Any experienced backpackers here?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    After you go get fitted, come home and wear those boots 24/7 for a couple of weeks to get them good and broken in. DO NOT take a brand new pair of boots out on your first hike!!!

+1000 and ONLY, let me repeat, ONLY wear Smartwool Phd merino wool blend socks....any other kind and you'll regret it terribly.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    +1 on the socks. I have a friend that would wear black nylon socks under white cotton socks though. I usually change socks at lunch time and let the worn ones ride in a netted compartment on the outside of my bag to dry. My feet sweat a lot though. your results may vary...
    Returningliberty, that's a lot of water! I guess it depends on where you camp.

sealthedeal

charliepapa jr.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    We did about 7-15 miles a day in the mountains of Arizona for a ten day hike, but it really depends on how in shape you are, and/or who you're with...

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    up to 15 miles a day in the scorching Arizona desert sun....that's pretty impressive...you're in better shape than I am. Oh wait...I see how you did that...you're only 18. Must be nice..:D

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    http://www.backpacker.com/lighten-your-tent-by-22-ounces/slideshows/219?

Backpacker magazine has a pretty good website. They run mini-articles that are often worth reading. The one I posted shows how to reduce your tent weight. These guys are trying to cut every ounce. They once suggested shortening the handle on your toothbrush to save weight....

Mojo, you hit that one on the head! Charlie I want to see you redo that trip at 40...

Hiking and backpacking are supposed to be fun. This isn't a trail run challenge or a forced military hike. I want 5 to 7 miles a day max if I have a choice. I want to take time to look at every weird bug, take pics, enjoy scenery, etc. Its not a race.

Last edited:

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Agreed....for me the journey is the destination. I've done 25 miles per day and didn't see anything but the ground in front of me..not good.
    I've learned to slow down and enjoy the scenery....and yes I've become one of those weight weenies that you were reading about in Backpacker. I didn't want to but I had no choice. Believe it or not just reducing your pack weight by a few pounds makes a huge difference over a 75 mile hike.
    We should organize a bayoushooter camping trip...as it is now I'm hanging out at Bogue Chitto State Park at least 2 weekends a month.

Last edited:

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    My wife is pretty allergic to wool, any other recomendations?

Merino wool blend socks are the best and the only other option is a blend of synthetic wicking fibers. Can't recomend a particular brand but there are many. Any of the big backpacking/ camping online retailers will have examples. Check out rei.com moosejaw.com backcountry.com basegear.com When you're outdoors and sweating the enemy is cotton. Cotton holds in moisture and you guaranteed to get blisters. Merino wool and the synthetics will wick moisture away from your skin keeping you nice and dry and blister free. What kind of a reaction does she have to wool? Oh and one other benefit of wool socks....they won't stink like cotton.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i know guys that backpack in sandals, without socks.

find what works for you.

i have a set of smart wool, a set of a nylon/polypro blend, a set of silk blend.

dont buy bulk in socks until you find what works best for your feet.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Merino wool blend socks are the best and the only other option is a blend of synthetic wicking fibers. Can't recomend a particular brand but there are many. Any of the big backpacking/ camping online retailers will have examples. Check out rei.com moosejaw.com backcountry.com basegear.com When you're outdoors and sweating the enemy is cotton. Cotton holds in moisture and you guaranteed to get blisters. Merino wool and the synthetics will wick moisture away from your skin keeping you nice and dry and blister free. What kind of a reaction does she have to wool? Oh and one other benefit of wool socks....they won't stink like cotton.

merino wool is still sheeps wool. it can be less irritating for those allergic, but it can still cause irritation.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    merino wool is still sheeps wool. it can be less irritating for those allergic, but it can still cause irritation.

I'm not a 100% sure but from what i understand the processing of the merino wool reduces the allergens so most people that are allergic to traditional wool clothing don't have much of a problem with the Smartwool socks. Guess she'll just have to try it and see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom