94' Toyota Celica ??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    So my GF is looking at a 94' Celica hatch with 158,xxx. everything looks good from the pics but are there any common problems that I should look out for before she gets it? I have looked up and some have 300,xxx + miles. Not sure if thats something thats common. Anyone ever had one? Thanks for the help :)

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I bought a 1980 Celica GT brand new and drove it for 23 years. I couldn't tell you how the newer ones go, but the old one was my favorite. It was like losing a family member when she finally had to be retired.

I'd say that if it was well maintained, you GF should be OK; but ALWAYS have a used car thoroughly checked by a mechanic you trust BEFORE you buy it.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    So my GF is looking at a 94' Celica hatch with 158,xxx. everything looks good from the pics but are there any common problems that I should look out for before she gets it? I have looked up and some have 300,xxx + miles. Not sure if thats something thats common. Anyone ever had one? Thanks for the help :)

*See if they'll let you bring it to your mechanic for a look over.

*Manual or Automatic?

If manual and clutch hasn't been changed yet, look for that to be changed soon.

If automatic, ask when it was recently serviced. Automatic transmissions need fluid and filter change every 40k or 60k. I can't remember which interval.

*Check compression on all cylinders.

*Look for oil in the antifreeze and antifreeze in the oil.

*Drive it and see if the temp gauge stays in the normal range or runs hot.

*Tread life on tires.

*See if the brake pads are running thin or if they have some pad material left.

*Look at the rotors for scaring or glazing.

*Check braking. If it has ABS, try braking hard on loose gravel and see if it engages.

About all I can think of right now.

HammondShooter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Albany, Louisiana
    If the car has a timing belt and not a chain, make sure they changed it around the 90,000 to 100,000 mile point. I've had relatives with Toyotas with about that mileage where the belt gave out and messed up the motor, as they never had it changed.

Shane

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    I had a 80's something 18-R engine very good car, however my son started driving it with fast take offs that would brake the timing chain and bend valves in the head . I figured it out after the second time he was caught spinning out . Was not hard for me to fix myself but I was a young man then. If your gF passes on this car PM me as I am in Franklinton .Grand D. looking for something cheap also. BTW: That car probaly has a R-22 engine .

Last edited:

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to check it out, we should be able to look at it this weekend. She really just needs it to get to school and work when she finds a job :p.. Shes in nursing school so hopefully this car will last until she gets out of college

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom