7mm-08 vs 223 single shot for wife thats scared of recoil

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goatman

Gone hunting or fishing!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    So my wife is scared of my shotgun. Now I gotta get her one of these 7mm-08 or 223 for the season.

I've never shot either one of them except 223 in Ar platform. Shes just terrified about the recoil.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    How about a 300 Blackout? If you have a suppressor for it, that will eliminate what meager blast it has, as well, and will turn it into something even the most explosion-shy person would like, I would think?

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Why a single shot? Stock fit, rifle weight, the recoil pad, and other things can have a huge impact on felt recoil. To answer your question about the 7/08 it just depends. In a light weight rifle that doesn't fit well, it can be painful. If she's terrified before she even shoots something you're going to have to get past the mental issues first. Lots of rounds with a 22 then moving to a nice 223 or 243 could be the way to go.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    She shoots my 20 gauge at skeet and now she got ahold of my sabot slug and it now scares her. Single shot was for primitive hunting season.

You know it has to be .35 caliber or larger to be legal for primitive arms right? 35 Whelen, 44 magnum, 444 Marlin, 45-70 etc. 44 mag would probably have very managable recoil.

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    If you want to use it for primitive and regular season. Look at the h&r handirifle in 44 mag.
    The 7mm-08 is a .243 case necked up for a 7mm bullet. .243,7mm-08 and .308 are the same case just necked for the different calibers. I would use the 7mm-08 with the managed recoil 140 gr. should be the same kick as the .243. I use a 7mm-08 for my regular season rifle. The .243 will do the job but if you make a marginal shot you probably wont find it, with the 7mm08 you probably will. As usual shot placement is key. Let me know if i can help i have the rifles in stock

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I would see James (gmshooter) for the rifle and the reduced recoil ammo and if he cant get you set up with an optic see Jay at Sport Optics in Hammond, also known as interstate guns I believe. Good guys over there.

I shoot a 7mm-08 in a browning a-bolt, gf shoots a 7mm-08 in savage. It is a great round for anyone and we both find the recoil very manageable. Several kids that hunt with us at the camp shoot it as well.
    Good luck.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    James has Nikon Prostaff's as well, I bought one "on sale" at a big box store for the same as his regular price, wish I'd have gotten it from him!

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    James has Nikon Prostaff's as well, I bought one "on sale" at a big box store for the same as his regular price, wish I'd have gotten it from him!

Well there ya go. That is a great scope for the money. one sits on top of my tikka in a 4-12x
    Seems like you can get all you need in one trip for a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I used a 243 Win for years to hunt in western Pa. Now I use a 7mm08. Honestly with a 120 grain 7mm bullet I don't feel like the recoil was any better or worse than 243 win.

Dave

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    why not get her a 44 mag in the single shot , no recoil

I had a Handi rifle in 44 mag and it is not accurate to say that it has "No recoil". Especially when the OP is talking about a lady that is terrified of recoil.

Recoil is a very subjective thing. Some can tolerate a lot and some can't tolerate any. My wife will flinch with a 22LR.

Top Bottom