And they wonder why they can't get paid $15/hour

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Is it just the Chic Fil-A up here, or are all of the employees so friendly they must be in a cult or on drugs? I bet you could slap one of them in the face and they would tell you it was a pleasure being slapped by you today.

Joking aside, I love the Chic Fil-A, except for the sodium.. The store is always spotless, they have never gotten my order wrong, food is good. Screw the McD's.
    I don't go to chic fil-a, but that's how I feel about Raising Canes.

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I'm wondering what interviewing process is used by the better chain restaurants like canes and Chic Fil A? They use a process that that weeds out the under achievers and ill educated. . Because ultimately that's what it comes down to. No question the folks at the mc Donalds are not as well educated which is why they act the way they do.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Chic-fil-a definitely has a higher standard for their employees. I've chosen to refrain from Raisin' Canes ever since their corporate office forbade the local manager from assisting or complying in an incident when one of their employees spit his gum into a bagged drive-thru order given to one of our officers. I've found that Wendy's is pretty consistent and rarely shabby in their service or quality, same with Arby's, but the BKs and McDs are hit-or-miss across a wide range. There's a Taco Bell in my area that has a really locked-on crew, and they are long-lasting, the same faces there long term with a lot less turnover than one usually sees at a fast-food chain location. The local Popeye's is run pretty tight, too. Fifteen years of shiftwork on the street, you start to learn about these kinds of things.

swampjockey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Cut Off, LA
    Years ago, my Wife went to a Popeye's, and tells the girl she would like a quarter roasted chicken. To which the girl responded, "I'm sorry, it only comes in one forth or one half" I'm not making this up!!!! Another time at BK the computers were down and it took the cashier, yeah right, cashier, a calculator to figure out she owed me seven cents. and they're allowed to vote!!!!

Creoleman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Metairie,La.
    Years ago, my Wife went to a Popeye's, and tells the girl she would like a quarter roasted chicken. To which the girl responded, "I'm sorry, it only comes in one forth or one half" I'm not making this up!!!! Another time at BK the computers were down and it took the cashier, yeah right, cashier, a calculator to figure out she owed me seven cents. and they're allowed to vote!!!!
    You don't think that ninety-nine percent of fast food workers bother to vote, do you? And FTW, the McDonald's at Cleary and Veterans, Metairie. The. Worst. Ever.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I'm always amazed that they can't seem to snap the lid on the drinks all of the way or remember to put a straw
    in the bag.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Here's one for you. I stopped at the new Hardee's on O'Neal and went through the drive-thru.

Employee: Welcome to Hardee's. Would you like to try one of our Texas BBQ Thickburgers?
    Me: Yes, I'd like the 1/2lb version.
    Employee: Sir?
    Me: I'd like the 1/2lb version.
    Employee: Of what?
    Me: (in my head, "What you just f!@#ing offered me!") The Texas BBQ Thickburger.
    Employee: That comes in 1/3 or 1/2lb.
    Me: (in my head, "You don't say.") I'll have the 1/2lb version. I'd also like a large fries and I have a coupon for $1 off the fries.
    Employee: You can't use that coupon on the combo.
    Me: I don't want the combo, I just want the sandwich. I'd also like a chocolate shake.
    Employee: Would you like to get the combo and have the shake as your drink?
    Me: Will that be cheaper than using the $1 coupon?
    Employee: Yes
    Me: OK, do that. Then I have a coupon for two apple pies for $1.50. (2 pies, $1.59 pops up on the screen. At this point I'm mentally defeated and just let it slide.)

So I get to the window and pay. Then I'm told the pies will be a few more minutes and to pull around. While I wait the 5-10 minutes for my food to come out I check my receipt. Combo savings: $0.30. Yeah, that's not more than a dollar. Finally my food comes out and my shake is half melted as I assume they made that first and then it sat around while the rest of my food was cooking.

These are some of the reasons I rarely get fast food.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    When I worked out of Venice, I would pass through Belle Chasse around 1-2 am. Wanting to eat before getting to the heliport, I would go in the Bk drive through, and 4 visits in a row was told the computers were broken and I would see all the employees just lounging around...I caught on to their little game, finally gave up.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Sounds like most fast food places here in Lafayette. Service at any McDonald's is lackluster, any food at BK is cold, and Popeyes is extremely lackluster as well. Funnily enough, while in Vegas earlier this year, all 3 were outstanding! Maccas and Popeyes in our hotel on the strip were great, and the BK we stopped at en route to the grand Canyon was 1000 X better than anything close by here. It all comes down to the employees. Hire trash that doesn't want to work, or don't care about their job-get crap food and service. Hire people that doncare-great food and service. Good thing with the crap food and service here-stops me eating it so maybe I can actually lose a few pounds lol.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Your first problem rose when you walked into a McDonalds.
    Bingo. Food shouldn't be fast. I saw something on the internet a few days in regards to food:

What are the pros and cons of making food?

Pro: Food
    Con: Making

But seriously, I am kind of (ok, I am obsessed) a health nut and I just utterly refuse to eat the garbage that fast 'food' places serve. If I am in a rush, I would rather go by an Albertsons, Wal-Mart, or whatever major grocery store is in the area and go by their deli section. They always have fresh made snack / meal boxes that have meat with fruit or something. Or even a pre-made turkey wrap. Exponentially healthier than McDonalds stuff and I know, for the most part, what exactly is in what I am eating.

