Anderson AM-15 Zombie edition?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the Anderson AM-15 Zombie edition? There is one for sale at a local shop (at least there was as of an hour before their closing time today), and it is still priced at pre-gun madness price (just under $1,200) which seams in line with mail order pricing once you add shipping, of course all of those are showing out of stock now.

So what do you think? I have been debatin getting an AR for a while, should I jump in and join the craze?

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    I've never heard of the company, but if they are offering a "Zombie" model it seems difficult to take them seriously.

For $1200 you can buy a top of the line AR from a top of the line manufacturer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    So overall a no vote, just thinking it migt be interesting, not that I am into the whole zombie craze or anything, at least this one is not as over the top as some.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    at least this one is not as over the top as some.

Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. :rofl:

goodzombie3.jpg

Here's a good read on their AM15: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81263

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    Well I went around AR shopping today, once local store had about 6-8 in stock, but they were selling fast, prices ranged from $699 for a nice looking used Bushmaster on up to about $1499 in a a variety of brands, nothing I liked though, so I went back to the first store and looked at the Zombie model again, as it turns out they had one in the box that was the same model, but without the Zombie cutout on the front grip, and I broke down and bought it. Did some reading about Anderson last night, seems that some of the people at AR15.com have a bad taste about them using a company shill to promote their guns when they first came on the market a few years ago, but some other reputable reviews have came out since then, and only time will tell if their NO OIL metal treatment will hold up, so far there have been somewhat independent tests running 5,000+ rounds through with no visible metal wear and good operation.

Maybe I paid too much, maybe not, we will have to wait and see, it came with the gun, 2 magazines, and a hard case.

I will try to attach a photo, I really like the green metal finish, does not look too military, but is still sort of cammo themed green, picture taken in the trunk of my car close to sunset.

Ike

Attachments

• am15zombie.jpg
      am15zombie.jpg
      58.4 KB · Views: 149
    Last edited:

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    Just thought I would update this one,

How do you like it now that it is all (mostly) accessorized? Still has the Bio-Hazard logo, and Zombie Certified on the other side

am15zombieacc.jpg

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    "accessorized" isn't what it lacked before.

I'm not a fan of non-chrome lining on a .223/5.56 AR like that, and I really don't like the handguard. Otherwise... no idea if the internals are worth a poop or not. Other than that, it looks like an AR15.

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    "accessorized" isn't what it lacked before.

I'm not a fan of non-chrome lining on a .223/5.56 AR like that, and I really don't like the handguard. Otherwise... no idea if the internals are worth a poop or not. Other than that, it looks like an AR15.
    Don't hold back, Tell us what you really think...

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    I have my doubts about the RF85 no oil treatment (which includes the inside of the barrel, therefore not chrome lined), may be the wave of the future or may not, too early to tell. There does certainly seem to be some bashing of Anderson online, but it seems to all be by people that don't own any of their products, mostly accusing RF-85 being snake oil or complaining about their questionable shill marketing practices in youtube videos and on message boards. In my reading online I have yet to find anyone that owns one to have anything bad to say about quality or performance. The machining work on mine certainly seems to be to notch, although I do question some of their design feature choices like not having an ambi marked safety, and use of a standard charging handle.

Ike

ps I must also admit mixed feelings on the foregrip, but it is well built and free floating.

Last edited:

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    I have my doubts about the RF85 no oil treatment (which includes the inside of the barrel, therefore not chrome lined), may be the wave of the future or may not, too early to tell. There does certainly seem to be some bashing of Anderson online, but it seems to all be by people that don't own any of their products, mostly accusing RF-85 being snake oil or complaining about their questionable shill marketing practices in youtube videos and on message boards. In my reading online I have yet to find anyone that owns one to have anything bad to say about quality or performance. The machining work on mine certainly seems to be to notch, although I do question some of their design feature choices like not having an ambi marked safety, and use of a standard charging handle.

Ike

ps I must also admit mixed feelings on the foregrip, but it is well built and free floating.

Really? I'm only allowed to criticize something if I own it? That doesn't make any sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    I feel anyone can critcize anything they want to, just some topics can be more valid than others, saying they don't like the look, fine, saying they don't like the company because of marketing actions, ok I will give you that one, although it seems a bit harsh, saying it is junk because it uses an as yet unproven metal treatment without any evidence to back this up and that may be going far enough to discount anything else a person has to say. As to the RF-85 I don't know if it is hype, if it will hold up long term, etc. All I am saying is all the people bashing it seem to have no first hand knowledge and all the people with first hand knowledge are saying so far it seems to do what it claims to do. Is an RF-85 treated barrel better than a Chrome lined, I personally doubt it, but I don't know time will tell. I do know a few things though, the machine work is first class, is it done right, again I don't know, it may be done perfectly wrong, but generally machine work goes a ways to overall quality.

Ike

p.s. by bashing I was not directly refering to this message thread or even this board, most of what I have found was on AR15.com, but again as I have stated seems to mostly be done by people with no first hand experience with the company or the products beyond their marketing techniques.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom