daring both by the captain and crew. It's sad that those skills have been replaced by push buttons and read outs. Heck, the helmsman barely has to look up anymore.

The same thing is true I guess with many endeavors. Anyone can do just about anything if they have the right gadget these days. The irony is that I make my living in the technology industry. Not sure if it is because of or in spite of that, But I still find it very sad that so much goes by the wayside in the trade. Can you imagine the crew I saw on tv today dropped aboard the "America" in 1851 for the first cup race?

Last edited:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I mean really... :)

4ebubebe.jpg

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    It's a matter of perspective. They have always been about the best boats, the best crews, and the best technology available at the time.

I'm sure the bells and whistles 100 years ago were looked at as untraditional.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I agree, but it has always been a balance of those things. To me it has become all bells and whistles and the skill and heart of it has gone.

Top Bottom