Advice for CCW applicants

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    I made the pilgrimage to Baton Rouge today to drop off my application. Although I got my fingerprints done here in Lafayette, I would advise anyone to go turn in their app and get printed at the LSP in Baton Rouge, bring a $10 money order with you. The reason is, they rejected my prints that I'd done, and had to get them redone there. Once they do them at the LSP, they send them to the fingerprint approvers/disapprovers right then and there while you wait.

If I'd mailed in my app and faulty fingerprint card, they told me it probably would have been an ADDITIONAL 15-30 days to straighten it out. I have a feeling that was an optimistic estimate. YMMV. FWIW, I thought the original prints looked pretty good.

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    did they say what was wrong with the original one???

No. The only thing I could see was that there were a few small ink smudges from someone laying my signed picture on top of the card before the ink was dry, but the smudges were not on the fingerprinted area, just the blocks for name, address, etc.

b36rjm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    long time renewing

It seems like it has taken me two months to get my permit. I still don't have my CHP. I sent my app in 3/3/09. My wifes app was accepted without question and she received her permit 5 weeks later. My app was looked at on 3/26/09 according to the LSP return letter. I did not check the box for military service, so they sent the app back. I immediately returned the completed app. Today, two weeks later, I am still not in the computer. I was told to check back in three weeks. Oh, my permit expired on 4/28/09.

Looking through the La. Statutes, LRS 40:1379.3, section H(2), The LSP shall issue permits "timely and without delay". I will be calling the Attorney General's office on Monday to file a complaint regarding this violation. The LSP permit unit is violating state law and the office needs to be brought up to proper manning levels to expedite permit applications.

L

Louisiana Shooter

It seems like it has taken me two months to get my permit. I still don't have my CHP. I sent my app in 3/3/09. My wifes app was accepted without question and she received her permit 5 weeks later. My app was looked at on 3/26/09 according to the LSP return letter. I did not check the box for military service, so they sent the app back. I immediately returned the completed app. Today, two weeks later, I am still not in the computer. I was told to check back in three weeks. Oh, my permit expired on 4/28/09.

Looking through the La. Statutes, LRS 40:1379.3, section H(2), The LSP shall issue permits "timely and without delay". I will be calling the Attorney General's office on Monday to file a complaint regarding this violation. The LSP permit unit is violating state law and the office needs to be brought up to proper manning levels to expedite permit applications.

How is it someone else's fault that you didn't fill out the application correctly?
    It would seem that LSP is processing things in a timely fashion and that you are the one who caused the delay.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I got mine in 20 days, another forum member got theirs in 19 days. I think the LSP is doing a great job processing permits with the increased demand. EVERYONE I dealt with in the CHP office has been great. They even under promised and over delivered with the turn around time. The only problem I have with the CHP process is that you have to go through it at all.... Vermont has it right.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You would be nuts to call the attorney general. It was your mistake. As if.

The digital machine at LSP is great. I have used it five times now. Four times for ATF/FBI fingerprinting and never had any rejected. Plus its fun having the ladies chat you up about while they print you.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

Your mistake, get over it.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods

When blowing a wad at the poohlice always remember to yell " I pay your salary "

Look very threatening and move your hands around a lot , in and out of your pockets is best.

When they get really scared they'll co-operate

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    sent my paperwork in for 3rd renewal w/out errors and fingerprints from LSP in BR, turned everything in on Nov 11, before they hired more staff (more than 90days as requested), rec'd new license 3/09, 5 weeks after it expired, 120 days after being sent in, it never took that long in the past, and like I said no errors, I guess they were so backlogged with all the new apps, but I was a 3rd time renewal

Top Bottom