Ak 47 advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J.wag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    poplarville mississippi
    So I'm at the beginning stages of searching for a decent ak. I have a buddy who is offering a norinco mak 90 ak for $600. Does that sound like a good way to go?

Should I go for a usa made version like century arms red army ? I see these new for 650$ ish at academy . What do you guys think? Any advice would help keep I'm mind I don't have a boat load of extra funds to dump into it.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    if it were me I would go with mak 90, they are great quality guns by norinco, I have 2 of them ,and 2 pre ban norincos, if its not already converted over to a pistol grip stock its very easy with compliance parts you can look up on the web,even easier if you wanna use tapco or pmags for compliance parts instead of military surplus, the only major thing with them is figuring out whether its a "straight cut" or "angle cut", I have both and it wouldn't stop me either way in getting it, just gives you a lot more options in a stock if its a straight cut, with a angle cut your kinda limited to IRONWOOD designs which is a great company but takes a while to get them in, a little back logged. It seems that mak90s are going for around 600 these days, I got both of mine about 10 years ago with well over 1000 rounds and 6 mags or so for $350 each, but then again that was a diff time, during the hype last year or 2 I saw maks going for well over 1200, make sure it has matching serial numbers, dust cover,bolt,reciver,bolt carrier ect, if so you cant go wrong they have one of the best barrels and the quality is way better than a wsar or any other imported ak, but real close to the saiga(Russian) I say go for it, and post some pics, you can prob convert if for under $200 easy to have a pistol grip stock, that's parts and furniture, or you can just get a cheap fiber force mak90 stock for now on ebay for prob $40 that will make a total diff in the feel and handling until you wanna change the stock to a pistol grip

Last edited:

J.wag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    poplarville mississippi
    Thanks for the advice ! Any opinions on the other options the usa made century arms? Or is the norinco the top of the food chain when it comes to the 600$ price range?

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Thanks for the advice ! Any opinions on the other options the usa made century arms? Or is the norinco the top of the food chain when it comes to the 600$ price range?

Yes it sounds like a god deal, post some pics. I am in the process of converting this back to a spiker.

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Put it this way, if you don't want it for $600, I do.

There are lots of Good AK's in that price range now, but a Norinco does have a bit of "getting harder to find" factor to it these days so I'd say it's worth paying the same price as you would an RAS47 or other comparable.

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    So I'm at the beginning stages of searching for a decent ak. I have a buddy who is offering a norinco mak 90 ak for $600. Does that sound like a good way to go?

Should I go for a usa made version like century arms red army ? I see these new for 650$ ish at academy . What do you guys think? Any advice would help keep I'm mind I don't have a boat load of extra funds to dump into it.

the mak 90 is a very well made ak and $600 is a good deal

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I would scoop up that Norinco double quick, before it is gone. You can always go to Academy next time, when you want to add to your AK collection.

J.wag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    poplarville mississippi
    Well missed out on that deal talked with him today and it has been sold. I snooze and missed out on a good deal unfortunately. Any suggestions on other places to look in the same price range?

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Well missed out on that deal talked with him today and it has been sold. I snooze and missed out on a good deal unfortunately. Any suggestions on other places to look in the same price range?

You might find a WASR for that price but not a MAK 90 anytime soon.

GO DAWGS

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Aug 24, 2014
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Agree with the others here, the Norinco Mak-90 is no doubt the best AK in that price point...I have a few of them and anyone that knows me can tell you those are my favorites and don't plan to part ways with them. As far as new production AK's go, can't go wrong with a Yugo Npap or Opap.

Top Bottom