Air rifle groups

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Hey guys just went bought a gamo shadow 1250 today and trying to find out what kind of groups everyone is getting with their air rifles?

I don't know what is acceptable or not with these as it is my first one that is a precision air rifle and break action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I get decent groups at ten yards with mine...about the size of a quarter. But with it being an airgun and all I do have the weird shot that is not anywhere near my quarter.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I get decent groups at ten yards with mine...about the size of a quarter. But with it being an airgun and all I do have the weird shot that is not anywhere near my quarter.

Ok. Here is a 4 shot group and the a group of 15 shots
    Also is a picture of some of the flattened pellets that were on the ground in front of the aluminum. These shots were made at 20 yds.
    qa9epuhu.jpg
    3ere5ygu.jpg
    unejyge8.jpg

8y5ana4a.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Sitting in the bed of a my pickup. Side of the bed supported the forend of the rifle.

Sweet! Did you sight the scope in, or is that just as it came? My Gamo needed lots of playing with to get the scope good.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Sweet! Did you sight the scope in, or is that just as it came? My Gamo needed lots of playing with to get the scope good.

I had to mount the scope and zero it. I do think gamo would be doing its customers a favor if they would make the scope adjustments 1/4"@25y or so. Instead of the 1/4"@100y.
    It took me about 30 minutes to get it real good.
    Shoots the tomahawk .177 leads good and loves the gamo blue polymer tips but it shoots those a littler higher due to the speed I'm assuming.
    It's FPS is rated on the PBA platinum but the group opened up about a .5 or so and had a flyer with it almost every group.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I had to mount the scope and zero it. I do think gamo would be doing its customers a favor if they would make the scope adjustments 1/4"@25y or so. Instead of the 1/4"@100y.
    It took me about 30 minutes to get it real good.
    Shoots the tomahawk .177 leads good and loves the gamo blue polymer tips but it shoots those a littler higher due to the speed I'm assuming.
    It's FPS is rated on the PBA platinum but the group opened up about a .5 or so and had a flyer with it almost every group.

Yeah, and you have a bit more space to play with than I do! Mine is a .22 and claims to hit 950 FPS with the PBA Platinum Pellets. I never use them. Ever. I like the slower, heavier ones. They hit harder and are quieter. Win win for me.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I almost went with the .22 caliber but I just didn't go with it.
    That's my in-laws yard. Mine is a little larger.

Thanks on the link for the trigger no adjusted this one and I actually don't think it is that bad but ill look into the other one.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My Gamo has their normal trigger that a lot of people don't like. It is a little stiffer than you would expect from a rifle...but it is very predictable and I actually like the nice slow pull of it. Works for me :P

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Looks about right. I still have daisy break barrel type. When I was younger, living at my parents, It grouped well enough to generally hit the cap of a soda bottle across the backyard (50 feet or so) and I could hit the Jack antenna balls of cars parked in my street from the front porch (not a smart idea). One time, I hit a squirrel from a tree in the neighbors yard and it fell into their hot tub (also not a smart idea).

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Yep. The trigger is predictable. It's a two stage though so it is suppose to be.

I would rather it "BREAK" than slip when it goes. When it reaches the point of it firing it isn't a clean snap per day but a sliding continuos pull.

I am pleased with the grouping at 20 yards and wanted to know what some of you other guys were doing. I picked this one up on sale for $124 and got some cabelas points. Had a couple other things I needed so I used a $20 off $150 coupon as well.

It is a little louder than the ones with that dampener at the end near the muzzle but I like this slim line barrel. I do with it had traditional sights on it though. One thing I'm not use to is the "twang" of the spring vs a traditional pump rifle.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I've got my fiancé's little brother over and we decided to setup a possom/rabbit/varmint scenario lol.
    Set the empty lighter fluid can at 35 yards and came back.
    Second picture is the damage after about 10 shots or so.

aguva2yt.jpg
    murasagu.jpg

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    Look into a replacement trigger that should help improve groups. I bought one installed it but have not had time to shoot it. It got great reviews and fits most high power air rifles.

http://charliedatuna.com/

This times 1000! You will never spend better money on a gun improvement. My whisper shoots so much better after the grt3 trigger it's like a different gun. The trigger is as good as or better than any I have used.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Well..... Bad news today. Shooting it about 40 minutes ago the reticle in the scope it came with broke. Changing it out to a spare I had the front scope mount stripped. Ill be returning it to cabelas next week when I get back in town. I read online that gamo has is notorious for having problems with their scope and mounts. (It should be a one piece mount supposedly)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well..... Bad news today. Shooting it about 40 minutes ago the reticle in the scope it came with broke. Changing it out to a spare I had the front scope mount stripped. Ill be returning it to cabelas next week when I get back in town. I read online that gamo has is notorious for having problems with their scope and mounts. (It should be a one piece mount supposedly)

I am on my second Gamo scope as well. The first one refused to be sighted in. You can email their customer service department and they will mail you a new scope.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I picked up my son a Ruger Blackhawk Elite. Says 1200 FPS. Its a great rifle. Pretty accurate with a 10 year old shooting. But of course the scope broke after 25 or so pellets. I guess Im gonna put my Bushnell Sportview on it for him. But for 100 bucks you cant beat this rifle. Its louder than my Gamo but just as good for less money.

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    Make sure that the scope is rated for a springer air rifle. If not, it will probably break. My whisper came with a one piece mount that has been good. That is what I would get if you have to buy one.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Thanks y'all. I'm going to return this one and exchange it for the same rifle unless the have gotten the viper IGT in. Then I may purchase the BSA air rifle scope if y'all think it is any good. I can't attest to the accuracy of this rifle anymore since it is sending fliers and I can't trust this scope. Ill adjust it and then after 8 shots to so need to re adjust it.

Is there a specific cleaning/maintience you are suppose to do?

Top Bottom