Air Gun Advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    Hey guy's i am looking for an air rifle, target-varmint is the intent. Springer or air,i have been shopping and they have way to many out there. Any advice/ help would be welcome, thanks in advance, Ed.

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    Let me know what you end up buying. I have wanted one for a long time, but don't really have a need, just want one.

I have been thinking about a RWS or a Beeman. I've shot the RWS that belongs to a friend and it is very accurate out to twenty-five yards or more. I've shot plenty of Benjamin pumps and Sheridans and they are not very accurate and very slow on subsequent shots. I don't want a $500.00 rifle, but don't want junk either.

Buddy

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    SpeedRacer has a Gamo with which he's been very disappointed. I found them to be too plasticky for my taste. As I've posted before, I've been pleased with my Crosman Storm XT.

How much do you want to spend?. I'd say at a minimum you should go with the Storm or Beemans at Wal-Mart for $110 - $125. If you want something higher-end, it goes up from there, as with all weapons.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Cool! I think you'll really like the Storm. I notice that the newer boxes at Wally World state "new improved trigger." The factory trigger, along with the crappy scope rings, were my only 2 gripes with mine, and I corrected both. If you haven't already, see this thread for links to the excellent 1-piece scope mount I installed, as well as the GRT-III trigger. Maybe the improved trigger will make a trigger upgrade to yours unnecessary.

They are indeed surprisingly powerful. I test-fired some HP pellets into a cardboard box which I lined with a trash bag and filled with water. At a range of 13 yards, they penetrated about 16" through the water. I often see shots go completely through a rat at 13-15 yards, even using HP pellets. SpeedRacer said he uses the pellets which have the small BB embedded in the tip. He said he gets better 1-shot kills on rats with those than with anything else. Either Daisy or Gamo makes those pellets, and they're at Wal-Mart. I want to try those.

Whenever I get some spare time, I intend to post a few informal test results, as well as the battlefield reports from the continuous, bloody war against rats I wage using my Storm.

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I've had a Chinese under barrel cocker for years now and I am always amazed at how hard it shoots and it's accuracy. Shoots a standard .177 pellet at over 800fps which is quite powerful. I can hit a lemon with iron sights every time at 20 yards.

The best part is it only cost 19.95.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Rat Poision

Whenever I get some spare time, I intend to post a few informal test results, as well as the battlefield reports from the continuous, bloody war against rats I wage using my Storm.

RAT POISION GREG
    Rat Poision ;)

I'm old school like my old Benjamins reminds me of a being a kid hunting squirrels and robbins (that's right I sais it :D) in Bunkie, La.

They still shoot good today. Have approx 20 of them many fixer upper but several good shooters. ie Rat/Possum Killers:mamoru:

100_1029.jpg

mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    I have a Webley Scott in 22 cal that pushes the pellet at 850 fps. It is 1 moa at 100 yards. It is a very potent air rifle. It is used for rodents and target shooting.

I also have a RWS used for offhand practice at 10 meters.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    I bought a Beeman dual caliber 22/177 at Walmart and WOW!. I haven't even tried it with 177 pellets yet. I have been killing squirrels like nobodies business. And it is extremely accurate too.

I can't remember what I paid for it but I know it was less than $200. Came with a scope which I used for a while but decided to go with the open sights instead. Easier to shoot in low light with the fiber optic sights it came with.

Be well.
    Al

Big D

NRA
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I have a Beeman R1 in 177 cal with a Beeman scope that I bought probably 20years ago; squirrels and rabbits don't have a chance.

Use to sit on the front poarch during the summer and shoot the wings off of dragon flies when they were preached on blades of grass; very accurate rifle.

Mine is still a shooter and if I ever needed another air rifle it would be a Beeman no second thoughts about it.

wjjmlg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    get an air arms s410. you will forget the rest. you just have to get used to the tank. second choice is a r7. you can shooot forever and never get tired. good luck

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    get an air arms s410. you will forget the rest. you just have to get used to the tank. second choice is a r7. you can shooot forever and never get tired. good luck

That s410 must be one heck of an air rifle for $1000! I can't think of any aluminum can that needs shooting that bad.

I haven't bought anything yet, but I think I'll keep it below $200. Beeman and RWS probably have something in that price range. I've heard a few bad reports on the GAMO.

Ed, did you buy one yet? :confused:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Those Benjamin/Sheridan guns seem to last and last. Have one BUT the break barrels shoot harder and can shoot quicker (you don't have to do multiple pumps).

If I had the doe-ray-me I would get me one of those I think it's called a Gamo Whisper. They are quiet which could come in handy.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    I still have an old RWS from when I was younger. It rocks. It's very accurate and I've killed many a squirrel with it. A .177 pellet will go all the way through both shoulders.

It's a one-pump system where you break the barrel and insert 1 pellet at a time. Mounted an old rifle scope on it.

snapnek

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Woodworth, Louisiana
    Buddy,
    I shoot a RWS 54 .177 and it's dead on accurate! It's the "Les Baer" of air rifles! One pull of the lever, insert pellet and it's good to go. It is kind of on the heavy side. You can tell it is a well made gun. I shoot the heck out of starlings from my back patio!! I have a bunch of purple martins that I have to protect and the RWS 54 does the trick!! It is also has no recoil. It's very nice. I don't think you would go wrong with any of the RWS guns.
    Alot cheaper to shoot than a .45 and quieter too.:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom