A Couple M1A Questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I picked up a brand new M1A a couple months ago from a fellow member. I was curious if people normally shoot them with iron sights (it has NM sights on it) or do they typically put a scope on them? If so what scope would you guys recommend? I am thinking in the $300 range.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I like to shoot mine with the iron sights only...more of a challenge in my opinion. Mine is a pre-ban standard and my buddy who I go shooting with has a new Loaded model with heavy barrel and I think the front NM sight IIRC. We shoot a Sherburne and when the range is cold we would go out the 100 yd mark and talk about our targets. Guys who shoot next to us look at them and comment on how good our shooting is and they are mostly using scoped rifles--we both say its the guns, not us. Try it with the iron sights first...I think you'll like what you see!!

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    The M1A is the last true "Rifleman's Rifle" and the purists will say iron sights only. However, your rifle is yours to modify, and optics help compensate for less than 20-20 vision. If I were putting a scope on an M1A, I'd go with no less than a 3X9 and as bright, large tube as I could find (to gather more light). Here is a link to one of my favorites...

http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/trophy-xlt/3-9x-40mm-matte-black-multi-x-reticle

One thing to remember is that with a quality optic, you TRULY get what you pay for, and once you have used a really high quality,clear, bright scope you will NOT want to use a lesser quality scope again.
    Here is a link to a website that I have done a lot of business withand they have always given great service. Lots of brands/types/choices here for you.

http://www.opticsplanet.com

Best of luck!

matt99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Shreveport
    I bought mine with one of Springfields scopes. Its calibrated for .308 and mil dot.

I really like it. The gun shoots great at 300-500yd and I havent stretched it out any further. You will love the gun.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Depends on what you want to do with the rifle. For match shooting, the NM sights are good out to 600 yds (probably further, but that's as far as I've shot). However I wouldn't use those sights for hunting. You would get a faster sight picture with standard aperture sights. Don't waste any money on the Springfield mounts for a scope. I've tried different versions on both my M1A's and wasn't satisfied. I'd recommend Sadlak or Bassett, with Bassett being my preference. I currently have one of the SS 10x42 scopes on one rifle and thinking of mounting one on the other rifle. The other rifle currently has an ACOG TAO1NSN on it, but it's a little high for me to get used to, and can't be adjusted lower. I like the 4x picture though and am still trying to figure out a compromise between the 4x ACOG and 10x SS. For target shooting or long range the SS 10x42 works well and can usually be found for less than $400.

david mitchell

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    near mandeville
    I tried several mounts until I found one that worked, mounted a gen 3 scope and still shot 2 inches at 100 yds. Scope was too high for me and I just use the iron sights. After all one can send several rounds if the first don't work.

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I would prefer iron sights to glass also but my eyes over ruled me. I have a Nikon 4-16x40 Buckmaster with BDC reticle and I really like it. Shot a nice deer with this set up this year. Most scope mounts that allow you to still use the iron sights will sit the scop a little high as does my Sadlak. To compensate I use a removable strap on cheek rest from Tactical Works, inc with a piece of close cell foam pipe insulation under it which gives me a good cheek weld and sight picture. Scope or no scope all depends on the individual. Go with what works for you and welcome to the M1A group.

This is the cheek rest I use

TacticalWorksCheekRest_zps04aac4aa.jpg

Here it is on a rifle (not mine). I don't use the shell holder but I guess you could. It does have a zipper pocket behind the shell holder to store Scope DOPE or other small items. It's made from cordura and the cheek side has a smooth soft patch so you don't sand your cheek from recoil.

TacticalWorksCheekRest-2_zpsabe2a486.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom