Any GM Technicians onboard? Airbag deployment questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    don't know the exact procedure but be sure to disconnect the battery the night before you plan to replace it..."residual electricity" can deploy the airbag if you cross wires right afterwards supposedly...that's the advice I took when doing some work on my trans am that required the airbag and steering wheel assembly being removed...gl

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I have only changed bags in fords but will offer this advice since no tech has responded.

I would disconnect the ground on the the battery prior to begining work.

Newer systems are much smarter than old ones and wont accidentally deploy like the old ones. Example, if no passenger is present that bag wont deploy.

If you had a drivers bag deploy odds are you will need to replace the "clock spring" in the column and perhaps the sensor where the impact occured.

These things are plug and play. I cant imagine how mrz28 could cross wires.

No matter how many i do, i always turn the key while standing outside the car :)

EightySix

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Well let me give the details. 2009 pontiac G5.
    I bought the car with drivers side airbag deployed. The person I bought the car from was a dealer driving home from an auction. He claims he fell asleep on the way home and drifted off the road where he hit a rotted log which caused the drivers side airbag to deploy and also the seatbelt tensioner to activate.
    I bought the car knowingly and planned on repairing it myself.
    The damage to the car was minimal, meaning, radiator support and left frint wheel was bent out of shape, but impact was enough to cause the airbag to deploy.

What I want to know is, what do I need to replace to get the car back to factory standards, along with the procedures involved.

Last edited:

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    I have only changed bags in fords but will offer this advice since no tech has responded.

I would disconnect the ground on the the battery prior to begining work.

Newer systems are much smarter than old ones and wont accidentally deploy like the old ones. Example, if no passenger is present that bag wont deploy.

If you had a drivers bag deploy odds are you will need to replace the "clock spring" in the column and perhaps the sensor where the impact occured.

These things are plug and play. I cant imagine how mrz28 could cross wires.

No matter how many i do, i always turn the key while standing outside the car :)

you'd be surprised how many people accidentally deploy airbags when working with them...I never have; just offering precautionary advice...

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    you'd be surprised how many people accidentally deploy airbags when working with them...I never have; just offering precautionary advice...

You can accidentally cause yourself SERIOUS harm if you discharge static electricity in the vicinity of airbag connectors. There's an explosive detonator inside each one, just like you'd find stuck in a bit of plastic explosives. Any little bit of electricity is sufficient to make one blow.

GaryCCR

Off target
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Westbank, La
    Your best bet is to go to a GM forum and ask and hopefully someone with alldata can answer that for you pretty easily. My truck, 06 Silverado, has two small holes on the sides on the steering wheel behind the spokes (one on each side, 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock), you just push two pins in the holes and the driver's air-bag slides out. I don't know if the car is the same but GM likes to use the same methods so it may be worth a look. Good luck!

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Well let me give the details. 2009 pontiac G5.
    I bought the car with drivers side airbag deployed. The person I bought the car from was a dealer driving home from an auction. He claims he fell asleep on the way home and drifted off the road where he hit a rotted log which caused the drivers side airbag to deploy and also the seatbelt tensioner to activate.
    I bought the car knowingly and planned on repairing it myself.
    The damage to the car was minimal, meaning, radiator support and left frint wheel was bent out of shape, but impact was enough to cause the airbag to deploy.

What I want to know is, what do I need to replace to get the car back to factory standards, along with the procedures involved.

Every car is different. Without looking at a vehicle there is no way to know what it will take to repair it. Be prepared for hidden damage; i bet there is some.

Good luck with it.

Top Bottom