62 years he made without incident and then while eating dinner he gets a call

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    IF (note that is a BIG IF) the facts are, as they are reported then something stinks about this. I hate to be the one to say it (after I am in my 40th year of law enforcement), but reports like these, and some others may indicate we have a major problem in the mindset, recruitment and/or training of present day law enforcement officers.
    I have always carried out my duties with the mindset to treat others how I would like to be treated if the positions were reversed AS long as they let me. I have been involved in 2 shootings over my career that resulted in a criminal dying because he refused to allow me to treat him as I would have wanted to be treated. For the other LE members, I have been a firearms instructor since the mid 80's, transitioned a department with over 100 members from revolver to semi-autos, taught rifle classes to swat teams along with shotgun tactics. I am one that they call to council officers who have been involved in on duty shootings and so far all of the guys I have trained are successful on the streets. :)
    This reported incident along with a couple of others have me worried.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Sig220,
    I have a friend that shot and killed someone in the line of duty. The thing that shocked me is the mother of the guy he shot thanked him. At that point I didn't know the full story of what had transpired. After hearing what happened I understood why but have to admit it was still a shock.
    I may not have approached the officers with a gun, probably check in on what the plan was and then proceed. I know that doesn't bring the rancher back. His wife having a heart attack from the news is pretty sad also. Sometimes it's a bad deal all around and hopefully we learn from it.

Last edited:

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    Sig220,
    I have a friend that shot and killed someone in the line of duty. The thing that shocked me is the mother of the guy he shot thanked him. At that point I didn't know the full story of what had transpired. After hearing what happened I understood why but have to admit it was still a shock.
    I may not have approached the officers with a gun, probably check in on what the plan was and then proceed. I know that doesn't bring the rancher back. His wife having a heart attack from the news is pretty sad also. Sometimes it's a bad deal all around and hopefully we learn from it.

The officers were from that area, they knew or should have known what procedures are for a owner of free range cattle are when one is struck by a car. I was thinking what the rancher would want to do...put the animal down if needed and other preps for butchering....because you don't want to lose everything you had in that animal. Then read more of the story and that is what his family said he was trying to do. The big note there is I am not from that area, but have responded to horses hit by cars, deer hit by cars and other loose livestock. Had a bull run into a patrol car once while trying to herd him off the road, never thought to shoot him as that would have resulted in a big loss for the owner. So the car took one for the team!!

Anyway, what or when is the "wake up" call?? I know its not popular to bring up some of this for discussion, but guess what......it needs to be. I know society has evolved over my career as has law enforcement which presents different challenges that we as law enforcement have to react to, but the solution is not jump first to deadly force. We still have escalation of force and common sense that has lasted me through the last 40 years and is still working today. We need to be vigilant in our duties and to be vigilant to call those who violate the rights of others to task. That badge we pin on our uniform comes with a lot of power AND responsibility. Shame on us, if we forsake it. Wake up guys, the elephant in the room just took a dump.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Michael Brown's friend saw him put his hands up and say don't shoot also. Don't get roped into a media piece before the investigation is over.

This little bit says it all...

At least one of them had a semiautomatic rifle, perhaps an AR-15, an adaptation of the military M16.

Journalism has been in decline since the first news article was ever written.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom