9mm Major............................get in here

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    So I have the bug to build an open Glock. I have questions,

1) Why not ?

2) Whats your favorite load ? Give me the goods.

Thats it. Lets hear it.

Thanks

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    70116 is a member who shoots on open M&P in 9 major, haven't seen but 1 open Glock. He load I came up wirh for his gun was a 124 jhp by montana gold at an OAL of 1.165" with 6.7gr of Autocomp powder and standard small pistol primers. For my STI I needed 6.9 grs. Guns run smooth and flat. 7.2 gr of 7625 works well, but you get powder spillage on a progressive if you try to go too fast.

ENVPMBR Shooter

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La
    I use Autocomp 6.6gr with a Precision Delta 124jhp with a small rifle primer in my 9 major gun. This load makes 171 pf major. The only problem you might have is that you will have to load factory length for the Glock. Autocomp is a great load and it is cheap too.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Go ask this question on the Brian Enos forum and you will got lots more feedback. Better yet just do a search and you will have days worth of reading.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    The Load that Vigilante Sniper gave you is used by many folks now. The OAL (1.165) is too long for a Glock though. I was chatting with Chuck Ingram yesterday and he runs an OAL of 1.150 with 7 gr of AutoComp in his STI and different bullets. Your PF will vary with the bullets, barrel and comp you use. 124 gr + or - seems to be the ideal bullet weight for 9 Major
    I'd suggest starting with an OAL that you know works, a light load and a good chrono and work your way into a comfortable major load. You're also going to need a threaded barrel and comp. Jager has a bunch of stuff for Glock Major - check them out.

Have fun.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Thanks guys. That's what I came up with in my searches but most of the info is kinda old.
    Rodger that on the OAL for the Glock. 124 Montana Golds are what I shoot now.

I sent my slide to Unity Tactical to get milled. Usin a JPoint on their mount

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Thanks guys. I have threaded barrels and am just going to make my own comp. I have not looked at Jegger yet though.

Any reason I can't use the green egg bullets ?

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Thanks guys. I have threaded barrels and am just going to make my own comp. I have not looked at Jegger yet though.

Any reason I can't use the green egg bullets ?
    velocity may be a little too high for Bayou Bullets

Thought you had your eye on that Cheely 9mm? :naughty:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    135g will be easier to make major. 147g would be really easy. I have seen the green 124's do fine at major PF and some not, depends on the gun and load. The gold is suppose to be able to be pushed harder.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    I've been told by 2 knowledgeable people that 147's are not suitable for major loads. They each said that it would be dangerous to try, particularly in a Glock or M&P, not specifically designed for Major loads.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I've been told by 2 knowledgeable people that 147's are not suitable for major loads. They each said that it would be dangerous to try, particularly in a Glock or M&P, not specifically designed for Major loads.

I cannot find the reloading manual I was looking for right now.... however there is published data for 147g bullets that makes major under normal pressure. If 147g bullets were not suitable for Major loads then they wouldn't be suitable for +P and +P+ defense loads.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    But for a compensated gun you want the pressure and velocity. Most open guys shoot the lightest bullet they can and make major. Lots of guys pushing 115's around 1500 fps.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Go ask this question on the Brian Enos forum and you will got lots more feedback. Better yet just do a search and you will have days worth of reading.

I've been reading a lot. As I said, most of the info was a couple years old. No need to ask it there. Plenty of folks here that know what they are talking about without the drama.
    Thanks though

velocity may be a little too high for Bayou Bullets

Thought you had your eye on that Cheely 9mm? :naughty:

While I want to make that jump, I don't shoot well enough to buy it. I can however, make one with what I have with little out of pocket. Maybe someday I'll grow up ! lol

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    While I want to make that jump, I don't shoot well enough to buy it. I can however, make one with what I have with little out of pocket. Maybe someday I'll grow up ! lol
    It's not how you shoot, it's how you look!!
    If/when you're ready, let me know. I'll get you hooked up with Matt.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I shot 135 bayou bullets and Ferrara bullets out of my Caspian open gun with no leading issues. I can't remember my exact load but it was 6.3-6.6ish but loaded out to 1.169. I couldn't tell a difference between it and my 124 montana golds but then again I sucked at open so what do I know.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Kay Clark Miculek runs Donnie's 135's in her open 38super. Super or 9 will run same velocity. I intend to give the 125's a go once my super is built. Won't know unless I try.

Top Bottom