any lawyers here deal with red light/speed camera tickets in new orleans?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    what does one do if one was not driving the vehicle at the time of the ticket?

I should also add, I have paid all the tickets I have been at fault for.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    what does one do if one was not driving the vehicle at the time of the ticket?

I should also add, I have paid all the tickets I have been at fault for.

READ THE DIRECTIONS THAT CAME WITH THE TICKET.

I BELIEVE YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE A SIGNED AFFADAVIT NAMING THE DRIVER.

OR JUST GET THE MONEY FROM WHOMEVER WAS DRIVING THE CAR.

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Where the heck was this? I thought they did away with those dam things.

Also while we have a cop available. What is the rule when you have turned into a divided intersection on green. Can or can't you proceed to cross the divided area while it is red going in the perpendicular direction to which you've turned? Does that question make sense? I have been doing this since I have observed several police officers do it without their lights on. My wife constantly states that it is illegal but I don't buy it.

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    They suck, those cameras are just there to make a buck.

Clearly.

What to do depends on one's personality I think. If you don't like hassle and won't feel violated by paying it, pay it. From what I have read (always accurate I'm sure) if you don't pay they turn it over to a collection agency. There is no warrant issued for your arrest in LA if you don't pay. I think the whole process is BS and a usurpation of ones rights. But I can't imagine hiring a lawyer is cost effective.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Where the heck was this? I thought they did away with those dam things.

Also while we have a cop available. What is the rule when you have turned into a divided intersection on green. Can or can't you proceed to cross the divided area while it is red going in the perpendicular direction to which you've turned? Does that question make sense? I have been doing this since I have observed several police officers do it without their lights on. My wife constantly states that it is illegal but I don't buy it.

DEPENDS ON HOW THE SIGNALS ARE LAID OUT.

MSPAINT ME A PIC.

LOL

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    How about at napoleon and claiborne or napoleon and tchoupitulous? Can you recall those intersections off hand? If not I will just keep doing what I think is convenient until reprimanded.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    How about at napoleon and claiborne or napoleon and tchoupitulous? Can you recall those intersections off hand? If not I will just keep doing what I think is convenient until reprimanded.

Another words, when you make a left, you catch the red light that is holding back your cross traffic?

If that is the case, then no.

If you are familiar with Canal and Harrison, then yes, you would have to stop.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    At least they don't go on your driving record!

Jefferson did (is going to?) away with them. They finally realized they were causing more accidents than they were preventing.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    care to enlighten?

I believe someone posted earlier it had to do with the fact the company responsible for the monitoring was getting something like 60% of the money made and it did not decrease accidents it actually increased them. However that could be something I made up while inhaling plastic fumes during my glock stipple job.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Turning from Napoleon to Tchoupitoulas you have to stop. There's a white line indicating this (it's mostly worn away, but my wife got a ticket there.

Some intersections (like Holiday and MacArthur in Algiers) have a sign saying "Left turn on green after Yield." On those, it's OK to proceed through the light because you are following a sign which overrules the red light you've just turned toward.

Bob8408

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Another words, when you make a left, you catch the red light that is holding back your cross traffic?

If that is the case, then no.

If you are familiar with Canal and Harrison, then yes, you would have to stop.

This is off topic but since you are a LEO maybe you can answer this question. I drive a standard shift Yaris and when I'm stopped at a stop sign or red light on a hill, drivers behind me come right up to my back bumper almost. There is a danger of rolling back into the car behind me. Is there a minimum distance that the rear driver has to maintain even while stopped at a red light? Sorry for being off topic.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Turning from Napoleon to Tchoupitoulas you have to stop. There's a white line indicating this (it's mostly worn away, but my wife got a ticket there.

Everyone runs it, however, as the only traffic concern is coming from across the train tracks there (or out of the back of Rouse's) and it's never more than one car at a time. It's also easy to stop up traffic at that intersection, as a lot of people will be turning left from Napoleon onto Tchops, and get hung out to dry.

I've never been sure on the actual law, but there are a lot of intersections that seem like they should be run and others where it seems right to stop. I think everyone gets the same impression, as what "makes sense" is what most people do. I always stop if there's a police officer in the vicinity, as it's better safe than sorry.

On a side note, I got a ticket for running a red at Napoleon and St. Charles, actually turning left from Napoleon onto St. Charles. I was well into the intersection when the light turned yellow, the car in front of me threw on their breaks (no blinker) to turn left, and instead of stopping on the tracks, I went right in behind them. Officer was sitting there watching for people running the light (in any direction) and pulled me over. It was right before the street cars started running again, and I explained to him that I was used to getting out of the way. He said that while he agreed with my logic, it was still running the light and that I should have stopped in the center divide in my situation.

As usual, doesn't have to make sense to anyone to be against written into law. The ticket wasn't much, the officer was very nice, and it was no big deal to pay it and move on having learned something new.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Some intersections (like Holiday and MacArthur in Algiers) have a sign saying "Left turn on green after Yield." On those, it's OK to proceed through the light because you are following a sign which overrules the red light you've just turned toward.

No, not really, but in a crash, if they were that close, you probably wouldn't be cited.

Top Bottom