410 vs 20 gauge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Sounds like you got the right look on the situation.
    I wouldn't suggest NOT buying a 20g shotty, but if she can learn to run the AR it is a great platform for home defense.

That will over penetrate most homes like the walls were made of butter. Not to mention, you may have some legal problems with the use of a rifle as an HD gun if you ever have to use it, God forbid.

Rabbit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Carencro, LA
    That will over penetrate most homes like the walls were made of butter. Not to mention, you may have some legal problems with the use of a rifle as an HD gun if you ever have to use it, God forbid.

um.... no.
    Ever shoot 223 at drywall? ever shoot buck shot at dry wall?

And how do firearms differ legally when used in a self defense shooting?

jopete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Loreauville, La.
    my wife is a small woman. she shoots a rem 870 youth model 20 guage.
    if it's flying or standing in front of her, it usually gets blowed up guick.
    cheap gun.
    you can't go wrong with it.

a reliable 20 guage semi auto can get expensive.

with minimal practice she will master the pump action!!!!!!!!!

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    My wife keeps a 870 express mag 20ga youth model by the bed. I'd say 20 is way better than 410. I would look into a mossberg though, seems the safety is easier to remember since you basically just drill into their head. Foward toward the threat, equals the safety being off. Easier than the side method for a new shooter.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    +1 on the 870 Youth in 20 gauge. Don't even think about .410 for home defense, not worth it at all. Before you buy her a shotgun, make sure she tries one out first and that she doesn't mind the big boom. The last thing you want is to get something that intimidates her, you need something that she'll want to pick up and hold when ****'s not going down... something that she'll enjoy shooting at the range. Find out what type of gun she thinks looks the coolest and consider getting one training her on that, she'll be a lot more likely to invest more time learning about something that appeals to her, rather than something that was picked for her because it would be the "best" for home defense. Not saying that's what you're doing, just speaking from experience... guy wants to get his girl into shooting, starts telling her what she wants = total turn-off for girl. Involve her in the decision-making process and let her shop = win for all!

Andrew50300

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Uptown NO
    We've been pretty busy but its looking like we might be able to hit the range this weekend if nothing comes up. Right now I'm just trying to get her started with some of the lower recoil guns I already have in the safe. Right now I'm thinking 10/22, Hi Point 9mm carbine, maybe an AR, and maybe an 870 if I can get some low recoil shells or maybe even some mini shells if any of mine will cycle and eject them. I'll probably just get her to try out the 10/22 and 995 though. I'd like to just stick to something semiauto. This is something I'm going to take a whole lot more seriously than she will and all I'm really hoping for is for her to get familiar with it enough to grab it from behind the bed, point it at the bedroom door, and put down anything that comes through it. There aren't any children in the house and where the HD guns sit they won't ever be accidentally brushed over or bumped or anything like that so I'm not going into using a safety with her other than how to turn it off if it accidentally gets turned on (I'd disable them on most of my guns if I could do it easily).

Anyway, I'm just going to use this first trip to get her used to shooting. Once I do that, we'll go out to a show or gun shop and get her to finger bang some different things and see what feels right and then get one that will just be for her. Again, I'm leaning more towards a long gun to be her first one. This is just going to be for HD and its probably more for my peace of mind than her's. I'd love for her to get comfortable enough with a pistol for her to keep it in her car or purse, but I know how she is and we just need to take baby steps to start.

Rabbit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Carencro, LA
    +1 on the 870 Youth in 20 gauge.**snip for space** Find out what type of gun she thinks looks the coolest and consider getting one training her on that, she'll be a lot more likely to invest more time learning about something that appeals to her, rather than something that was picked for her because it would be the "best" for home defense. Not saying that's what you're doing, just speaking from experience... guy wants to get his girl into shooting, starts telling her what she wants = total turn-off for girl. Involve her in the decision-making process and let her shop = win for all!

