Any thoughts on the Ruger LC9 for CCW

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armyvet

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    NOLA
    I'm thinking of buying a Ruger LC9 which would eventually become my CCW when I get a permit. Does anyone use one of these? I like the size, simplicity, and the caliber (9mm).

I also like the idea of a Glock 36 (.45), but it's a bit bulkier.

Some LC9 specs:
    Length 6"
    Barrel Length 3.12"
    Width 0.9"
    Height 4.5"
    Weight 17.1 oz
    Caliber 9mm Luger
    Capacity 7+1

Thanks,
    Ken

Last edited:

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    CCW is the intended purpose for the LC9 so it will do the job :D JK

Seriously though I have held the LC9 and it felt like a good fit even in my large hand. I can imagine it is not horrible to shoot like some CCWs which opens you up to practicing with it more often.

Also any gun you can conceal and feel comfortable shooting and carrying will work as a CCW

Last edited:

Not4Hire

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have the LC9 (about a week old) and it fits very well inside the waistband (Disantis Soft Tuck). When I lose some weight, it will fit even better! I carried all weekend without any issues whatsoever and it was very comfortable. I carry the LCP in my pocket if I am wearing a pair of shorts without a belt. (I think the LC9 is a little too heavy to tuck without a belt.) As far as shooting is concerned, haven't shot it enough (which will be cured this weekend) to tell you specifics, but the fit in my hand is good and comfortable. The fact that the LC9 has a thumb safety was a big plus for me, as I'm not wild about carrying a Glock (which I have a G17) chambered and pointed in the direction of my junk without a safety. Just sayin'.....

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I keep one in my pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis holster and love it. I was carrying a PF9 until its mainspring broke at the range one day during a practice session. The LC9 had just hit the stores (mine is S/N 007) and I had already read up on them. I went to Academy and handled it a little bit and $360+tax later, it followed me home.

It is "de-horned" sort of the way some 1911's have had done or had the corners "melted" off. That was obviously incorporated into the design from the beginning since it was to be a carry gun. On the down side, the finish on the slide is rather minimal. I will likely have mine coated soon, but I have had to steel wool and touch it up a little with cold bluing since the summer hit. I'm a big guy and it stays in my pocket, rain, shine, sweat, etc.

Bottom line; so far about 150 rounds and no malfunctions. I shot a box of 50 right after I got it, then a couple times when I was at the range and checked it and found it full of lint, I put 50 rounds through it each time. I like it.

I'm no Glock expert, but I think the 6 round, single-stack 36 in .45 is about the same size as the 10 round double-stack 26 in 9mm and the 9 round 27 in .40. Either way, wider than the LC9, but if that's the way you wind up going, you might want to consider that before going with the 36.

Good Luck w/your decision.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I had one come through a CHP class last weekend. The safety was impossible to engage one handed. You could disengage it with one hand, but not engage it. If they are going to put it on there, then it should probable be slightly longer/bigger.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I had one come through a CHP class last weekend. The safety was impossible to engage one handed. You could disengage it with one hand, but not engage it. If they are going to put it on there, then it should probable be slightly longer/bigger.

I am pretty sure it is hard to engage for those who did not want to use it.

I use to want the smallest 9mm I could get a hold of, but have decided the Glock 26/XD subcomact size pistols are where its at for concealed carry. I feel the LC9/PF9 sized pistol is to big to pocket carry daily, so it gives little advantage over a double stack 9mm.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    I keep one in my pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis holster and love it. I was carrying a PF9 until its mainspring broke at the range one day during a practice session. The LC9 had just hit the stores (mine is S/N 007) and I had already read up on them. I went to Academy and handled it a little bit and $360+tax later, it followed me home.

It is "de-horned" sort of the way some 1911's have had done or had the corners "melted" off. That was obviously incorporated into the design from the beginning since it was to be a carry gun. On the down side, the finish on the slide is rather minimal. I will likely have mine coated soon, but I have had to steel wool and touch it up a little with cold bluing since the summer hit. I'm a big guy and it stays in my pocket, rain, shine, sweat, etc.

Bottom line; so far about 150 rounds and no malfunctions. I shot a box of 50 right after I got it, then a couple times when I was at the range and checked it and found it full of lint, I put 50 rounds through it each time. I like it.

I'm no Glock expert, but I think the 6 round, single-stack 36 in .45 is about the same size as the 10 round double-stack 26 in 9mm and the 9 round 27 in .40. Either way, wider than the LC9, but if that's the way you wind up going, you might want to consider that before going with the 36.

Good Luck w/your decision.

How many rounds did the pf-9 have through it when the mainspring broke? Just wondering since I own one.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville

my guess is that it was brand new and I think kcinnick is also correct about it just being there for those who just have to have it. I lubricated mine and worked it a little and now it's as easy to engage/disengage as most of my 1911's.

How many rounds did the pf-9 have through it when the mainspring broke? Just wondering since I own one.

I didn't keep a logbook on it but if I had to guess I'd say around 600. KelTec was happy enough to send me a new one at no charge already mated to a new hammer, I assume that's because it would have been a real pain to get the new spring on the hammer. It was a relatively easy fix, but did require complete disassembly and an extra set of hands. That wasn't really a bad thing since I took advantage and gave it a good bath in non-chlorinated brake cleaner. before reassembly, I also removed that knot on the top of the front side of the trigger that always pinched my finger. haven't shot it again yet but will next time we go.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    I didn't keep a logbook on it but if I had to guess I'd say around 600. KelTec was happy enough to send me a new one at no charge already mated to a new hammer, I assume that's because it would have been a real pain to get the new spring on the hammer. It was a relatively easy fix, but did require complete disassembly and an extra set of hands. That wasn't really a bad thing since I took advantage and gave it a good bath in non-chlorinated brake cleaner. before reassembly, I also removed that knot on the top of the front side of the trigger that always pinched my finger. haven't shot it again yet but will next time we go.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Charliepapa.

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    i carry the sr9c and its very comfortable with the cross breed holster.. so the lc9 should work perfect for you being slightly smaller.

armyvet

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    NOLA

I gotta ask; do you like the LC9 better than the Keltec? I have heard that Keltec's quality has improved a bit in more recent years, but I've loved ever Ruger I've ever owned - never had any issues with a Ruger. P94, SP101, 10/22

BTW, That is the coolest serial number. :)

Last edited:

armyvet

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    NOLA

I like the fact that the safety is hard to ENGAGE - lets me know I wouldn't accidentally engage it in a personal defense situation. The fact that it is disengaged easily is another reason I like it - no trouble when the weapon needs to be brought to bear. (NO pun intended) :)

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I gotta ask; do you like the LC9 better than the Keltec? I have heard that Keltec's quality has improved a bit in more recent years, but I've loved ever Ruger I've ever owned - never had any issues with a Ruger. P94, SP101, 10/22

IMO the Ruger does have a slight edge on the KelTec. The fit and finish are both a little better, the trigger pull is a tiny bit lighter and smoother. the Ruger is also more rounded on the corners. as I've already mentioned. I do think it's kind of cheesy that both the LCP and the LC9 are almost copies of the Kel Tec P3AT and PF9, but that did give Ruger the edge since they knew what they were up against and made improvements from there.

armyvet

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    NOLA
    Well, I picked up a LC9 at the gun show. Haven't put any rounds through it yet, but I love it already.

belmor

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Monroe
    I wish they made a DAO version, I prefer my carry weapon to be point and shoot with no safety. They must be popular because I have not been able to get one yet from ANY of my distributors.

~B~

tupperware9mm

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I am a Glock guy and have 17,19,and 26 but wanted a slim 9mm carry gun. Glock is actually testing a single stack 9,... but it is just as thick as the current double stacks. I got an LC9 and like it. It is a little heavier than the LCP which I have also. It has a mag safety which I don't care for," won't fire if mag is not in gun". it has a slide safety I don't care for but, I can live with all of that , the only thing I have to get used to is the mile long trigger pull, and it does not have a short reset,..... you have to let it out all the way before you can get off another round. With all that said, it is comfortable in the hand, it is dead on accurate,and it is not nearly as snappy as a LCP. I like mine and would recommend it.

Not4Hire

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ran just over 50 rounds through it yesterday. Long trigger pull comment is dead on. I struggled with accuracy but it might have had something to do with the fact that I was going back and forth with my XDM .40 and making sure my wife didn't shoot me with her S&W .357 or Ruger SP 101 from the next lane. I need to spend some range time with just that gun and no other distractions.

armyvet

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    NOLA
    I wish they made a DAO version, I prefer my carry weapon to be point and shoot with no safety. They must be popular because I have not been able to get one yet from ANY of my distributors.
    ~B~

The LC9 is DAO.

Took the new LC9 to the range today. No complaints, but as mentioned, loooong trigger pull. It's pretty easy to "two stage" the trigger; you can feel when it's about to break. I don't like the magazine safety much. Well, all of these things have been mentioned already, so I don't wanna :deadhorse:

Top Bottom