.357 Sig ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    There's a clown at work that is always telling folks that they should get a 357 Sig barrel for their Glocks . I've looked at the numbers and I'm not convinced the .357 Sig is all that and a bag of chips . It's a little hotter than the 9mm and it shoots a slightly heavier bullet , but is it worth the extra cost and aggravation ?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The .357SIG is a small high energy round that works well.
    A 9mm, .40, .357SIG, .45GAP or .45ACP are GTG with good ammunition and proper shot placement.
    The 125gr. .357S and the 165gr. .40 have about the same energy at 50 yards. The .357 has about 8% more energy than the .40 at the muzzle and 4% less energy at 100 yards.

Last edited:

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    There's a clown at work that is always telling folks that they should get a 357 Sig barrel for their Glocks . I've looked at the numbers and I'm not convinced the .357 Sig is all that and a bag of chips . It's a little hotter than the 9mm and it shoots a slightly heavier bullet , but is it worth the extra cost and aggravation ?

He just doesn't want to look silly all by his self.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    No.

If you're looking for a more powerful handgun round to tinker with, get a 10mm. I don't recall whether or not you reload, but that's pretty much a requirement to get any utility out of that beast.

The .357 Sig is just like the .45 GAP; somebody re-invented the wheel to get a name on a proprietary cartridge.

Nah , never did make the jump to reloading . I was just curious . I know the subject will come up again , and I wanted to be a little more informed .

thomjb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Southern IN
    I have several, it is my nightstand round in a Glock 32. DoubleTap round is equivalent to a 125g full house 357 mag.

I love the 10mm but the 357 Sig ain't bad....YMMV

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    What is the parent cartridge for the sig? If i remember correctly isnt it just a necked down cartridge of something else?

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    The 357 sig was a very good attempt at getting the venerable 357mag in an auto..

It is carried by many LEO and highway patrols for its ability to punch glass and door skins and keep flying straight..with most of its weight ..

It is snappy and when I carried it in my 33 it was almost too much for me.. but I am sensitive and dont buy into the idea that when your in a shootout that you wont feel the recoil. I like to practice and it was very hard to put more than 3 mags through it without walking away twitching..

It is expensive, and sometimes hard to find but buy in bulk like everything else and you are good to go..

jemayeux

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Beaumont, TX
    I mostly take mine out as my side arm when I am out pig hunting. My theory: Smaller faster round = a bullet that will penetrate deeper into the thick hide of a pig.

Ammo is $2-3 more per box of 50 WWB compared to 45acp. However, all the ammo that I have found available is better quality. You won't be able to get Wolf quality (and prices) on this stuff.

It's like olives, you either like it or you hate it.

Basically it is a different way to solve the same problem.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I have a Sig 239 in .40 and I bought a .357 Sig barrel for it. I carry the .357 Sigs. I don't really think it is much different than the .40 to be honest. I like it because I like to have something unique, and I love .357 mag but wanted a small autoloader for carry.

As far as pain-in-the-ass factor, it is definitely there. I reload, and one reason I got the .357 Sig barrel is so that I could have a new cartridge to play around with without having to buy a whole new gun. It is a pain to reload because most 9mm bullets have too long of an ogive. If you seat them deep enough to be within usable COL, the case mouth won't actually have bearing surface to grab and instead wrap around the curve of the bullet just a little. You basically need to get flat-point style bullets instead of round nose.

On the plus side, you don't actually have to lube the cases because you can size the case body in a .40 sizing die first. At least that way you don't have to fool with case lube.

At the end of the day, I've handloaded about 200 rounds of .357 sig, and I won't load more until I figure out what is a good bullet for it that doesn't have the cost of the gold-dots specially designed for it. I carry the .357 sig and practice with .40s, because I honestly don't notice the difference in recoil.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    The thing with the 357Sig is the bullets needs the straight sides because of the short neck...most 9mm bullets have the long olgive nose and using them can cause loose fit and set back issues seated to proper COAL.

For my 9x25Dillon cartridges(10mm necked down to 9mm), I started using the bullets designed for the 357Sig & 38Super because of the straighter section near the noses and short olgive or turncated cone designs. I used the Zero Brand (38Super design) 121 grain JHP 0.356" bullets for this project because they are made for higher velocities...because I deliver these at 1640 fps from the S&W1006 with a Bar-Sto 9x25Dillon Match Grade conversion 5" barrel and 1540 fps from my Glock-29 LWD 9x25 conversion 3.78" barrel.

Best regards!

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    It is snappy and when I carried it in my 33 it was almost too much for me.. but I am sensitive and dont buy into the idea that when your in a shootout that you wont feel the recoil. I like to practice and it was very hard to put more than 3 mags through it without walking away twitching..

I've shot a lot thru my M&P.357Sig and not had this problem, and I consider myself half-way sensitive to recoil. But then I'm usually shooting my .357 and .41 so that may make it seem less.
    YMMV, obviously.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I have a barrel for my G22 and my M&P 40.....The biggest reason I bought it (other than a case of the "wants", of course) was that it seemed to me during the "Great Ammo Buy Up Of '08" .357 Sig always seemed to be on the shelf.

An admitted gunaholic, I caved. :o:o:o

It's a pretty good shooter, IMHO. I know it will dispatch a hog pretty quickly. True, it won't destroy an entire neighborhood block like a 10mm, but it seems to be more than enough for my needs.....:D

Last edited:

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Very loud and produces a huge muzzle flash. As far as recoil goes, I find it more pleasant to shoot than my .40. Got it because it's a drop in for my 229.

rpm13000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Kenner
    .357 Sig

I have shot the P229 .357 and .40, the recoil is slightly less for the .357. Which is always good if you need to get back on target in a hurry. It depends on the application and who is buying the ammo. I know little to nothing about 10mm except it always makes me think of the FBI.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rmsize
    Top Bottom