After 4 Years North Carolina is dropping the M&P.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    why do they use so a "specific" round? It isnt really a norm/cheap like 40/45acp

The 357 SIG is no more expensive than 45 ACP especially when you factor in an agency contract at the price the are usually able to negotiate. As far as the 357 SIG ballisticly it is a great round. The US Secret Service still use it as well as the Federal Air Marshals and several other state police agencies that have never had issues. A lot of times with state contracts they do change with the administration. New Governor usually means new state police brass etc. That admin change usually has more of an effect or reason on any "switch" or "new duty gun issue" than a major problem with the firearm. The one exception was the Indiana state police. They went to the Glock 22 and immediately had issues that Glock wouldn't address. They went to the model 17 in 9mm and were happy but wanted a different caliber. Then last year they adopted Glock 21's in 45 acp in GEN 4. They again immediately had issues again and are now getting ready to adopt the new SIG 227 (basically a double stack 220 in 45 acp). ISP tried to do Glocks (several of the firearms board troopers were Glock fanatics) but with all the issues the new superintendent decided SIGs were what they would do.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The 357 SIG is no more expensive than 45 ACP especially when you factor in an agency contract at the price the are usually able to negotiate. As far as the 357 SIG ballisticly it is a great round. The US Secret Service still use it as well as the Federal Air Marshals and several other state police agencies that have never had issues. A lot of times with state contracts they do change with the administration. New Governor usually means new state police brass etc. That admin change usually has more of an effect or reason on any "switch" or "new duty gun issue" than a major problem with the firearm. The one exception was the Indiana state police. They went to the Glock 22 and immediately had issues that Glock wouldn't address. They went to the model 17 in 9mm and were happy but wanted a different caliber. Then last year they adopted Glock 21's in 45 acp in GEN 4. They again immediately had issues again and are now getting ready to adopt the new SIG 227 (basically a double stack 220 in 45 acp). ISP tried to do Glocks (several of the firearms board troopers were Glock fanatics) but with all the issues the new superintendent decided SIGs were what they would do.

Wow. That sounds like a fiasco. :doh:

in625shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    Wow. That sounds like a fiasco. :doh:

It was. This was back in 2006/07. Out of around 1,200 Glock 22's about over100 were having FTF/FTE issues. they rotated those guns to the firearms instructors and they did the same issues with them so the weak grip/limp wristing theory was quashed. (ISP has a pretty intensive firearms program) Glock flew in an engineer from Europe and the guns did the same thing. They ended up replacing them with the Glock 17's. (ISP went to the Glocks from the Beretta 96G 40) Everyone was happy with the 9mm and every shooting by them was a success. There was a desire to go with the 45 and deja vu with the Glock again. This time they had a few issues of FTF/FTE and the mags were not dropping free when empty like they wanted them too on the GEN 4 Glock 21's. ISP then "supposedly" allowed troopers to carry personal owned department approved 45's or get re issued Glock 17's until they got the SIG 227's

The Indiana Conservation Officers have used the SIG 220 in 45 since the mid 1990's and are VERY happy with it so I'm sure ISP will be very pleased with their SIGs as well. Hopefully North Carolina will fair as well.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The numbers don't lie on .357 SiG. It ain't that great. It's not any better than 9 or .40. It is way more expensive when you factor in life cycle cost. In the two instances where I have first hand knowledge when the agency switched to .357 they saw qual scores drop.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    My choice would be Ameriglo sights on Gen 4 G17 for Uniformed Personnel and Gen 4 G19 for Non Uniformed Personnel with HST 124+P or Gold Dot 124+P ammunition and call it a day.

Knave

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My choice would be Ameriglo sights on Gen 4 G17 for Uniformed Personnel and Gen 4 G19 for Non Uniformed Personnel with HST 124+P or Gold Dot 124+P ammunition and call it a day.

I want to say I agree with this 100%, though I have some vague memory in the back of my mind about 124+P vs. 147. Can't for the life of me remember..something about barrel lengths and penetration? Why do you prefer the 124+P? VG, why do you prefer the 147?

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I want to say I agree with this 100%, though I have some vague memory in the back of my mind about 124+P vs. 147. Can't for the life of me remember..something about barrel lengths and penetration? Why do you prefer the 124+P? VG, why do you prefer the 147?

