After all that trouble to get my permit...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Don't mind me. I'm just ranting.

So I just called LSP and they said they put my permit it in the mail this morning. I mailed my application off 57 days ago. This is after I had to go to the "fingerprinting place" 3 times because I forgot my photo and then the fingerprinter gets ink on the photo.

So I'm FINALLY getting it....and a coworker of mine told me yesterday that our boss has indicated that we are all being moved to Houston in the next 4 to 6 months. Now I have to go through that whole process again! :rofl:

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    IIRC you are suppose to turn it in as soon as you move. The Texas requirements are VERY similar to Louisiana's. They also require at least 6 months of residency. But you can get past this if you otherwise qualify and pay an additional fee (I think). The only think I did notice was that if I qualify with a revolver, I have to retake the class and requalify if I want to carry a semiautomatic. Also it seems like the application is actually done online and you can pay the fee with cash, credit, personal check, or money order. I found that surprising.

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    That sucks for people moving. So you are out in the cold for 6 months.

Well, like I said, I think there's a way to get around that if you are moving into the state to become a resident.

Barney88pdc said:
    F Houston!!! I would rather get another job.
    It really depends where you live. The Spring/Woodlands area in north Houston is really quite nice. We actually had plans to relocate there in the next 5 years or so anyway. And everyone kind of saw the move coming anyway. Of course they haven't announced anything officially yet, but I'm pretty sure it's for real.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    It really depends where you live. The Spring/Woodlands area in north Houston is really quite nice.

I grew up in that area. Its definitely not Houston. Different demographic completely. The Tomball area isn't bad either but has grown a lot since I moved from Texas. I know I'm biased and land locked to Louisiana by marriage but in my opinion Woodlands > than any part of La.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    That sucks ass... Live there as a non resident for at least 6 months ...
    while you get yourself set up and get that 6 months of residency thing under your belt...

Or does 6 months of residency require having and texas DL????

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I am a Louisiana boy who has spent half of his life in Texas. Keep your LA permit. The fact that you qualified for it will satisfy most LEO's, who are looking for Bad Guys. Also, understand that the Texas laws are very different from any other state. Texas law has a prohibition of carrying any "prohibited weapon" in public or having a pistol in public. Shotguns and rifles are not, and never were, prohibited. The law has never been enforced uniformly and is rarely used against normal folks. But, that depends on which jurisdiction you are in. Texas DPS has a website that explains some of this and may help find an approved instructor. Just don't do anything stupid and you'll be OK. Go ahead and apply for your Texas CHL asap. Any gunshop can help, also.
    leVieux

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Tomball is next to the City of Cut and Shoot, Texas. You'd be the only one over there not carrying.
    It is a much nicer area than it used to be. Good luck !
    leVieux

eagle359

AARP Newbie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Terrytown, LA
    My family and I spent five weeks in Katy after Katrina. I liked the place. Housing prices were great. The best thing about Houston is Collectors Firearms. If you can afford it the Woodlands are nice.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    The Woodlands is hell for kids though. They have great schools, but there is a huge drug and alcohol problem in them. I went to High School there...I know for a fact.

I wouldn't recommend raising a family in The Weedlands unless you are extremely rich, because we lived comfortably on my dad's 120k or so salary, but I wasn't considered cool because I didn't get a brand new BMW, Mercedes or Hummer for my 16th bday.

It is hell on how a kid will percieve the world. If you have kids, don't move there.

Katy and Spring are good schools though. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom