.38 spcl Carry Ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    Hey guys I've been doing some reading on the net about the best carry load for the 2" S&W .38 airweights.It looks like a lot of folks think the Federal 125 gr. Nyclad HP is the best non +P and the Remington 158 gr Lead Semi-Wadcutter HP is the best +P.

Your thoughts on the best .38 snubbie carry round?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Don't discount the 135 grain +p Gold Dots-- I have them in my girlfriend's LCR, which is very comparable to the pistols you are talking about. They are "designed" with short barreled revolvers in mind, and were actually the best middle ground option I found-- both in internet discussion, and on the shelf.

Shot 10 or 15 personally and they're very manageable. Snuck some in with standard plinking loads on my girlfriend and she never really noticed the difference. The 158 +p's are going to buck something fierce, FWIW. I've heard it's a very obvious increase with those rounds, but they are ballistically the most sound.

Your best bet is to try out as many options as possible at the range-- they will be more alike than different, as far as ballistics go, provided you stick with the best handful of options available.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    +1 on the gold dots. I have those in my gun. I replaced my federal hydra-shoks with them after having read in so many places that they are the best for a snubbie (designed specifically for it, after all).

You may also want to look into the Hornady Critical Defense loads. I think these are also supposed to be optimized for smaller guns and they are supposed to have the most reliable expansion. They are still pretty new and I haven't heard any serious tests of them yet, but I'm sure such tests exist and you could probably find out if they live up to Hornady's claims.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Remember anything that's reduced recoil is also decreased momentum from the bullet after it hits the target. Since many of my 38 specials have two inch barrels I can't build a ton velocity only muzzle flash. I believe you're better off with heavier bullets in shorter barrels to increase the momentum the bullet will carry after striking the target. In longer barrels I'll carry slightly lighter bullets to increase the velocity which will also translate to more bullet momentum.

Dave

MotorBoy

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Youngsville
    According to Evan Marshall & Edwin Sanow the book, Handgun stopping power the W-W 38+p 158 gr LHP works the best with 169 shooting 123 one shot stops 72.78 percent one shot stop, nothings tops that.....

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    According to Evan Marshall & Edwin Sanow the book, Handgun stopping power the W-W 38+p 158 gr LHP works the best with 169 shooting 123 one shot stops 72.78 percent one shot stop, nothings tops that.....

How does one calculate a percentage of one shot stops, out of morbid curiosity?

Muzzle energy is a reasonable measurement of stopping power-- better still for recoil, although still not exact. Ballistic gel tests-- barriers, clothing and all-- are to the best of my knowledge the "industry standard" for determining the effectiveness of any given round. Just curious as to where that percentage comes from, how it's calculated and just how valid it is?

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    I appreciate all the input.I think I may give the gold dots a try at the range.I carried the old FBI load for a lot of years,from reports it does seem to get the job done.Got a bite to it thou.I used Remington,a lot of the gun gurus seemed to think it was the best 158 gr LSWCHP +Ps for some reason.

Anybody ever tried that Federal Nyclad 125 gr non +P?What about gold dots non +P?I need something for my wife and see doesn't like too much recoil.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I appreciate all the input.I think I may give the gold dots a try at the range.I carried the old FBI load for a lot of years,from reports it does seem to get the job done.Got a bite to it thou.I used Remington,a lot of the gun gurus seemed to think it was the best 158 gr LSWCHP +Ps for some reason.

Anybody ever tried that Federal Nyclad 125 gr non +P?What about gold dots non +P?I need something for my wife and see doesn't like too much recoil.

My 135 gr gold dots are non +p. The aluminum frame on my 342 no-likey +p.

Top Bottom