A few questions about making a SBR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    I would like to make a SBR out of a Master Piece Arms MPA-10 pistol. From the research I have done it appears I will have to fill out a form 1 and get the chief law enforcement officers signature. I live in Houma and would assume that Sheriff Vernon Bourgeois would be the signature required. If anyone on here is from Terrebonne Parish, do you know if he has a problem signing off on NFA weapons? Another question I have is on the overall length of the firearm. As I am not supposed to have the stock in my possession before the BATF gives the ok how do I go about this. Do I just estimate what I think the shortest overall length would be?? Any help from those of you who have done this would be greatly appreciated.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    1) there are ways to get around the CLEO signature and the fingerprint cards by using an LLC or Trust.
    2) i've read that you can estimate the overall length, but i wouldn't put a stock on it. i believe the overall length is with a stock fully extended. for instance, i believe my rifle is 35" fully extended, i want a 10.5" barrel, so i'll just subtract roughly 5.5" (i have a 16" barrel) from it and say the overall length will be 29.5".

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Just call the manufacturer you plan to buy the stock from and ask them for the length. This should give you a pretty close estimate. Don't forget to fill out your state paperwork to register a firearm before you send off your form 1.

Good Luck

BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    Where do I find information on the state paperwork that is required. I was not aware that I had to register the firearm with them as well. Just thought that if your state allowed NFA weapons it was only up to BATF to register and approve.

ETA: Guess I should have followed Richard in LA's link. Never realized that was on the LSP website. Thanks.

Last edited:

BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    Ok I went to the link and reviewed the form. I am assuming you have to request to register with the State of LA the SBR that has not been made yet nor has been approved by the BATF (makes perfect sense:rolleyes:). I could not find any fee listed for registering with the state nor if the document must be notarized or sent in with any other info than just that one form.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Where do I find information on the state paperwork that is required. I was not aware that I had to register the firearm with them as well. Just thought that if your state allowed NFA weapons it was only up to BATF to register and approve.

ETA: Guess I should have followed Richard in LA's link. Never realized that was on the LSP website. Thanks.

You need this form as well.

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chDealerReg.pdf

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Registering with the state is the easiest and fastest part of the whole process. I love getting those little envelopes in the mail marked La. Department of Public Safety and Corrections. ;)

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    So is registering with the state as a manufacturer a one time thing? Or do you have to do it with each SBR you build? Im assuming its a one time thing for the manufacturer and then you have to register each SBR you build after that on the first form linked?

Last edited:

JumpmanUSC

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 23, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    So is registering with the state as a manufacturer a one time thing? Or do you have to do it with each SBR you build? Im assuming its a one time thing for the manufacturer and then you have to register each SBR you build after that on the first form linked?

Yes, one time thing.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA

DealerReg is a one time thing. The FirearmReg, you do with each one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom