Any tips on a speeding ticket in St. Helena Parish?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    My wife got a ticket from a State Trooper for speeding in St. Helena Parish this weekend and her court date is assigned to the District Court in Greensburg. I've received a ticket from a small-town (Port Allen) local LEO before and was able to fill out a form at the DA's office to have the violation reduced as long as I stayed out of the books. I was curious if anyone had a similar experience in St. Helena. Another concern is that even if the DA residing over that district is willing to help, could they do anything about State Trooper issued tickets, or could they only help with tickets issued by local LEO?

I'm aware of the Article 892 but I'm not 100% sure my wife qualifies, and in small towns there tends to be a cost-free way to work the system anyway.

Another thing, and maybe LEO could help with this one. The Trooper was driving in front of her (a good ways, she says), and the ticket lists that he captured her speed with radar (maybe laser). Is it possible for LEO to accurately radar/laser while driving? I told her she should have asked to see the reading.

And I know, the simple answer is, "don't speed, obey the speed limit, it's there for a reason." But we're beyond that suggestion being of any use in this case. Her excuse is that she was driving a new car home (it is a little more peppy than her old one). She just needs to look at the speedometer to get used to it.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    A radar is capable of clocking another vehicle while the officer vehicle is moving. There is a antenna that points out the front and another one that points out the back. And it works if the vehicles are going in the same or opposite directions. And the DA's office is responsible for prosecuting all tickets issued in the parish, local, parish and state issued.

Asking to see the radar is useless. Troopers are taught to listen for the tone a radar puts out to be sure that it is a true reading. Any change in speed can also be noted. Therefore, most don't "lock in" a speed. And court's have ruled that the trooper doesn't have to show you the speed.

Last edited:

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    A radar is capable of clocking another vehicle while the officer vehicle is moving. There is a antenna that points out the front and another one that points out the back. And it works if the vehicles are going in the same or opposite directions. And the DA's office is responsible for prosecuting all tickets issued in the parish, local, parish and state issued.

Asking to see the radar is useless. Troopers are taught to listen for the tone a radar puts out to be sure that it is a true reading. Any change in speed can also be noted. Therefore, most don't "lock in" a speed. And court's have ruled that the trooper doesn't have to show you the speed.

I'm not surprised they could get you moving, it just seems tough to get it while moving and out front a good ways.

I know it wouldn't make a difference to see the radar, but she was clocked going more than 20 over and didn't feel it was correct. Based on neither of us having been clocked from a moving car before we thought maybe he was pacing (from at least 800 feet away) or making a guess and just put radar on the ticket. So I suggested she ask in the future.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    same lane same direction moving with KA band can be farther than you can see.

locking in the speed is not required, nor encouraged. i could lock the speed at 200 and pull people over all day and say 'look you were going 200'

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I just called the DA's office and the person on the phone said they like to see the perp in-person Fridays at 8:00 am in Greensburg to review their case. My wife is a natural cry-baby. And I don't mean the manipulative type, I mean the emotional type. So we'll see where this goes.

In the mean time, any other tips are welcome.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    That would be illegal. He could lose his job and be charged with "Injuring public documents". Don't think he would risk his job over a speeding ticket.

So you understand my concern based on not being certain the radar would work while moving out front...obviously I know now.

Last edited:

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I can't remember exactly, but it was over the 20 MPH threshold. Even if the best we can hope for is to have it reduced to 19 over, I'd be happy.

If she has a good driving record and has not caused trouble, I'm sure they will work with her.. They may cut her some slack.. 20mph over is generally not regarded as accidental.. Generally in a case like this it is best to admit guilt and ask for leniency.. They may not reduce the fine, but may change it to a non moving violation.. The DA can certainly do that, and have done that for me albeit, in a different parish... But, I don't think claiming you didn't know you were speeding will garner any compassion.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    If she has a good driving record and has not caused trouble, I'm sure they will work with her.. They may cut her some slack.. 20mph over is generally not regarded as accidental.. Generally in a case like this it is best to admit guilt and ask for leniency.. They may not reduce the fine, but may change it to a non moving violation.. The DA can certainly do that, and have done that for me albeit, in a different parish... But, I don't think claiming you didn't know you were speeding will garner any compassion.

Oh there's no doubt she was speeding, and she knows it. She will admit guilt. She wasn't trying to make an excuse either, just trying to figure out why she did something uncharacteristic as speeding in excess of 20 over.

Thanks for the advice!

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Oh there's no doubt she was speeding, and she knows it. She will admit guilt. She wasn't trying to make an excuse either, just trying to figure out why she did something uncharacteristic as speeding in excess of 20 over.

Thanks for the advice!

Totally understand.. That's the best advice.. I've been through it a time or two.. They'll work with you most of the time. Good luck. By the way, what was the posted speed limit?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    My neighbor got a ticket from a Trooper years ago for 55 in a 55.

The Trooper said it was 45 mph zone. My neighbor told him it was 55 but he didn't believe him. Neighbor called the Troop the next morning and told them and it was taken care of.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Got a ticket in St. Helena parish on HWY 42 out of Greensburg coming home from the camp one day. Just for reference I was going 72 in a 55 and it cost me $218.00.

Top Bottom