Report the store to McDonalds Corporate. They tend to have standards which they hold the Franchisee to maintain.
    Agreed. My dad 'treated' himself to McDonalds a few months ago for whatever reason and he was disgusted with how rude the employees were and how subpar the quality of the food was. He expressed his concerns to McD Corporate and they REALLY wanted to give him a $25 or whatever gift-card which he refused to accept. They did end up saying that they would talk to the district manager or whatever. Anyway, moral of the story is they DO care. If I were the business owner (franchisee in this case), I would want to know about problem employees.

Is it just the Chic Fil-A up here, or are all of the employees so friendly they must be in a cult or on drugs? I bet you could slap one of them in the face and they would tell you it was a pleasure being slapped by you today.

Joking aside, I love the Chic Fil-A, except for the sodium.. The store is always spotless, they have never gotten my order wrong, food is good. Screw the McD's.
    I don't go to chic fil-a, but that's how I feel about Raising Canes.
    All of them are like that. From what I have heard in various classes and from knowing a few people, the management training program at these places does not cut corners even a little bit. Good managers and bosses generally yields to better employee performance. I think they also have higher qualities on pretty much every standard as well. I'm not really too sure about that one though. One of my friends from highschool worked at Chick-Fil-A for a little bit and they started off his training by making him watch multiple videos that show you what is expected out of you and the such. I doubt McD or BK does something similar, but I could be wrong.

The food at CFA is actually decent if you look at the ingredients. If I am in a big rush it is one of the other places on my list that I will grab something at. Their chicken sammiches with all of the veggies and stuff are freaking delicious!

au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    Had an experience to remember at Waffle House last night (not fast food, but kinda) after the LSU game. It's a line at the door and as tables open up people jump on them before they're cleaned, and then the server cleans while taking drink orders. Well we reach the front of the line, and see a booth open up (3 of us, bigger guys). We walk over and take a seat. Our server walks over and proceeds to clean the table and place silverware before saying a word or smiling. She takes our drink orders and leaves. We get our drinks and she doesn't offer to take our food orders (as a regular customer at Waffle House when I can get it I know what I want within 10sec of sitting down). We flag her down to place our order and she seemed annoyed. She didn't have any other tables! Takes our order and leaves again. Finally, the food starts coming. One of my friends got his whole order. I got my side of bacon, and so did my other friend. Finally he got his waffle while I got my eggs/hashbrowns. Then a few minutes later I got my pecan waffle and he got his eggs/hashbrowns. Our server disappeared. About halfway thru my meal I was looking around for her for a refil on my drink. She was nowhere to be seen in the restaurant. I asked the server at the table next to us if she went home (she was getting fussed at pretty hard by a manager and another server for not washing her dishes as she goes) and the other server responded, "No, she's just very bad at her job." We looked at each other kind of in shock. Anyway, the other server got my drink, apologized for the service, and got a tip from the three of us that was probably more than the original server would have received had she done an adequate job.

To bs875, is it possible the offer for the Texas BBQ thickburger was a recording so he had no idea to which offer you were saying yes?

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    To bs875, is it possible the offer for the Texas BBQ thickburger was a recording so he had no idea to which offer you were saying yes?

No, it was the same person throughout. I do get a kick out of the McDonald's drive-thru recorded voice. Some pleasant sounding white girl saying, "How may I help you?". The first time you get a shock when someone else responds to your order request. WTF? Put Sarah back on!

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...Hand me my fast food at the window or give me back my money and I will go elsewhere.

Apparently they are graded by how long a customer sits at the window -- hence the direction to pull up and wait. I too have refused to pull up and wait; manager finally brought me my order.

Personally, I like McD's coffee -- nothing else, just the coffee. Burger King always seems to be slow and sloppy. I had never tried Chick-Fil-A, never paid any attention to the chain, prior to the controversy over the founder's comments on homosexuals. That got my attention, I tried a sandwich, thought it was about a good as such gets, and I've been a fan since.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Apparently they are graded by how long a customer sits at the window -- hence the direction to pull up and wait. I too have refused to pull up and wait; manager finally brought me my order.

Personally, I like McD's coffee -- nothing else, just the coffee. Burger King always seems to be slow and sloppy. I had never tried Chick-Fil-A, never paid any attention to the chain, prior to the controversy over the founder's comments on homosexuals. That got my attention, I tried a sandwich, thought it was about a good as such gets, and I've been a fan since.

I always order my Chic Fil-A with extra hate. The hate biscuits are very good. :)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    These are amusing stories!

Remember, a fast food job used to be a "part-time" or "Summer" job between schooling. Unfortunately, today people are trying to rely on these jobs as a career choice. This is a symptom of a terrible economy, crappy jobs market, and an ever growing very, very, unskilled and uneducated working class. Even a person that possesses a good attitude and work ethic will eventually become disgruntled when they realize they are in a dead end, and have no where else to turn. What is more scary is wondering where all of the people pouring out of high school and college are all going to find decent jobs with livable wages.

You all had best find the hilarity in these places, because the future will be chock full of them!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I refuse to eat anywhere that A) I can't see the food being made or B) serves me an entree in less than 5 minutes.

You fast food junkies should google search "truths of the fast food industry".

Paraphrasing:

Of 100 stores checked, 96 had never (ever) cleaned the inside of the ice chute for the drink station. 93 had mold in them.

Of the 100 stores, 14 employees were noticeably sick and coughing/sneezing and were told they couldn't miss the day lest be fired.

It goes on and gets worse from there...

honestly? I don't like to eat "stuff". I'd rather prepare my own actual food. No, what they serve there isn't food. When the employees there rant about wanting $15.00 an hour, I say "you know, when I travel overseas they have machines that do your job." When your job takes such little thought that you can be replaced with an Ipad, you might want to re-evaluate your life goals.

Minimum education
    Minimum decision making

Minimum wage.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom