Any AR 15 Gunsmiths here?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antknee985

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Thibodaux
    I want to have my front sight tower removed and replaced with a picatinny gas block.
    Anybody have any recommendations for a smith?

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I've never done it but from what I've seen it looks like a relatively simple swap. The pins that hold the FSB on are tapered so you knock them out from one direction put the new FSB on and re install the block. IIRC the hardest part is removing a stubborn gas tube.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It is a fairly simple process, however getting the new gas block to line up perfectly over the gas port can be a royal pain in the ass. And you won't know if you got it right until you're at the range.

If you do decide to have a gunsmith do it, I'd recommend having the barrel dimpled and a set screw installed. I personally have zero faith in clamp-on gas blocks, though it's not a huge deal if it's just a range toy.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    YHM makes them with and without the bayo lug.

YH%20Gas%20Block%20Sight%20Generic.jpg

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Has anyone tried to flip up the front sight that is attached to a ridiculously hot gas block? I have on a LWRC M6A3. Its annoying. Save the money, shave down your pinned gas block and get a FF Rail. Taper pins are a much better attachment system.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Goteron's concerns about a hot gas block/integral flip up are very valid. (Ask me how I know...)

There has always been a lot of concern over a clamp on block in place of a pinned one, and for good reason. Simply put-- most people don't install the things very well, or select a block that's bound to give them problems. However, if done properly, you can torque the barrel extension out of the receiver before the gas block will budge.

Avoid aluminum at all costs. As the barrel and block heat up, they will flex and expand at different rates when they're constructed of such different materials. Steel, steel, steel-- that's the single most important thing to avoid movement, slippage and subsequent failures. You also want horizontal locking screws, as opposed to vertical. They have consistently fewer problems, even in not-so-perfect installations.

Once you're sure the gas port is lined up, torque the **** out of the thing. "Permanent" Locktite is your friend-- the one that resists heat the most. (Just know that if you ever change your mind... it's going to be a nightmare to remove!) It helps to have a tool that'll align the block with your pre-aligned quad rail (which you won't have), as it not only ensures no cant to your flip up, but will actually help hold the block in place as you're tightening the sucker down.

It's been suggested (although untested) that a multi-collar block is more sturdy than a single wrap around piece. I still don't fully understand why, but that's the consensus from the guys actually building and testing these things.

Now, all of that said-- shaving the FSB and covering it with a rail is not only the easiest option, but also the hardest to screw up. You completely avoid any concerns of slippage, misaligned ports or off-center installations. You can also skip the concerns over barrel size, gas port size and angle, gas tube alignment, and flip sight height (rail vs gas block).

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    YHM Rail delivered to you in Thibadoux 100USD. Brand new never used. Tutorial on shaving the FSB emailed to you for free.

ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I think I know a smith in Gretna that specializes in AR's. Send me a PM if you would like his name and contact number. You might need to give me a day or so to find his number.

antknee985

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Thibodaux
    I think I know a smith in Gretna that specializes in AR's. Send me a PM if you would like his name and contact number. You might need to give me a day or so to find his number.

I decided to go with GMshooter with this project.
    Thanks to all who responded.

Top Bottom