With the same ammunition the 124+P normally expands slightly more and has slightly more energy than the 147 and the 147 has slightly more penetration.
    The Gold Dot is Bonded and the HST stays together like Bonded ammunition through hard barriers.
    The largest LEA in the nation has excellent results in OIS with Gold Dot 124+P.
    The 124 and 147 rounds are proven to work on the street.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville

I prefer the heavier beans due to the way the recoil impulse feels.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It's always a compromise. Against a barrier I'd rather have 147gr, against flesh I'd rather have 124gr. Maybe I need to just quit worrying about it and switch to .357Sig.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    It's always a compromise. Against a barrier I'd rather have 147gr, against flesh I'd rather have 124gr. Maybe I need to just quit worrying about it and switch to .357Sig.

There will be plenty available in a few months in North Carolina. :cool:

MONK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    small observations

Whenever I see a mini-Glock in .357 Sig at In-Service I always watch (kinda like a train wreck). Then I'll ask to shoot a couple rounds to reaffirm why I would never want to buy or carry one. I will say the LEO's I see shooting them of their own volition are usually quite capable of handling the violence.

if you are hung-up on the 9 124gr vs. 147gr just stagger them in your mags after you confirm your carry gun will eat them in that configuration.

I have killed many clothed gellitin rectangles and some even behind sheetrock. No matter how great and fun that crap is bullets don't work and more.... fast and accurately is better.

monk

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Whenever I see a mini-Glock in .357 Sig at In-Service I always watch (kinda like a train wreck). Then I'll ask to shoot a couple rounds to reaffirm why I would never want to buy or carry one. I will say the LEO's I see shooting them of their own volition are usually quite capable of handling the violence.

if you are hung-up on the 9 124gr vs. 147gr just stagger them in your mags after you confirm your carry gun will eat them in that configuration.

I have killed many clothed gellitin rectangles and some even behind sheetrock. No matter how great and fun that crap is bullets don't work and more.... fast and accurately is better.

monk

If you do not like a G33 you should not like a G27.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

Because I'm not a ballistics guru. I just base my opinion of the most recent FBI Test.

MONK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    Yep I've had many chances to buy a G27 at "discounted/on the firing line" prices (this thing hurts when I shoot it or it doesn't shoot well)

I don't own a G27 and wouldn't, and I carry a G23 daily, G22 mission specific, and a semi retired G35.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    FBI Ballistic Test Protocol:

Briefly, the performance standards are simple. A handgun bullet must consistently penetrate a minimum of 12 inches of tissue in order to reliably penetrate vital organs within the human target regardless of the angle of impact or intervening obstacles such as arms, clothing, glass, etc. Penetration of 18 inches is even better. Given minimum penetration, the only means of increasing wound effectiveness is to make the hole bigger. This increases the amount of vital tissue damaged, increases the chance of damaging vital tissue with a marginally placed shot, and increases the potential for quicker blood loss. This is important because, with the single exception of damaging the central nervous system, the only way to force incapacitation upon an unwilling adversary is to cause enough blood loss to starve the brain of its oxygen and/or drop blood pressure to zero. This takes time, and the faster hemorrhage can occur the better.

The FBI Ammunition Test Protocol is a series of practically oriented tests to measure a bullet's ability to meet these performance standards. The result is an assessment of a bullet's ability to inflict effective wounds after defeating various intervening obstacles commonly present in law enforcement shootings. The overall results of a test are thus indicative of that specific cartridge's suitability for the wide range of conditions in which law enforcement officers engage in shootings.

The test media used by the FBI to simulate living tissue is 10% Ballistic Gelatin (Kind & Knox 250-A), mixed by weight (i.e., one pound of gelatin to 9 pounds of water). The gelatin is stored at 4° Centigrade (39.2° Fahrenheit) and shot within 20 minutes of being removed from the refrigerator. The temperature of the gelatin is critical, because penetration changes significantly with temperature. This specific gelatin mix was determined and calibrated by the U.S. Army Wound Ballistics Research Laboratory, Presidio of San Francisco, to produce the same penetration results as that obtained in actual living tissue. The 10 % gelatin has been correlated against the actual results of over 200 shooting incidents. Each gelatin block is calibrated before use to insure its composition is within defined parameters. Copies of the test protocol are available upon request for those interested in duplication the testing or reviewing the procedures in greater detail.

The gelatin blocks for handgun rounds are approximately six inches square and 16 inches long. As necessary, additional blocks are lined up in contact with each other to insure containment of the bullet's total penetration. Each shot's penetration is measured to the nearest 0.25 inch. The projectile is recovered, weighed, and measured for expansion by averaging its greatest diameter with its smallest diameter.

