4 year old killed by pit bull in Houma

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    It doesn't surprise me that there has been no discussion of this tragic event here as I know there are a lot of pit bull owners and defenders on this forum.

How many more kids need to be killed or maimed by these dogs before people admit that they are dangerous animals and have no place in our homes and neighborhoods! And that lame excuse of "it depends how they were raised" is Bull ****!! There's something in their brain that can make them snap and attack the nearest living thing to them regardless of how they were raised, and you never know when or if it's going to happen.

http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news...being-tested-for-rabies/25195584#mid=18686270

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    SelfDestruct.gif

'Believing the Myth is What Left Us Without a Son'
    Link

Last edited:

Jmann

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    News said the city was testing the dog for rabies. If the dog test positive the it wasn't the dog . Myself I'm no fan of pits don't want them around me and my family . I've seen what they can do in a pit many years ago . Way to unpredictable for me .

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    Wait, I know the canned response for this. My AR-15 has never gone off on its own and shot anyone.

True, but there's still the possibility that you could get it stolen or sell it to someone who decides to go on a shooting rampage with it, factors out of your control.

Whether it's guns or pit bulls, there's people out there who want to ban them because it's possible some tragic death MIGHT be caused by them, despite that number of such deaths compared to the number of legal, responsible owners is absolutely minuscule. If we allow this knee-jerk reactionism to dictate our laws then our liberties will burn up faster than a Christmas tree soaked in gasoline.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Since you brought up the Brady bunch, guns don't cause death Ms Fienstein, as I noted before, my AR-15 has never shot anyone on it's own.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    News said the city was testing the dog for rabies. If the dog test positive the it wasn't the dog . Myself I'm no fan of pits don't want them around me and my family . I've seen what they can do in a pit many years ago . Way to unpredictable for me .

Two dogs, not one. No way they both contracted Rabies, incubated and went "cujo" at the same time. Maybe they both got a hold of some acid or meth or something on their run?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Article states it wasn't even a pitbull, it was an American Bully. From what I've seen they're considered much more mild tempered than pits, even though they look mean as hell.

Last year 25 deaths (total, not just kids) were attributed to pit bulls. Hardly an epidemic.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Article states it wasn't even a pitbull, it was an American Bully.

Pretty much the same thing...

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/a/americanbully.htm

According to them;
    The American Bully is a happy, outgoing, stable and confident dog.
    Gentle and loving toward people. Good-natured, amusing, extremely loyal and an affectionate family pet.

...also...

Height: 13 - 21 inches (33 - 53 cm)
    Weight: 70 - 120 pounds (31 - 54 kg)
    There are 5 categories of the American Bully—pocket, standard, extra-large (XL), extreme and classic.
    Weight and height vary greatly and are not considered important, however correct proportion of weight to height is.

Like all mixed back yard bred dogs,
    there's no telling what you'll end up with.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    The dog they are testing for roids and other chemicals is unknown right now. No pitbull weighs 130lbs.
    So are you going to ignore the attack by a German Shepard and a mixed dog? What about the one from several months ago from a lab? Tore half a boys face off.
    I have a scar on my right cheek... Guess how? Lab sunk his teeth in the right side of my face Easter Sunday and this was my grandparents dog. Unprovoked. Two year before that did the same exact thing to my cousin's throat. She still had a scar. 5 years 5 at a vet clinic doing things that don't feel good sometimes to a dog and I was snapped at several times by all breeds. More so of the little ones and one breed several times almost every time I dealt with them. Rottweilers.

Year around I'm probably in contact with 6-7 "pit bulls" twice a week, I've never been snapped at or growled at, and they are catch dogs for hog hunting so "vicious" is what they know. Hog in the pen its dead. Person in the pen and its a friendly tail wagging encounter every single time. 5 of us and we've never been in harms way with them.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I've met several Bullies and researched them a bit a while back as I was considering one. They do look like they just got out of prison, but I never read or heard a single bad thing about them. Obviously this one wasn't so sweet.

Either way I do think it's funny though how the media (and people including here) are running with the pit bull thing. Sorta like how all long guns are "assault rifles"...

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Dude I want a 65 lbs lean Brindle Pit sooo bad.

I just considered it a calculated risk to own one with small children,
    so I passed. Maybe one day though.

But definitely not one of these big ass Bully Breeds though.
    They have serious joint issues.

I don't like how they've mutated the breed so much that
    it's own structure can't hold the weight it seems.
    At least not for more than 7 years or so before causing major problems.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

Same here. Even if there's a .0001% chance of even a perceived risk to my kids I'm not doing it. And that is indeed the case with certain breeds. Doesn't mean I think they should be banned or unjustly vilified, just that I'm terribly overprotective. :D

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

But definitely not one of these big ass Bully Breeds though.
    They have serious joint issues.

I don't like how they've mutated the breed so much that
    it's own structure can't hold the weight it seems.
    At least not for more than 7 years or so before causing major problems.

I'll keep my 13lb Shi-Tzu...

JR1572

Top Bottom