Any LEOs willing to help me aquire information on street legal conversion regulations

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirk70301

Jack of all trades
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Thibodaux , LA
    Without going into too much detail at this time , I looking for information on converting a non street legal vehicle to streetable in Louisiana . If any LEOs willing help with regulations or steer me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it . Send me a PM or email and I'll fill in the details .

dirk70301

Jack of all trades
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Thibodaux , LA
    I've found this on the web pertaining motorcycles , does this cover all off road vehicles ? State police inspecton requirements :headlight with high/low beam, tail/brake light, turn signals, left side mirror, horn, speedometer with odometer, DOT tires.

https://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1...d?OpenDocument

LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
    OFFICE OF MOTOR VEHICLES
    Section: IV Motor Vehicle Registration Requirements Effective: 05/23/1988
    Number: 30.01 Revised: 08/17/2004

CONVERTING AN OFF-ROAD MOTORCYCLE TO STREET USE
    OR VICE VERSA

To view Louisiana Statutes: http://www.legis.state.la.us/

AUTHORITY
    Administrative
    R.S. 47:301(17) - Defines ORV

DEFINITION
    A motorcycle can be converted from off road use to street use or vice versa. A motorcycle that is registered as an off road vehicle cannot legally be driven on the highways of Louisiana without obtaining a corrected title and a proper license plate.

REQUIREMENTS
    The following documentation must be surrendered before processing the conversion:
    1. DPSMV1799 - completed with Section D on the reverse side of the application completed indicating the changes.
    2. Original title
    3. If converting a street use motorcycle to off road use, the license plate must be surrendered and an ORV decal purchased.

OTHER:
    If the applicant states the motorcycle was titled incorrectly, departmental records must be checked and verified. Once microfilm/image records verify an error occurred, the transaction can be processed.

When a motorcycle has been converted from an off road motorcycle to a street use motorcycle, a motor vehicle inspecition certificate must be completed, verifying the motorcycle is now street legal. Proof of insurance will also be required before a license plate can be purchased. The odometer reading can be taken from the physical inspection.

When a street use motorcycle is converted to an off road motorcycle, a physical inspection is not required.

In all cases a corrected title must be issued.

PROCEDURES
    Upon receipt of the title and the necessary supporting documents, a correction transaction must be processed. If the motorcycle is currently titled in the applicant's name, a TT32 can be processed to indicate the change.

The class code indicated on the record (0902 Off road vehicle decal, 0303 motorcycle), must also be changed.

A TT42C must then be processed converting to either the off road vehicle decal or motorcycle plate. If issuing a license plate remove ORV from the model/weight field.

When processing a title transfer, process a TT35 which will allow the conversion and the sale of the license plate/ORV decal.

Advise the applicant who is converting an off-road motorcycle to a street use motorcycle, the ORV decal attached to the motorcycle should be removed and destroyed.

RELATED POLICIES
    Section IV Policy/Procedure Statement # 82.0 Off-Road Vehicles
    Section V Policy/Procedure Statement #55.0 - Off-Road Vehicle Decals

lt1rx798

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    It's been done many times. Contact state police and ask to speak to the officer who does vehicle inspections (you will probably have to specify your intent). I had his number a while back, but cannot find it now.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've converted a few dirt bikes to street legal. You don't need a LEO except to verify the VIN (frame) number. OMV has a form for that, a LEO has to sign it. For the rest of the procedure, PM me and I'll give you my phone number. Too lazy to type it all out.

Top Bottom