Americana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    I have a thing for thing for photos from the New Deal era. One look into the faces and the story is told.

Note that in the early part of the series that nobody is smiling. Nobody. Not even at the square dance. The Depression is still hanging on and the winds of war are blowing. Times are tough and it's increasingly obvious that we're about to get drawn into a war we didn't want. Not much to smile about in those days.

Item 17 shows just how hard life was. Just trying to keep food on the table and clothes on your back was an ordeal. Our homeless today in some ways have it better than our forefathers then.

Note item 20. Count the children without shoes. Shoes are expensive and wear out quickly. Don't wear them unless you have to. Sunday to church is allowed.

During the war years the sense of duty was immense. We have a job to do and we're going to do it. The Japs and Krauts want to destroy our way of life and take away our Liberty. You can sense the urgency. The photo of the B25 assembly line sent a chill up my spine. I've been in that hangar and walked the floor at the old Fairfax airport. Tis hallowed ground.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Thanks for the link. That helps me to understand my dads mother saving every piece of twine, gift wrap, rubber band , etc. They worked incredibly hard for the possesions they had.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom