AAR: VATA Tactical Pistol 1

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    VATA Tactical Pistol 1
    Covington, LA
    5-15-2011

Weather:
    Great day for shooting, clear and sunny.

Class Turnout:
    Approx. 22 shooters. Mixture of LEO and civilians.

Instructors:
    Greg Lapin, Destin Mounts, and 2 guest instructors (not sure they want to be named)

Summary:
    So I've slacked off lately on doing my AAR's... so I decided to go ahead and get this one out before I forget too many details.

This was actually the second day of training, the first day was Intro to Tactical Pistol, second day was Tactical Pistol 1. I skipped out on the first day, and only came for Tactical Pistol 1 (I had previously attended Intro - Tactical Pistol 2, I was just coming again for some good training and range time).

Arrived at the range about 8:15, people were starting to arrive (class was for 9:00). Around 9:00 the class got started with an overview of firearm safety, discussion of what to do in case of a medical emergency, etc. After this, we pretty much went straight to the firing line, to get things started.

The day started with each student firing one at a time, and being individual critiqued by an instructor, they were really focusing on the fundamentals, trying to fix any issues before we moved on. After this, we went into some different drills, then finished up the morning working on one handed shooting...then broke for lunch.

After lunch, we got started again working on some drills, then we progressed into the basics of shooting while moving. First we working on turning 90 and 180 degrees to face the target, drawing and firing. Then we progressed to actually moving towards the target while shooting. Proper footwork, sightpicture, and fundamentals were all explained again, demonstrated, then we did "dry runs / airgunning", before moving into actual shooting on the move. The class was split in 2, with half the students actually moving in a line, firing when commanded, then we switched, etc.

After shooting on the move, the class advanced to engaging multiple threats (shooting multiple targets). After this, everyone also shot a DOD qualifier, to see how they had progressed over the two days, then the class finished up with a friendly competition... everyone shot the "el prez", which was scored and timed!

Final Thoughts:

Overall, it was a great class. We did have alot of students, but VATA was well prepared, with 4 instructors... This gave about a 4:1 student-instructor ratio... which I thought was quite good...the entire time there was an instructor watching, making corrections, yelling some friendly taunts... etc.

For EVERY drill, a instructor first explained and DEMONSTRATED the drill, then everyone got on the line to do it. This is really something that I have come to appreciate with classes... first they explain, then SHOW you how it's done, so there really isn't any question what is going on. Drills that required movement or engaging multiple targets were either done with one student per instructor, or split into groups... so a lot of the time it was either 1:1 with an instructor, or 2:1.

After the class, all the instructors hang around and are available for questions or just general chats... it's laid back, and there's no rush to take your money and get you out of there.

Overall, like I said before, this was another great VATA class... something I think that is important to mention is that even if you have taken a class before, there is always something new to learn, plus you get to practice skills that can't be practiced at a square range (moving, multiple targets, drawing from holster, malfunctions drills, etc)... so you really can't go wrong taking a course, even if you've done it all before.

Shooting...or perhaps I should say "fighting"... is a perishable skill... if you aren't training, you'll lose it when you need it the most.

Thanks to all the instructors, our class photographer... and all the students for a great training day. I got to meet several BS's, it's always good to put a face with a name.

Stay safe.

Aaron

P.S. I might have missed some stuff, or got something out of order... so if someone catches something, lemme know!:cool:

VATA has some new classes up... Tactical Shotgun and Advanced Concealed Carry are in the mix!

zonblitz

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Slidell LA
    Nice AAR Aaron! Also want to add that Greg said he has a special added feature in store for the next Tacitcal Pistol 2 class and the Advanced Concealed Carry coming up! Nothing to add to your AAR, I think you covered everything.

Top Bottom