870 Super Magnum

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Where should I take my 870 Super magnum to get it backbored? And maybe the forcing cone lengthened? There is a guy selling a forcing cone reamer but I don't know if i can do this myself? I know I can't backbore it! Anyone know a good place?

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Try Lloyd Landry @ 225-647-1909. He may be able to do it for you. He is a BS member and lives in Gonzales, not far from Snow's on Airline.

Bryan

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007

LLoyd was my high school teacher. One of my only memories of 9th grade was his excellent teaching of snakes and the myths that accompany.

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007

My ole turkey gun shoots real good but I want it to cut the head right off!

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007

Probably really need to leave it alone. The area right past the chamber that necks down is called the forcing cone. Apparently reaming it out and making it longer and honing it real smooth helps the shot transition more smoothly into the barrel. the shot in the back of the load deforms much less from being pushed by the gases behind it and at the same time being held back by the shot in front trying to "neck down" as it hits the transition to the barrel. The load then stays more dense with higher velocity and tighter patterns. Also supposed to reduce "FELT" recoil, though I don't understand that part of it!

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Not to hijack the thread but I have recently(this week) attempted to contact Loyd L. to see if he could cut my 870 bbl to make a HD gun. I left a message and even mentioned that he came recommended via bs.com. No returned call. Anyone know if he still does gunsmith services? I am looking to get this done soon and wanted to keep the $ local in the pville / gtown area ;)

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    He is still around to the dismay of other. He has been shooting several matches over the past few weekends. Did you try him at the number above? I don't have his e-mail address with me. I'm not at home and can't find it at the moment. If you can send me a PM with you phone number and e-mail address, I'll see that he gets it. Just give me a few days.

Bryan
    "Beauxdog"
    L-2311 :)

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    LSP972... to answer your question, I purchased a cheap 870 as a project gun and I have sanded it down and plan to refinish. I purchased an 8 shot mag extension and I want to cut the bbl down to where it's even with the mag ext. I have no plans to ever hunt with this gun. Simply a project gun to make a home defense gun.

My uncle loaned me a portable band saw. Could I cut the barrel with that? It has a rail so any tips on how to mark / cut it straight?

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    LSP972... to answer your question, I purchased a cheap 870 as a project gun and I have sanded it down and plan to refinish. I purchased an 8 shot mag extension and I want to cut the bbl down to where it's even with the mag ext. I have no plans to ever hunt with this gun. Simply a project gun to make a home defense gun.

My uncle loaned me a portable band saw. Could I cut the barrel with that? It has a rail so any tips on how to mark / cut it straight?

I'd buy the barrel on LA sportsman.com, and sell the one you have to re-coup some of the cost.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/classifieds.php?sec=classifieds&act=full&adID=60652#pictures123922

HOWEVER, if you do plan on using the Porta-band (which should work just fine), I'd recommend that you measure 4x before cutting. Less than 18" = jailtime, most of the HD barrels are 18.5" to keep from haveing a bad measurement by the JBT's.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I am looking at about a 20" bbl to clear the 8 shot ext. I should be fine. I hear you about buying the bbl on sportsman. The barrel I plan to cut had stage 4 cancer (RUST) and was put through the ringer. I don't think I would get much for it and anyhow, I need a 20" barrel. Thanks for everyones input. I will show pics as I get closer to a finished product.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I am looking at about a 20" bbl to clear the 8 shot ext. I should be fine. I hear you about buying the bbl on sportsman. The barrel I plan to cut had stage 4 cancer (RUST) and was put through the ringer. I don't think I would get much for it and anyhow, I need a 20" barrel. Thanks for everyones input. I will show pics as I get closer to a finished product.

Didn't know about the serious rust problem, I thought by sanding, you meant the wood :o when you cut it, just try your damnedest to make a straight cut so you won't be cleaning it all up with files/sandpaper/etc...

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Again, sorry to hog and hijack this thread... LSP972 many thanks, it's a done deal. I cut the bbl a few minutes ago (after a practice cut!). I had to cut it a bit longer than I wanted due to the vent rib...

It came out fine. Now just awaiting a few parts via e-bay and brownells and hope to re finish next weekend. Once the finish is done, I will re assemble the gun and show off my pics.

Oh, I read all about the "dimples" in the mag tube all over the INET. Took the dremmel to it and the vanished. Thanks again, more to come. This time I will start my own thread.

Again sorry for hijacking!

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I dig the all black HD gun look... I am going with Aluma Hyde II from Brownells - matte black. I read a bit about a few options and opted for this route.

Top Bottom