a reintroduction

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Hello all.It's been almost a year since I was last here so I figured I reintroduce myself. I'm a NOLA native. I recently finished law school and took the bar exam in July. I have a SW99 in .40, a SR9c, and a Yugo underfolder AK. I should also be receiving a Sig M400 enhanced this week. I haven't shot in almost a year so I'm looking forward getting back out to honey island with my "arsenal"

Now that school is over, I'll have more time to shoot, hang out on BS and train my akita. She's a beautiful animal in need of guidance. Don't know if she's gun shy though. Any dog-friendly ranges out there?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Now that school is over, I'll have more time to shoot, hang out on BS and train my akita. She's a beautiful animal in need of guidance. Don't know if she's gun shy though. Any dog-friendly ranges out there?

What are training her to do?

For Gun Shyness you just start over as if she were a Hunt Dog and a puppy.

Feed her outside on one side of the house, while you go on the other side with a cap gun.
    Next while feeding her, stand up to 30 ft away and clap your hands loudly.
    Then while over her head.
    (If at any time she startles, just back up, and reduce the noise/increase distance.)
    If she can handle a CLAP over her head while eating you can then move on to a gun with blanks. I picked up some .22 Blanks for my Walther P22.
    Fed my pup on one side of the house, while firing the gun on the other side.
    Next day, moved to the same side of the house he was on.
    Eventually I could stand over him and fire.

You do it while they are eating to associate it the noise with something good, FOOD!

You also do each stage, per day. Even if you feed twice a day. But pay attention to her. If she bucks on a cap gun from the other side of the house, then walk 30 yds away on the other side of the house and go from there.

I would NOT take her to the range if she's scared of guns.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Welcome back. The Book of the Akita by Joan M. Brearley is a good place to start.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Welcome. Please don't be one of those attorneys that tries to stiff health care professionals in PI cases. I recently won a judgement against a BR attorney. He paid the day collection could begin. Sadly it looks like I'm going to have to take another to small claims court. I now look at suing attorneys as part of the process. As a result we have highly restricted our personal injury cases. We turn away personal injury patients frequently now. Sorry for the rant. Good luck with the BAR. I hear it is a bear.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom