Another Stolen Vehicle in NOLA.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA For ten years and countless hours, Select Crawfish Company’s Chuck Wattigny has boiled crawfish for customers at Tracey’s
    He says the night of Memorial Day, his job got a whole lot harder.
    *I just had to stop here real quick to check to make sure the bar in these trailers everything was locked up,*
    He says he left his truck running with thousands of dollars of equipment inside but thought it was secure as he had his key fob in his pocket.
    Wattigny says it took less than a minute to find out that was not the case.
    *As soon as I turn around my truck is someone jumped in it and backed up into Magazine Street and was taking off that way… for a second I see a cop come down third and sees the whole thing happening and I was relieved for about 15 seconds… he turns on the light chases him for about a block and I’m like yes go get them, he goes one block and then just stops and I’m like what are you doing go get this guy he just stole my truck,* said Wattigny.

He says he watched the officer pursue his stolen truck for a block and then stop.
    *It’s just mind-blowing, mind-blowing that you can steal someone’s truck personal property in front of them in front of a police officer and we’re not gonna do anything about it,* said Wattigny.
    According to NOPD’s policy under the consent decree, officers are only granted permission to pursue when there’s a reasonable suspicion the suspect committed or attempted to commit a crime of violence.
    He says he thought of Portia Pollock, the woman stabbed to death walking to her car one morning, and feels lucky the incident didn’t turn violent.
    *Disgusting, disgusting that these criminals are running our city right now and we can’t do anything about it and the police are not doing anything about it and we’re all helpless at this point,* said Wattigny.
    Still hoping his truck is returned to him, he says he’s still irate as his trust in the city and its ability to protect its citizens is nearly gone.
    *I’m done, I’m done man I am I’m fed up with the city the way they handle everything… this is not going on in other places this isn’t going on in Jefferson parish, we’re one parish over this is not going on it is our fault it is the city’s fault until they tighten up I don’t know I’m about done… I don’t wanna pay one more dollar to the city that doesn’t do anything for me,* said Wattigny.
    Wattigny filed a police report with the NOPD.
    They have not yet provided an update on the investigation but have not yet heard back.

NOSR Mark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2008
    Need to start cutting fingers off of repeat offenders... eventually they won't be able to steal. :mad:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've noticed a lot of the cars being stolen lately have been people leaving them running, especially at the gas station while the person is walking inside.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    When there is no law enforcement anarchy thrives! Defund the police, stimulus checks, attacks on police, BLM, riots, the systems failure to protect police officers doing their job, this is what you get. The car jacking is just the beginning, wait until it becomes home invasion. It's coming sooner than you think! ANARCHY!

Peabrain42

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    Boonies
    I guess I'm so old ,I don't see the new day fangel.If the police are not going
    to stop crimes in progress,what is the point of them being there?

If you knew the police were not coming if you called them,would you not
    have gotten your truck back.I know I would have,I feel sorry for old
    people and women.But maybe when police are gone,we can kinda be like
    the ol west,go to helping people in need.I kinda remember those days.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I was working in the suburbs of Chicago a little bit ago. Talked to a LEO for a little over an hour.... he said they weren't chasing anyone that wasn't violent.

All this anti-cop stuff.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    New Orleans is a **** hole. Plain and simple. That's why I left. Think about it. Louisiana is shaped like a toilet. New Orleans is "in a bowl". There's plenty of brown water flowing through it. New Orleans is a **** hole.

Louisiana is a toilet?

Good thing I'm moving out west.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I was working in the suburbs of Chicago a little bit ago. Talked to a LEO for a little over an hour.... he said they weren't chasing anyone that wasn't violent.

All this anti-cop stuff.

The NOPD is still under a Federal Consent Decree. That is where that policy came from. Some officers have defied the policy and paid a heavy price for it. Others have figured out that you can simply follow the car without your lights on and feel it out for a period of time before requesting permission for a 10-28, or you pretend that you are not giving chase and call it in as a 20I after the perps vehicle crashes.

I know a Detective from the 7th District who did get permission for a 10-28 last Thursday to chase a carjacker all the way to Kenner. After spotting the vehicle, giving chase, and working with Kenner and JPSO to take this piece of garbage off the street for good, my friend was written up for “driving against traffic” instead of getting a commendation. He told me that he would do again and again! I am very proud of him.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    When there is no law enforcement anarchy thrives! Defund the police, stimulus checks, attacks on police, BLM, riots, the systems failure to protect police officers doing their job, this is what you get. The car jacking is just the beginning, wait until it becomes home invasion. It's coming sooner than you think! ANARCHY!
    I agree that lawlessness leads to anarchy. And I agree there must not be any law enforcement in NOLA. I don’t think that any of that other stuff applies to NOLA though.
    Apparently chasing someone violating a traffic law is more important than grand theft auto. Pretty sure they’ll pursue you further than one block for failing to use a signal or running a red light. Apparently the truck thief was obeying all traffic laws. Now, just apply all that logic and try to imagine what a cesspool NOLA is gonna be in a couple more years… yup.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I agree that lawlessness leads to anarchy. And I agree there must not be any law enforcement in NOLA. I don’t think that any of that other stuff applies to NOLA though.
    Apparently chasing someone violating a traffic law is more important than grand theft auto. Pretty sure they’ll pursue you further than one block for failing to use a signal or running a red light. Apparently the truck thief was obeying all traffic laws. Now, just apply all that logic and try to imagine what a cesspool NOLA is gonna be in a couple more years… yup.

I'm speaking on a national level, but, where the nation goes so go the states. This is I'm afraid going to get much worse! We have a totally corrupt and illegitimate federal government, the courts are out of control, local district attorneys aren't enforcing the law, thefts and looting are not being prosecuted, man I could go on and on.

All of this with the out of control illegal immigration on the southern border and not to mention a corrupt FBI. What I'm seeing scares the hell out of me!

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Inviting that federal oversight was the worst thing Mitch Landrieu did while in office. It may have been coming down the pipe on it's own at some point, but they should have let it go the natural course and tried to work on improvement within to avert as much of it as possible. We helped SO chase a fresh stolen into NOLA early one morning, ended with a crash on Hayne at Bullard or Crowder, perp had two firearms he'd been toting around when he took the vehicle (it was one of those 'started the car but went back inside for something forgotten' incidents). NOPD, LSP, Levee District also showed up when done. NOPD said "we don't even chase for that," refused to do the crash so I think the Levee District guy piped up to work it, and said they weren't booking the guy into OPP, so the SO deputies talked the EMS crew that had the guy in the back to transport him back across the lake to SMH for his clearance before booking.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    New Orleans is a **** hole. Plain and simple. That's why I left. Think about it. Louisiana is shaped like a toilet. New Orleans is "in a bowl". There's plenty of brown water flowing through it. New Orleans is a **** hole.

That is a very lazy opinion. All you see on the news is the bad events from New Orleans, so you seem to believe that the ENTIRE CITY is bad place to be. Tonight is just another peaceful quiet night in my Mid-City neighborhood. I avoid Downtown on the weekends as much as possible these days. Uptown and Mid-City have many nice places to go for locals, so I spend most of my time there. With the exception of my Marine Corps service, I have lived in Orleans Parish all my life and have yet to be the victim of a carjacking or 64G.
    Do you believe the media when they tell you that owning an AR-15 is bad and that only criminals use them?
    Your opinion of New Orleans seems to reflect that of the Liberal media.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    That is a very lazy opinion. All you see on the news is the bad events from New Orleans, so you seem to believe that the ENTIRE CITY is bad place to be. Tonight is just another peaceful quiet night in my Mid-City neighborhood. I avoid Downtown on the weekends as much as possible these days. Uptown and Mid-City have many nice places to go for locals, so I spend most of my time there. With the exception of my Marine Corps service, I have lived in Orleans Parish all my life and have yet to be the victim of a carjacking or 64G.
    Do you believe the media when they tell you that owning an AR-15 is bad and that only criminals use them?
    Your opinion of New Orleans seems to reflect that of the Liberal media.

my opinion on New Orleans, and yes I strongly feel that New Orleans is a ********, is based after working on Bourbon on/off for several years bartending (robbed twice while at work), having friends with NOPD and hearing the stories of "their day at work", PARTIALLY on the media, and generally just driving around. Yes there are a few isolated blocks of the city that aren't horrible, and a couple that are nice. But generally, speaking, That city in my opinion needs to wash away into the gulf. I felt safer overseas.

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    Lived and worked down there for three years, I stopped counting after the tenth heroine addict tried pulling a screwdriver or sharp butterknife or some **** on me. I have no intention of ever returning to hot chicago, they deserve everything they vote for overwhelmingly.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    my opinion on New Orleans, and yes I strongly feel that New Orleans is a ********, is based after working on Bourbon on/off for several years bartending (robbed twice while at work), having friends with NOPD and hearing the stories of "their day at work", PARTIALLY on the media, and generally just driving around. Yes there are a few isolated blocks of the city that aren't horrible, and a couple that are nice. But generally, speaking, That city in my opinion needs to wash away into the gulf. I felt safer overseas.

I am sorry to hear that you were robbed on Bourbon st. You and your NOPD friends have seen the worst that ANY metropolitan area has to offer. That will happen if you spend your time in the WORST parts of any major city or if you work long enough for a metro PD. You become jaded and move to a rural area either before or after retirement(I have family and friends who retired from NOPD and moved to rural parts of Mississippi, Kansas, and Texas.). You might feel differently if you had not worked on the worst street in the city(I hate Bourbon St.)
    The truth is that ONE STREET does not define an entire city. I do not see my hometown of New Orleans as a ***** hole* because I do not go to the parts of New Orleans that are bad. I spend my time in the many good parts of the city or parts of Jefferson Parish( there are bad parts of Jefferson that I stay away from.) In any case, I enjoy the nice parts of the city too much to sell my $500,000 house and buy a cheap one in the country. I will also continue to stand my ground by voting against the Democrats.

You are free to hold on to your hatred and blame the entire city for what happened to you. That is your choice. Cabella’s has a nice little aquarium that is very therapeutic(I visit it every time I go there on the way to BR.) Enjoy!

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Lived and worked down there for three years, I stopped counting after the tenth heroine addict tried pulling a screwdriver or sharp butterknife or some **** on me. I have no intention of ever returning to hot chicago, they deserve everything they vote for overwhelmingly.

I know a former Chicago transit cop who moved here and joined NOPD right before Katrina. He is having a much easier time working in New Orleans than in Chicago.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom