9mm 1911 Opinions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    I recently saw the Warren Tactical 9mm 1911 on http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/02/16/potd-warren-tactical-series-9mm-operator/.

This got my interest up in a 1911 chambered for 9mm. Do any of you own a 9mm 1911? Thoughts on them in general?

I have a nice 1911 in 45 and understand that this is sacrilegious to own one chambered in any other caliber :p. I have no real need for something like this, but I just can't seem to shake the idea of nice, accurate, handsome 1911 in 9mm.

bonewagon

Carbon Sasquatch
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Jeff Davis Parish
    I bought a Citadel 1911 9mm from Academy when they were $329 and I enjoy shooting it as much as I do my other seven 1911 45acp pistols of different manufacturers. Yes it is cheap and I didn't want to spend a bunch and find out that 9mm 1911's were jam-o-matics. I must have a really good one because it runs like a champ. I bought two more Metalform mags for it and it is one of my favorite fun 9mm's to shoot. Just my 2 cents. I would eventually like to get a STI Spartan in 9mm and see how that runs, but can't bring myself to spend a ton of money when this cheapie Citadel runs so good. Not marketing this brand by any means. I am just sharing my experience with the 9mm in the 1911 platform. By the way, my very first pistol in 1968 was a Llama 1911 in Super 38/9mm parabellum. Paid $75 for that one and it got me hooked on 1911's. I just couldn't afford anything more at the time. I know you will have fun with yours whatever brand you buy. Lots of others here will hopefully share their experiences. YMMV.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I bought a Citadel 1911 9mm from Academy when they were $329 and I enjoy shooting it as much as I do my other seven 1911 45acp pistols of different manufacturers. Yes it is cheap and I didn't want to spend a bunch and find out that 9mm 1911's were jam-o-matics. I must have a really good one because it runs like a champ. I bought two more Metalform mags for it and it is one of my favorite fun 9mm's to shoot. Just my 2 cents. I would eventually like to get a STI Spartan in 9mm and see how that runs, but can't bring myself to spend a ton of money when this cheapie Citadel runs so good. Not marketing this brand by any means. I am just sharing my experience with the 9mm in the 1911 platform. By the way, my very first pistol in 1968 was a Llama 1911 in Super 38/9mm parabellum. Paid $75 for that one and it got me hooked on 1911's. I just couldn't afford anything more at the time. I know you will have fun with yours whatever brand you buy. Lots of others here will hopefully share their experiences. YMMV.

I've had similar results with my citadel... Wanted to "try" 9mm 1911's without taking a 1k dollar plunge, and finding I don't want/need one. Ran 100% from the factory, Trigger is light, but not as crisp as my TRP. Overall I'm happy though, and it definitely shoots a lot better than a 300 dollar pistol should. I'm happy with it. I rarely shoot it, since I have so many pistols and I'm trying to get proficient shooting 1 platform so I can hopefully compete one day, so I'm not going to buy another 9mm 1911 since i'm content in this ones abilities.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I put about 10K rounds though a STI Trojan in 9mm and loved it. USPSA and training classes... had maybe 3-4 malfunctions in that period that weren't directly user related. HK eventually pulled me away from the 1911 but a 9mm in 1911 that runs well is a special thing.

Last edited:

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I put about 10K rounds though a STI Trojan in 9mm and loved it. USPSA and training classes... had maybe 3-4 malfunctions in that period that weren't directly user related. HK eventually pulled me away from the 1911 but a 9mm in 1911 that runs well is a special thing.

My 9mm Trojan has close to 5k rounds through it. Not one malfunction. Probably the best choice in the $1k range.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I loved my 9mm Trojan but it didn't love winchester white box ammo, and since I'm a cheap bastard, I traded it. From what the new owner told me, it runs like a top on any ammo other than WWB.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    My Sti Spartan 9mm is the most accurate center fire pistol I own. Change the front sight to a target blade and you can be competitive in bullseye with it.

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    USPSA and training classes

I have toyed with the idea of getting into USPSA/IDPA locally, but didn't want to muddy the thread topic. Can you be competitive with the limited mag capacity against glock 34's etc.?

There seems to be a positive opinion on STI 9mm 1911's. I'll have to read up more on them.

It's nice to hear that the Range Officer performed well. I've had good experiences with the Springfield 45 1911's I have, and that's partly what had me excited about the Warren edition listed above.

My Sti Spartan 9mm is the most accurate center fire pistol I own.
    Do you reload for it or use factory ammunition?

Last edited:

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    In my opinion, For the money you can beat the Springer 9mm 191. I've seen them list anywhere from $900 to $1200.
    I have the Springer 9mm 1911, and Love it, Had some mag issues (Factory and Wilson mags) with it when I first got it.
    Order some 10rd Metalform Mags and has been 100% malfunction free for well over 6000rds (Reloads and factory Ammo).

I can't comment on STI, I have no experience with them. I'm just going off what I have had dealing with.

Last edited:

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    I am on my fifth 1911 platform 9MM---it is a Rock Island with about 1500 rounds through it---
    not naming or saying there was anything wrong with any of them. I really enjoyed shooting
    all of them, the others cost at least twice as much as the Rock Island---the Rock Island is the
    only one I have left. I have friends that say a 1911 is only a true 1911 if it is a .45. Try one,
    make it the brand you like. If you don't love it they are really easy to sell. Good luck!!!

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    It isn't a 1911 (although very similar), but maybe try a Star Super B. They have a few slight differences from the 1911 but at under $300, it is hard to beat.

Last edited:

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    Bryan, Which model Springfield are you referring to?

I see the Star B's on Aim Surplus' website occasionally. They seem neat but not quite the direction I was trying to go.

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    Went to Ferrara last week and ordered me a TAC II 9mm to match my TAC II 45acp I bought myself for Christmas! Best value in a 1911 is Rock Island. This makes
    4 and have NEVER had any issues.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I've had the Springfield 1911 in 9mm, and I currently have a Dan Wesson PM9. The 9mm 1911's are never as accurate as a .45, but they shoot well. Mag issues with all mags at some point. Can't load full 10 rounds in any of my 10 round mags without feeding issue. especially with my Kart barrel. But the guns shot well and I do get 1" 5 shot groups at 25yds with my loads. Value wise I agree with a previous poster that the Springfield Loaded is the best value for your money.

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    I've had the Springfield 1911 in 9mm, and I currently have a Dan Wesson PM9. The 9mm 1911's are never as accurate as a .45, but they shoot well. Mag issues with all mags at some point. Can't load full 10 rounds in any of my 10 round mags without feeding issue. especially with my Kart barrel. But the guns shot well and I do get 1" 5 shot groups at 25yds with my loads. Value wise I agree with a previous poster that the Springfield Loaded is the best value for your money.

Do you see any true added value in going with a Warren Tactical semi-custom vs a SA Loaded/STI Trojan or Spartan/etc. when considered from a value vs price perspective.

Top Bottom