Any Appliance Repair Guys.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    I've got a Whirlpool SxS Refrigerator (Model ED5LHAXWQ00) that quit cooling correctly Friday, 3 1/2 yrs old. Still under (extended) warranty. Gonna take the 'Approved Warranty Repair' Guy a week or more to get here. I don't want to wait so....
    The compressor is cycling every 2 1/2 minutes, running for 8 seconds and is shutting down. I've looked at the schematic and don't see any pressure switches (I'm an automotive guy and that's where I would look first on a car) so I'm assuming it's either the start or run capacitor. Please correct me if I'm wrong but since I hear it starting up and running briefly (sounds normal, no hammering), I'm thinking it must be the run capacitor. Without pressure switches wouldn't the unit continue to run if it was out of freon?
    Thoughts and suggestions please!
    Charles

stag0608

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Luling, La
    It might be the compressors overload cutting it out. Do you here a click at the compressor when it comes on and goes off? If so the overload is cutting it out. Is the compressor hot to the touch? It could be low on charge or it may be the run capacitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I'd start by checking pressures. Then look again. I'd be very surprised of there wasn't a pressure cut out. Could possibly be a low current cut out which would activate if the suction pressure dropped too low.

stag0608

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Luling, La
    There's no pressure control on refrigerators. You are only dealing with ounces of refrigerant, so the only way to charge it is by weight. It's probably a bad compressor, bad overload, or weak, or bad capacitor.

jw927

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    A faulty circuit board will be indicated by a flashing filter indicator light. On my whirlpool fridge the cb was bad. The coil in the freezer would ice up and auto defrost cycle would not run. This prevented fridge from cooling.

Is the freezer section cold?

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    Freezer is not cold, both sides minimally cool, like maybe 50 degrees. Filter light is not flashing. Compressor is not running long enough to achieve any serious evaporation through the expansion orifice. I'm seriously leaning towards changing the 'Start/Overload Capacitor/Relay' and the 'Run Capacitor'. In the short mount of time the compressor does run, it sounds perfectly normal. My experience has been that an over/under charged system usually changes the sound of compressor operation.
    But Hell, I could be wrong.
    The two parts are $100.00 next day air on the interwebz. I'm gonna look for them in Slidell tomorrow. If the price is around $125.00 (+/-) I'll buy them locally.
    I want my shop beer refrigerator back!!

jw927

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    If you plan on replacing the capacitor yourself be sure to discharge it to bleed off any stored electrical charge. Even if it's bad, with the unit unplugged, it can still give you a potentially fatal shock if it hits you right. Be safe and good luck.

stag0608

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Luling, La
    Freezer is not cold, both sides minimally cool, like maybe 50 degrees. Filter light is not flashing. Compressor is not running long enough to achieve any serious evaporation through the expansion orifice. I'm seriously leaning towards changing the 'Start/Overload Capacitor/Relay' and the 'Run Capacitor'. In the short mount of time the compressor does run, it sounds perfectly normal. My experience has been that an over/under charged system usually changes the sound of compressor operation.
    But Hell, I could be wrong.
    The two parts are $100.00 next day air on the interwebz. I'm gonna look for them in Slidell tomorrow. If the price is around $125.00 (+/-) I'll buy them locally.
    I want my shop beer refrigerator back!!

That's where I would start. If you were closer I would come check that thing out for one of those cold ones.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Re you sure the compressor is actually running during that 8 seconds, or just trying to run until it trips?
    That is my guess, the fix is under $20- research compressor hard start
    Fridge compressors are not like automotive, they do not shut off because of low pressure (lack of refrigerant), they will continue to run even if the system is open or running in a vacuum.

Top Bottom