Animals in a survival situation?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Im talking about mans best friend or cats... domestic inside animals. Are they an asset to have or just another mouth to feed. In a post apocalyptic end of days zombies are walking around type situation:eek3:. I just finished watching 28days later and i didnt see any animals in the vid leading me to wonder whats gonna happen to my puppy!! I see bigger dogs as useful, they could help you hunt and protect depending on what type of dog. I own a Doberman i think it would be more useful to have one than not. What say you knowledgeable BSers! (no i dont think the zombies will walk among us.. my mind just tends to wonder a lot :hs: )

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Another mouth to feed, yes, but realistically a starving animal will find its own food one way or another. I would absolutely want a well-trained dog or two around to alert me to potential dangers. Especially if there's no electricity for lights, alarms, etc.

Cats and all other furry pets should be killed and fed to the dogs.

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    A big dog coupled with a smaller dog more keen of hearing or alertness would be the best combination for security at night. In Germany, they pair miniature schnauzers with German sheppards as guard dog teams. The schnauzer can hear anything coming, they bark to alert the German sheppard which then neutralizes the threat. I know it's two extra mouths to feed, but table scraps and ditch water is pretty much all they need. They'll eat organ meat from animals too, something we can't do as much.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Yea. I kinda figured you could eat the cats if it came down to it, they are good to keep rats and bugs out of the house. Small rat dog could be useful... i really couldnt see myself using my dog as food hes a member of the fam to me. I think it would be an asset to have a couple of good multi use dogs around for hunting taking down wild hog that would also jump into action to protect you from someone. My doberman is a big ol' teddy bear to most people, but if it came down to it i have no doubt that natural instinct would kick in and he would protect me if he needed to. It would also be an intimidation factor... i think i would be less likely to break in to someones house with an 80lb doberman barking at me through the window... but thats just me

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    my two mini dobermans HATE visitors (especially in uniform)! the cats are ok, they can survive on lizards and snakes (which they do now) and are all trained to use the bathroom outside... i dont see it being a big burden.. just raid the vet for heart worm meds

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I personally have thought hard about this.. studied it some as well.. If left to the laws of nature, the wild dog becomes 30-40 lbs , short hair, and typically healthy aside from individual problems and smarter..

I have hopes I never have to eat my pets, but I am prepared to if they cannot protect me anymore or I cannot keep them in food..

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    I have Rat Terriers and they are like alarms if anyone pulls up in the driveway or even if someone is walking near the house so thats going to be an asset. Their other role is they are great squirrel and rabbit dogs.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I'll get another one when mine passes :( which im hoping will be in 30-40 years :D

My baby boy on his 10bday last month
    007-6.jpg

Phoenix 6.0

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    id probably put my basset down immediately in a zombie situation, but my mini shepherd is staying by my side. an alert protective dog is absolutely an asset if you are alone

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    NICE Dobie. I think next one I get will be from this guy. Seems he has some of the best dobies around the BR area, costly but worth it.
    http://www.dwcourseydoberman.com/

Thanks, He is an awesome dog. that yours in your avatar?

haha! that is the guy i was looking into getting my next one from or I have been thinking about adopting from gulf coast doberman rescue. You should join dobermantalk.com lots of good info and people on there. They can tell you alot of reputable breeders down here.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'd want either a Dutch Shepherd/Belgian Malinois or a Scott bloodline American Bulldog or crosses between either/or with a good working Pit Bulldog. Add a bit of working Airedale and it's the "perfect" survival canine companion.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom