69gr SMK and deer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Does any one know how well a 69gr SMK will preform on deer, will it stay together (mostly) giving a good shot placement, and not hitting bone?
    My load is going 2850 fps, I would think if the body stays together and only the tip fragments it should perform as well as a 55gr hunting bullet.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I don't know anything about the SMK bullet, but I really like the Corbon DPX bullets. I used a 55gr to take a doe a couple of years ago with excellent results.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Head shots?? I was told take head shots if using those bullets by one guy and told by another to use the Barnes bullets. I am going to use my 68gr Horndays to hunt with and try for head/neck shots. But I'm only going to hunt a few days. No need to buy different ammo for that in my book.

Bam Bam

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I just ordered a scope base for my Savage 270, I'll be able to pull my little 1-4 NF off the carbine and attach it to the Savage, that way I can just shoot the shoulder and not have to worry about making a perfect shot or tracking a deer.
    I'll take the 223 and test the ammo on some hogs, then I can make a informed decision on the 69gr load

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Sierra makes a 65gr Spitzer boat tail Game King bullet. It's the only bullet Sierra markets as a hunting bullet. I have used it with good success on deer. Shot placement is key.

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    KZ, as they say, shot placement is key. At decent range and in a heart/lung shot role I would think they would work fine.

Having said that, I did a fair amount of research on the subject getting ready for a kids hunt with the 223 last year. I ended up going with the Barnes TSX 62 grainer, and loaded it over 24.5 grains of TAC. Just shot one group as I was in a hurry, and they grouped fine with the same zero as my standard 69 SMK load. I have bullets and powder if your in a hurry.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Joe everything I have read about SMKs as hunting rounds gets mixed reviews. Plenty people say they use them with great results and others say you shouldn't and should use a hunting bullet for hunting. Now most of this was in regards to .30 cal projectiles.

I know that didn't help much but my personal opinion is it's all about shot placement. A hole in the heart or lungs = BAD no matter what bullet caused it. The guys that do hunt with them don't complain. I've never read where someone shot something with one and wished they had not. YMMV.

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    Joe everything I have read about SMKs as hunting rounds gets mixed reviews. Plenty people say they use them with great results and others say you shouldn't and should use a hunting bullet for hunting. Now most of this was in regards to .30 cal projectiles.

I know that didn't help much but my personal opinion is it's all about shot placement. A hole in the heart or lungs = BAD no matter what bullet caused it. The guys that do hunt with them don't complain. I've never read where someone shot something with one and wished they had not. YMMV.

Now you quit dealing with such frivolity and get out there and get us some video with the 300BLK and the can! (I am at least two months away on the lower so still have not bought the upper yet.)

:rockon:

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks Hicap, are the bullets and powder being held together with a case, and a primer holding the powder from leaking out? :dogkeke:
    If I can't get my rig set up before the hunt I'll give you a shout

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    60 grain Nosler Partitions are a good round and hold together well. Although not an optimal round, in a pinch the SMK's will do the job, but don't expand quite as well a bullets designed for hunting. So shot placement will be more crucial with them.
    Shooting deer in the head is fine, if you kill them. I personally dont reccomend it as I have seen too many deer that someone decided to head shoot and blew the jaw out. The deer starves to death.
    Just my opinion.

Last edited:

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Father-in-law took another deer today with his AR and the 60 grain Nosler Partitions I loaded for him. Medium sized doe, 110 yards, chest shot. She traveled 10 steps. He doesn't even use his .270 anymore.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    What about a Rem 700 in .308? I would think that would work fine. I know my Win 94 30-30 would work well. I just need a scope on it. I've only gone hunting once but want to go again.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    From what I've read/been told, they come apart pretty violently in two-legged animals. Essentially, the Mk 262 for a 1:9 twist rifle-- and at fairly low velocities, like you'd find with your load at 100 yards and change.

That's based off of laboratory testing and very limited real world evidence, though-- and again, on bipeds and not deer. The 60 grain Nosler is also recommended for such rifles, but not for its fragmentation characteristics, IIRC. In fact, I think it's one of the suggested substitutes for bonded bullets and work on barriers-- i.e. retains mass, like a good hunting bullet should.

I would definitely shoot a few pigs to get a better idea. It'd suck to wreck good meat in a learning process-- and at least the hogs are plentiful.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    The 60 leaves a small entrance and exit hole through the hide. It leaves a much bigger hole in the rib cage entry and exit area. In between, the heart and lungs are torn up. The 60 Partition, because if it's design, holds mass well.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Does any one know how well a 69gr SMK will preform on deer, will it stay together (mostly) giving a good shot placement, and not hitting bone?
    My load is going 2850 fps, I would think if the body stays together and only the tip fragments it should perform as well as a 55gr hunting bullet.
    Neck shot, ~60 yards, destroyed the spine and passed through.

vgodenwa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Gloster, MS
    Shot a deer once with a 75 TAP. Did ok, but visibly less reaction than more powerful rounds. Deer only went 50 yards, but stumbled and leaned against trees while slowly bleeding out. 115 yards from 16" colt 1/9". Doe. Round tumbled and exited. No fragmentation visible. Have pics somewhere.

168 smk American eagle factory load out of 20" .308 also about 115 yards blew up in chest and killed buck quickly. No exit. Went about 25 yards. No pics.

Never used 69gr but these may be of interest.

Von

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

It will yaw and then fragment violently above around 24-2500fps most likely.

Top Bottom