Any Dog Experts or Veterinarians in the house?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WrenchGuy

ARmed ARtisan
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Slidell, Louisiana
    After many years working with dogs, wolves, and wolf hybrids, I have to agree with most of what the DVM posted...dogs in general run a risk of some type of adverse side effects with extremely high protein raw diets, mostly due to the manipulation of their genome by man, but exceptions do exist.
    My wolf hybrid excels on raw meat and bones, digesting it without any problems, in fact she has had issues with processed foods...but my mutt dog does not do as well with raw.
    Also, never give them cooked bones of any kind, store-bought or otherwise...cooking bones makes them too brittle to be safe.
    Its better to give them deer of hog bones after they have been frozen for at least a month.

anakha

ljp#6749
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    monroe
    But how long have dogs been eating processed/cooked foods? Maybe a few hundred years, yes humans have altered their genome but we didn't start feeding processed grains and chicken byproduct meal until the last century or 2 at most. Before I started feeding raw I consulted my vet about it and he was all for it and actually gave me some ideas and different things to research. To each his own but it just makes sense to me.

And the arguement of "well if you can't eat it then you're dog shouldnt". Our bodies have adapted over thousands of years to process cooked food, canines not so much

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Update:

Once again, I really appreciate everybody's input. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I think I might have this thing figured out now.

I've always fed her venison with a scoop of dry food on top. Looks like it was the combination that didn't sit well with her.

Fingers crossed, I don't think it's a venison allergy. I've fed her raw and cooked venison recently without any reaction. But as soon as I combine meat and dry food, mayhem ensues.

Right now she's getting just venison in the morning (cooked) and just dry food at night. She's happy and full of energy. No gastrointestinal issues.

The reason I thought she tolerates raw venison better than cooked is because she'd always get the raw by itself. As in, I was cleaning a deer and throwing her scraps. No dry food involved.

Whenever I fed cooked venison, there was dry food as well. -> diarrhea.

So, if any of you are in the same situation, this thread might be of help.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom