Any Way to Deter Snakes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    speaking of such...just killed this bad boy at work... 5' 4" ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428589089.242736.jpg

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    I can't see why people want to kill harmless snakes. No chance of harm to you, your family or pets, plus free rodent control. I saw 5 snakes within 3 hours at my house this afternoon and let them all live. 2 water snakes (one was amusing to watch trying to catch the minnows floundering in what water was left in the ditch), 2 garters and 1 speckled kingsnake.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    I can't see why people want to kill harmless snakes. No chance of harm to you, your family or pets, plus free rodent control. I saw 5 snakes within 3 hours at my house this afternoon and let them all live. 2 water snakes (one was amusing to watch trying to catch the minnows floundering in what water was left in the ditch), 2 garters and 1 speckled kingsnake.
    Well said! I especially like having the speckled kings around. Not only are they cool-looking, but they eat venomous snakes too, along with the usual stuff like rodents, etc. I've seen a speckled king in my yard once or twice, but I don't think he hung around. Bummer.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

While I agree that "harmless" snakes are beneficial to your yard. I am no expert on snakes, and would not want to stick around to "identify" what I'm looking at. I'd rather deter or rid myself of them. I don't mind birds, turtles, and opossums that I see on my property from time to time. But the snakes just make me feel uneasy.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Seriously- cats. our neighbors are old ladies with a half dozen cats. weekly we see a cat in the yard with a snake or mouse - they are welcome guests. Toss a cat or two out there and feed them and your problem is solved.

Last edited:

Wolfgang1952

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton La, USA
    It is not hard to identify non poison from poisonous. The head on a poisonous snake is in the shape of a diamond and non poisonous have a head in the shape of an olive. Just look at the picture of the gander snake, look at the shape of its head. There is only one poisonous snakes thats head is shaped like an olive and that is the coral snake.

Moth balls are poisonous to dogs and cats.

Wolf

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    king10.jpg

Saw the kitties gathering around something this afternoon.
    This little guy seemed happy to see me.
    After I played with him for awhile, I took him for a walk to the woods.
    He was very friendly.

Top Bottom