72 years ago today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yep our greatest heroes are dying by the hundreds every day. It is a shame so many people abuse our freedoms we have, thanks to all who gave and served our country. My father in law was a WWII veteran and if he was still alive, he would be very disappointed at how people burn and step on our flag. It's to the point i can't watch the news. My deep respect to all those that have served and are still serving today. I just pray at some time our freedom as we know it will not be lost.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    This year we lost Ike Dugas, aged 102. Gunner in B-24s. Bombed Ploiesti. Made 50 missions. Until the end his mind was still razor sharp. Up until a couple years ago he still mowed his lawn and drove. When taps was played by the color guard at the gravesite there wasn't a dry eye in the house, including me.
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/ike-dugas-obituary?pid=1000000177225595

Ike and I would have lengthy conversations during family gatherings, mostly about aviation in general but The War would come up on occasion. He had one line that summed up his service. "We had a job to do. We knew the seriousness of it. We knew the stakes. And we did it without pissing and moaning about it."

They are the Greatest Generation and I owe them a debt I cannot repay.

---------------------------------------------

If you remember the highly sanitized movie version of the speech Gen. Patton gave to the Third Army prior to D-Day, you owe it to yourself to read the whole speech, in his words.
    http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=1264

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I (unfortunately) am a part of the generation known as "the milleneals". The shame I feel when I have to compare The Greatest Generation to my counterparts is unbearable. We contribute nothing to our society but ask everything of it. I only wish I could be apart of a generation that contributes so much to our nation and the world as they did, instead my generation will be known as those that destroyed, perverted, and ruined America and all that who came before fought for.

I am sorry for what we have become.

Last edited:

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    And 74 years ago, June 4-7 was the Battle of Midway. I was trying to find a TV program related to D-Day but nothing was on. I grabbed my Victory At Sea and was reminded about Midway.
    Thank You to All of our Vets.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Used to, history and nat geo would air ww2 shows on the anniversary dates,... Now its just more of the same BS reality shows.

Creoleman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Metairie,La.
    I (unfortunately) am a part of the generation known as "the milleneals". The shame I feel when I have to compare The Greatest Generation to my counterparts is unbearable. We contribute nothing to our society but ask everything of it. I only wish I could be apart of a generation that contributes so much to our nation and the world as they did, instead my generation will be known as those that destroyed, perverted, and ruined America and all that who came before fought for.

I am sorry for what we have become.
    ...And we, the "Boomers", made you Millenials. But I see a fair number of good kids around. More than you'd think, so don't give up hope, and don't disparage your generation. And to all those WW2 vets, living and gone to glory (including my old paw-paw), my eternal thanks and gratitude.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    My wife and I had one of the greatest days of our lives a few months back. Drove in to New Orleans and pick up my dad, who is a WWII Vet and 96 years old., We went to the WWII Museum. which turned out to be one most humbling and gratifying days of my life. To be able to spend a day with my dad and hear the first hand stories added so much to the overall experience. He was a Master Sargent with the Air Corp station at Tibenham England with 445 Bomber Group as a crew chief. We spend a great deal of time in the Boeing Aviation hall. He told me all about the B17 and B24's he worked on. There is an engine on display and he could still tell me what each and ever part was on that engine. While in the museum people of all ages would come over and listen to him as he would be discussing the planes and the war. Many would then thank him for his service and they all treated him with the utmost respect. All generations need to look back at this generation and learn from it, they were and some still are the greatest generation.

Top Bottom