The Ammunition Test Protocol using this gelatin is composed of eight test events. In each test event, five shots are fired. A new gelatin block and new test materials are used for each individual shot. The complete test consists of firing 40 shots. Each test event is discussed below in order. All firing in these eight tests events is done with a typical service weapon representative of those used by law enforcement. The weapon used is fully described in each test report.
    Test Event 1: Bare Gelatin The gelatin block is bare, and shot at a range of ten feet measured from the muzzle to the front of the block. This test event correlates FBI results with those being obtained by other researchers, few of whom shoot into anything other than bare gelatin. It is common to obtain the greatest expansion in this test. Rounds which do not meet the standards against bare gelatin tend to be unreliable in the more practical test events that follow.
    Test Event 2: Heavy Clothing The gelatin block is covered with four layers of clothing: one layer of cotton T-shirt material (48 threads per inch); one layer of cotton shirt material (80 threads per inch); a 10 ounce down comforter in a cambric shell cover (232 threads per inch); and one layer of 13 ounce cotton denim (50 threads per inch). This simulates typical cold weather wear. The block is shot at ten feet, measured from the muzzle to the front of the block.
    Test Event 3: Steel Two pieces of 20 gauge, hot rolled steel with a galvanized finish are set three inches apart. The steel is in six inch squares. The gelatin block is covered with Light Clothing and placed 18 inches behind the rear most piece of steel. The shot is made at a distance of 10 feet measured from the muzzle to the front of the first piece of steel. Light Clothing is one layer of the above described T-shirt material and one layer of the above described cotton shirt material, and is used as indicated in all subsequent test events.

The steel used is the heaviest gauge steel commonly found in automobile doors. This test simulates the weakest part of a car door. In all car doors, there is an area, or areas, where the heaviest obstacle is nothing more that two pieces of 20 gauge steel.
    Test Event 4: Wallboard Two pieces of half-inch standard gypsum board are set 3.5 inches apart. The pieces are six inches square. The gelatin block is covered with Light Clothing and and placed 18 inches behind the rear most piece of gypsum. The shot is made at a distance of ten feet, measured from the muzzle to the front of the first piece of gypsum. This test event simulates a typical interior building wall.
    Test Event 5: Plywood One piece of three-quarter inch AA fir plywood is used. The piece is six inches square. The gelatin block is covered with Light Clothing and placed 18 inches behind the rear surface of the plywood. The shot is made at a distance of ten feet, measured from the muzzle to the front surface of the plywood. This test event simulates the resistance of typical wooden doors or construction timbers.
    Test Event 6: Automobile Glass One piece of A.S.I. one-quarter inch laminated automobile safety glass measuring 15x18 inches is set at an angle of 45° to the horizontal. The line of bore of the weapon is offset 15° to the side, resulting in a compound angle of impact for the bullet upon the glass. The gelatin block is covered with Light Clothing and placed 18 inches behind the glass. The shot is made at a distance of ten feet, measured from the muzzle to the center of the glass pane. This test event with its two angles simulates a shot taken at the driver of a car from the left front quarter of the vehicle, and not directly in front of it.
    Test Event 7: Heavy Clothing at 20 yards This event repeats Test Event 2 but at a range of 20 yards, measured from the muzzle to the front of the gelatin. This test event assesses the effects of increased range and consequently decreased velocity.
    Test Event 8: Automobile Glass at 20 yards This event repeats Test Event 6 but at a range of 20 yards, measured from the muzzle to the front of the glass, and without the 15° offset. The shot is made from straight in front of the glass, simulating a shot at the driver of a car bearing down on the shooter.
    In addition to the above described series of test events, each cartridge is tested for velocity and accuracy. Twenty rounds are fired through a test barrel and twenty rounds are fired through the service weapon used in the penetration tests. All velocities are measured and reported.

Two ten-shot groups are fired from the test barrel, and two from the service weapon used, at 25 yards. They are measured from center to center of the two most widely spaced holes, averaged and reported.

Test barrel results demonstrate a round's potential independent of any weapon factors which can affect performance. Test barrel results are the purest measure of inherent capability for accuracy and velocity. Repeating these tests with a service weapon shows how well the cartridge/weapon combination may realize that potential.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Those of you in LE can get a copy of the report free from the Bureau on Agency Letter Head. It is Classified LE Only but its the best tool for picking Duty Ammo Short of doing a full blown test in house.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    In other words...the FBI spends a ton of time and money doing the most thorough cartridge testing out there. If .357Sig was all that they'd be issuing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom