Ak 47 / 74

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jackthewack18

Wish i was Shooting
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Lafayette La
    i would like some information on the ak's (47 or 74) i have seen so many but have just realized i dont know much about them in fact i dont think i know anything about them other than a man named kalashnikov made it first and it shoots 7.62x39 any information would help thanks.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    That's a VERY broad question. Whole books have been written about the AK platform.

What info exactly are you looking for? And if you are considering buying one, what is your intended use for it?

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    That's a tall order man. You could start with Google AK-47 info, history, country's, models, or what every else you are looking for. Pages and pages about them has already been posted up on the web.

Edit to add
    :mamoru:

3 posts in 2 minutes by everyone you would expect :rofl: If I typed faster I would have been first :D

Last edited:

jackthewack18

Wish i was Shooting
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Lafayette La
    i was looking mostly for witch ones to stay away from and witch ones are high quality im not as good with my rifle information as pistols so anything will help and thank you for the book info ill try and get one soon.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    From my experience stay away from a century MANUFACTURED aks. They are not as well made as the imported aks. Problem is century also imports aks, so you need to carefully read the receiver markings. CAI is usually stamped on the imported guns, so those are fine.

Also good to get a gun with a chrome lined barrel over a non chrome lined. Most of the romanian and bulgarian imports have a chrome lined barrel, pretty sure the yugo aks do not have a clb.

General fit and finish can vary alot. An import may look a bit rough, but function just fine. Aks from arsenal and kvar are higher quality, and gunsmiths like red jacket produce very nice aks.

Alot to read up on, all good info.

Kino74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    Walker
    +1 to the above and just to add on a few things. Stick with the military magazines. They're cheaper and reliable. Decide on what configuration you want and the best way IMHO is to do searches on AK variants. I have underfolders, AK100 folder, AMD 65 folder, AK74 folder and fixed stocks of wood and composite. The underfolders and side folders on AMD65 tend to be a bit more uncomfortable than the other folders and fixed stock JMHO. Arsenal and Kvar do sell a lot of nice variants but the upfront cost may deter you depending on what budget you have. If you see a variant you like, you can always buy a Saiga and later on have a reputable AK gunsmith convert it to whatever style and configuration you want. Do not at anytime feel that converting a Saiga will leave you with a "sub par" or a "lower tier" rifle. The executive orders given in 1989 and 1998 forces all AKs to enter this country in a neutered configuration where upon companies like KVAR convert them into the configuration you see on their website. If getting a Saiga converted is your option, you're in luck as this board has some very fine AK gunsmiths the work they've done for me has been nothing short of outstanding.

cheese

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If you see a variant you like, you can always buy a Saiga and later on have a reputable AK gunsmith convert it to whatever style and configuration you want.

This is the route I'm planning on taking. :)

Kino74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    Walker
    This is the route I'm planning on taking. :)

You can definitely get creative on Saiga conversions. The sky is the limit on Saigas. This is my SBR Saiga in 5.56 next to my FS2000.
    1000177v.jpg

SeaZast

Nawlins AK Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Nawlins
    First. The AK47 generally shoots the 7.62x39 round developed in 1944-46(?) The AK74 (1974) generally shoots the 5.45x39 round, the Rüskie answer to the 223.

The 7.62x39 is heavier and more clumsy. The 5.45x39 is lighter, more accurate, but lacks a big punch.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wanted a Red Jacket AK but, I don't think I will ever have that much money. Nothing against Red Jacket. It's not their fault I can't afford their product. I know their firearms are probably some of the best I could get. I was reading this thread in hopes of finding what AK could be found that is reliable with the original military magazines and not cost more than 4 or 5 hundred. I'll check out Atlanticfirearms. I favor the 7.62 over the 5.45. I've been leery of the ones that I see at gun shows. There's something about a sling swivel that looks like it is fastened by a nail driven through the stock and ground off with a grinder. I'm going to look over at SLAKERS. Thanks for the reference.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    In my opinion the saigas are very reliable. You will have a good platform for sure. You could study up and do the conversion yourself and at the same time learn everything about your new rifle and how it works. I don't understand how people can trust any weapon without knowing how it works.

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I wanted a Red Jacket AK but, I don't think I will ever have that much money. Nothing against Red Jacket. It's not their fault I can't afford their product. I know their firearms are probably some of the best I could get. I was reading this thread in hopes of finding what AK could be found that is reliable with the original military magazines and not cost more than 4 or 5 hundred. I'll check out Atlanticfirearms. I favor the 7.62 over the 5.45. I've been leery of the ones that I see at gun shows. There's something about a sling swivel that looks like it is fastened by a nail driven through the stock and ground off with a grinder. I'm going to look over at SLAKERS. Thanks for the reference.

WASR will be reliable. Just not pretty.

I've got one with over 19,000 rounds through it if anyone would like to argue...

And know of several with over 75,000 through them...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom