AK ammo ?s

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    I should be getting my AK soon and had some ammo questions. I'm looking at brown and silver bear ammo on ammunitiontogo.com. I read that the laquer-coated brown bear leaves a residue. Is that a problem?
    Also, can anyone speak on the differences between hollow and soft point performance. I believe that the hollows don't expand. But are there any differences as far as accuracy and penetration (esp of solid objects, walls bricks and cars).

Thanks.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    As long as its NON corrosive you should be g2g.

Soft point will have less/slower expansion and more penetration, hollow point will have MAX expansion but less penetration, it just depends on what you trying to do.

I have probably 700 Rnds of Monarch 124 Grn FMJ Steel Casing NON corrosive, packed in 20 Rnd boxes that I can probably sell you if you think you might be interested, same thing as this ones, I also have 3 or 4 New or almost new 30 Rnd Polymer Mags, I will have to check once I get home tomorrow to see exactly what I have.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AW76239PFMJ&groupid=39

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Walmart now carries TULA ammo in 7.62 if you want to try it out. It is 4.97 a box, and it comes from the same place as Wolf ammo. I think the monarch at academy is the same as the bear ammo, and another decent option to check out by getting a few boxes locally.

Another favorite for cheap plinking ammo is Golden Tiger, at $179ish a $1000 is generally the cheapest option, but I have only seen Golden Tiger available online at that price.

I have never experienced any issues with any 7.62 ammo in any AK, so just get some ammo and go shoot.

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I should be getting my AK soon and had some ammo questions. I'm looking at brown and silver bear ammo on ammunitiontogo.com. I read that the laquer-coated brown bear leaves a residue. Is that a problem?
    Also, can anyone speak on the differences between hollow and soft point performance. I believe that the hollows don't expand. But are there any differences as far as accuracy and penetration (esp of solid objects, walls bricks and cars).

Thanks.

please dont say hollows unless you are brainless ghetto trash

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I have never shot any of the soft points but the wolf hollow points fragment more than expand. I shot a 70lb hog last year with them and most of the bullet exited the animal but there were some fragments left behind. Some AK's will feed hollow points and some will not, buy one box of them to see if it will before you buy a case and find out it will not.

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    I have never shot any of the soft points but the wolf hollow points fragment more than expand. I shot a 70lb hog last year with them and most of the bullet exited the animal but there were some fragments left behind. Some AK's will feed hollow points and some will not, buy one box of them to see if it will before you buy a case and find out it will not.

I'll most likely get seceral boxes of different brands and types.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Nothing wrong with saying hollows :)

But if your location is in fact "New Orleans" then you do live in the ghetto :D

As long as you're shooting out of an AK, accuracy differences among the types of cheap steel cased ammo is pretty much moot. As for terminal ballistics, you are correct the hollow points do not expand, but rather fragment. Soft points could potentially offer more penetration, but really any 7.62x39 isn't going to have much problem with penetration. A lacquer coating should not affect your AK.

Only thing to look out for, as said above, is anything that's "corrosive." Unless you obsessively clean your rifle all the time it's best to stay away.

My personal preference for AK ammo is the Wolf Military Classic HP. It has the Ulyanovsk "effect" round. And it's among the cheapest.

Top Bottom