Yes, yes YES!! even if she wants a decent gun in pink! let it be her gun. And +1 on letting a woman shop at a gun store! Mine picks up some cool toys for the family. Shopping aint bad if you put them in the right stores :cheers:

We've been pretty busy but its looking like we might be able to hit the range this weekend if nothing comes up. Right now I'm just trying to get her started with some of the lower recoil guns I already have in the safe. Right now I'm thinking 10/22, Hi Point 9mm carbine, maybe an AR, and maybe an 870 if I can get some low recoil shells or maybe even some mini shells if any of mine will cycle and eject them. I'll probably just get her to try out the 10/22 and 995 though. I'd like to just stick to something semiauto. This is something I'm going to take a whole lot more seriously than she will and all I'm really hoping for is for her to get familiar with it enough to grab it from behind the bed, point it at the bedroom door, and put down anything that comes through it. There aren't any children in the house and where the HD guns sit they won't ever be accidentally brushed over or bumped or anything like that so I'm not going into using a safety with her other than how to turn it off if it accidentally gets turned on (I'd disable them on most of my guns if I could do it easily).

Anyway, I'm just going to use this first trip to get her used to shooting. Once I do that, we'll go out to a show or gun shop and get her to finger bang some different things and see what feels right and then get one that will just be for her. Again, I'm leaning more towards a long gun to be her first one. This is just going to be for HD and its probably more for my peace of mind than her's. I'd love for her to get comfortable enough with a pistol for her to keep it in her car or purse, but I know how she is and we just need to take baby steps to start.

What range do you go to? lots of folks here would be more than happy to let you use their guns, (courtesy is to bring or pay for ammo). Maybe not for FIRST trip for her to range, but once she gets used to shooting some guns, borrow some. It is cheaper to find one that fits for yall than buying them all or renting from indoor range. I will offer up mine, if you don't mind the brands that get bashed here :p

Andrew50300

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Uptown NO
    What range do you go to? lots of folks here would be more than happy to let you use their guns, (courtesy is to bring or pay for ammo). Maybe not for FIRST trip for her to range, but once she gets used to shooting some guns, borrow some. It is cheaper to find one that fits for yall than buying them all or renting from indoor range. I will offer up mine, if you don't mind the brands that get bashed here :p

Not sure which range yet. Its going to depend if we spend the weekend in Metairie or Baton Rouge. Thanks for the offer. I'm definitely not a brand snob as long as it runs. The Hi Point .45 pistol I owned for a little while was absolute trash but I've never had an issue with their 9mm carbines (other than them being a PITA to break down and clean), and while its not exactly a target gun the 9mm Taurus 24/7 I keep in my truck hasn't ever given me trouble either.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    With all the latest stories coming out of BR and NO my girlfriend finally agreed to let me get her something to keep out at the house when I'm not around. She's pretty tiny and this will be her first gun so I was thinking a semiauto smaller gauge shotgun would be good for her. I'm leaning towards a Saiga in 410 or 20 at the moment. My questions right now are what's the difference in recoil between the two, and can anyone else think of something that may be better? I've considered a youth sized 10/22 with a ruger 25 round mag, but I feel like once it starts going off in the house the noise and everything else going on is going to be too much for me to expect multiple well placed shots and a shotgun will be a hair more forgiving when her aim is off a little. Mostly I just want the lighter recoil to prevent her from not training with it because it kicks too much.

Take her shooting and let her tell YOU what she is comfortable with. So much damn sexism with guns it seems.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    um.... no.
    Ever shoot 223 at drywall? ever shoot buck shot at dry wall?

And how do firearms differ legally when used in a self defense shooting?

I have shot 2x6's with both 5.56 and Buckshot. The buckshot penetrates MUCH LESS. Except when using ballistic tips. That was a tie with 00 buck and a 55gr Nosler BT.

Rabbit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Carencro, LA

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    On page one of google.... I have shot both, and have my choice set. (both correct ammo and weapon system). Bottom line is: shoot what your good with.
    http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=26

http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html

I ain't arguing, if it works for you, and you feel comfortable then that is what you need to take to the fight, or have handy if the fight comes to you ;)

Looks to me like dry-wall makes for poor cover. I don't really care much about over-penetration. I'm more concerned with connecting in the first place. Everyone is up in arms over over-penetration, but it seems that noone really worries about missing their target in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom