357, 45 acp, 45 long colt...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    I am just getting set up to start reloading. Like someone on one of the other threads said, "Get a manual, read it cover to cover, re read... I bought a couple manuals (Lymans seems to be the most reader friendly). I am beginning to appreciate how involved reloading really is! But, from what I'm learning, it really kinda opens up another world.

What I really want to do is to reload as an extension of my shooting - hopefully, with the wisdom to take my time and not to get in a rush. I want to learn to do this well AND, safely!

I have realized that rifle shells seem somewhat complex for me to start into right now. I have pretty much decided to start on straight pistol cartridges 357, 45 acp, and 45 long colt - do any of you have any suggestions for beginning, simple loads for the above?

Thanks in advance,

Marc Price

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    It sounds like you have a good grasp of what is needed and a reasonable start. Time is a great tool for safety. Check your powder loads often.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Not to pee in your corn flakes, but "simple loads" isn't really a great deal of data to start. All loads are "simple" in so much as they each have primer, powder, case and bullet. What powder is available to you? I don't load 45LC, but you won't use the same powder for the 357 and 45, for best results. Although some 45 brass is showing up with small pistol primers, the majority of the cases will take large. I'm old school and LP belongs in the 45.
    If you want to begin, I'd suggest starting with the 38/357 to cut your teeth on. Lots of load data is available, but the benefit of loading is to tailor the round to your particular gun. Sure you can crank out 100s and 1000s of rounds to have a major supply on hand, but if they aren't suited to your gun then there isn't much benefit. For self-defense rounds in 357, I leave the science to the commercial guys. For fun factor, I load 38. Less recoil, a bit less powder per round...my 2¢

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Stormie is correct in that all loads are simple. Starting with the 38/357 is easy. Get a 158 gr Semi-wadcutter bullet and follow the book on powders and primers. For the 45 acp and 45 Colt, you can use the 230 gr round nose bullet, makes the choice easy. Look at the loading manual, I think you can use WW-231 powder for all three. Check the good book to be sure. It might not be the best for all three but you'll only have one powder sitting on your bench. Again trying to make things easier. Start low and work your way up, don't get in a hurry, watch what your doing and Have Fun.

Beauxdog

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I use Win 231 and WST for all of my pistol loads, good versatile powders and always available. HP-38 is the same as Win 231, and sometimes a little cheaper.

It is rather easy, silly to pay more than double for pistol ammo unless you can't spare a couple hours to fill up an ammo can every now and then.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    I've never heard of 45 brass with small primers - i agree 45 is a large cartridge, for me.

Sorry, "simple loads" was a poor choice of words. I see where there's brass, primer, powder, bullet... More than anything else, I was telling myself I want to keep the whole process simple at first - that's why I'm starting on pistol. I'll probably check around here to see what powder is available (another adventure) - there are a few places here (Lafayette) that I think have powder on hand. I may, to get started, order a pound or two on my own - any suggestions on powders? - something cleaner than Unique? And yes a powder / bullet type for a starting point would be helpful for 38 / 357 - I hadn't thought of tailoring load to pistol but, I understand. (pretty green, huh?)

I think 38 / 357 may be a good place to get started so, that's a good suggestion. I have a Smith & Wesson model 28 that's pretty solid and I do like to shoot it.

One more question: other than going with carbide dies (which I plan on) any brand preferences - it seems like engine oil - whatever you use is the best - is there a great deal of difference? I have an RCBS turret press. I'd prefer to buy as good a quality dies as needed so I won't "outgrow" / want to replace later.

Thanks for the input!
    Marc Price

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Let's start with the 45 acp brass first. There are a few ammo makers, that have started putting small primers in there cases. Federal (from WallyWorld), CCI Blaser and Winchester Win-Clean are the ones I know of. You will just have to sort them out. You can reload them with small primers, just as any other round, you will just have to keep them seperate and know the difference.
    As far as the dies, yea quality goes a long way. I prefer Dillon dies for pistols and here's why. Dillon dies can easly be taken apart with changing the die settings. They use a clip at the top to hold and insert in the die in seatting and crimping stations. This allows the user to remove the insert and clean it without having to remove the die body. Yes, they cost more but I feel they are worth it, I know I am. All makers of dies use the same thread pattern so there won't be a problem using a different makers press.

Bryan Guillory
    Louisiana Gun
    Baton Rouge

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Before you decide to order powder online check with the places that carry it. they might be able to get it in their next order and it will save you the hazmat fee. The good Mr Brain Guillory does that for me every once in a while. I also agree with the Dillon dies. Especially if you use regular lead bullets instead of copper jacketed or the coated bullets.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    All great information - thank you all. It's always great to be around folks who share good info. You make me grateful!

May be ordering the Dillon dies - will check for powder around here - will probably give Mr Gillory a call, too!

Marc Price

Top Bottom