5.56/.223 Defense Ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I was wondering what everyone has stored away for defense ammo. I am putting together a SHTF bag and I have my .45 acp ammo picked out (Hornady Custom 230 gr XTP) and I was wondering what everyone uses for 5.56/.223 self defense ammo. Should I go with steel core green tip, typical fmj, etc. So what ammo do you use and why?

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    I have my mag's loaded 3 SS109 to 1 tracer . Why ? My grab gun is a 11.5 in M-16 with a 1 in 9 twist . I think the 109's 'll work better . I also think that in reality it wouldn't matter a bit . The tracer's are there 'cause they just impress the hell out of local's when they fly by :)

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I was wondering what everyone has stored away for defense ammo. I have my .45 acp ammo picked out (Hornady Custom 230 gr XTP)

Just curious, why is the 230 grain so popular in the 45? Why not get the 185 or the 200 for a defensive round? Just looking at the ballistics it seems that a lighter bullet in that large a diameter would be the way to go. I may be wrong, which is why I'm asking...

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Well,

if your rifle can stabilize it, this stuff is supposed to be the best out there.

hornady_catalog_06_boxes_556_resized.jpg

The only problem is that I can only find it in one place and its $27 a box of 20. OUCH!!

This stuff isn't as good as the previous, but is supposed to be much better than most anything else out there. It's likely to be a buck a round.

hornady_catalog_05_boxes_FPD_resized.jpg

Bladebu1

1 more old SeaBee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Diamondhead Ms
    1x9 twist
    I would try the Tap rounds above and see you get any keyhole at about 150
    if they do not key hole That is would be what I would use
    if they do keyhole I would go 62 grain

Saftman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Lafayette, La.
    Like said above ty the heavier rounds. If they don't work well try progressively lighter rounds till you find what you and your gun likes. It might be a little expensive but worth it. A 62 grain should work fine.

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    You mentioned you were looking at this for self-defense . It might do to remember that "self-defense" range and "combat" range are two different thing's . I'd be a great deal more concerned about what it'll do at 20 yrd's then 150-200 . Kinda hard to convince a judge that you had to take a 200 yrd headshot in self-defense . Soft point's , hollow point's , TAP , even fmj at that range will do thing's to a human that'll give you nightmares for years . anyway , just a thought . Will

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I use hornady 55 gr. TAP rounds in my mini 14. I shot one of these rounds through soft body armor and the entry hole on the first panel was pin prick and the exit hole on the second panel was half dolar sized. Seemed impressive.

Top Bottom