Any way to EMP proof a vehicle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silent Thud

Infidel
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Backwoods, MS
    Isn't an EMP created from a nuclear explosion that is detonated at high altitude? Just wondering. Will there be an impending "nuclear fallout" afterwards? :confused: Anyone care to help me ease my troubled mind? LOL.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    They were a pretty good band back in the day......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm1OJ0LAgt4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm1OJ0LAgt4[/ame]

Wait, ****....That was ELP....:o

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    how about instead of emp proofing the vehicle you emp proof its garage. it seems like it would be easier to build a faraday cage in the building you park the car in....

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    You have to steal the tiger helicopter off of the destroyer, but first you have to squeeze the captain to death with your thighs and then shoot the pilots.

Suriously tho, I think one of those old toyota pickups would survive is you had it shut off during the pulse.

Last edited:

nolaOE800

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    ??????????

just keep extra spark plugs, and plug wires on hand?!? (can't be fuel-injected, if it's computer-controlled then it's fu*%'ed)

everything else is supplementary.

I'm not a mechanic, but I AM an electrician, and there's no way any kind of EMP or anything like it could physically damage circuitry if there's no juice flowing through it. it's all just bits and pieces of metal and plastic until a voltage is applied.

like I said, I'm no expert, but I would think that just keeping extra plugs and plug wires would do the trick for a carburetor motor.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    ??????????

just keep extra spark plugs, and plug wires on hand?!? (can't be fuel-injected, if it's computer-controlled then it's fu*%'ed)

everything else is supplementary.

I'm not a mechanic, but I AM an electrician, and there's no way any kind of EMP or anything like it could physically damage circuitry if there's no juice flowing through it. it's all just bits and pieces of metal and plastic until a voltage is applied.

like I said, I'm no expert, but I would think that just keeping extra plugs and plug wires would do the trick for a carburetor motor.

I know very little about emp but isnt that how it works by sending juice through anything that is a conductor.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Just as is the case with GLOCK- when you want something that works, look no further than those clever Austrian craftsmen!:cheers:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaQB_tgS7f0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaQB_tgS7f0[/ame]

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    [QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

Google search " Electrostatic Discharge " , and " breakdown voltage " .
    Have you ever worn an ESD bracelet when working ?

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    [QUOTE

Have you ever worn an ESD bracelet when working ?[/QUOTE]

What about that movie "War of the Worlds" with Tom Cruse. Everything quit working. If it was in the movies it must be true.

I think it can do damage to logic circuits maybe but I ain't no xpert.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Have you ever worn an ESD bracelet when working ?

What about that movie "War of the Worlds" with Tom Cruse. Everything quit working. If it was in the movies it must be true.

I think it can do damage to logic circuits maybe but I ain't no xpert.[/QUOTE]

If we actually had been invaded by Martians, Tom Cruise (the scientologist) would have probably run up to them and formed a group hug, anyway...:rolleyes:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    About 20 years ago I went to the high voltage laboratory at Mississippi State University . They do a lot of testing and research using extremely high voltages . The control room had a desktop computer that was protected by a Faraday cage . It was literally covered by a cage made of copper mesh .

I have also seen an equipment room in a high voltage switchyard that was enclosed by 4 x 8 sheets of copper to protect electronics from static voltages .

My point ? Yes , I have one . :) A piece of equipment does not have to be energized and a vehicle does not need to be running to get put out of action . You might get by with something old and analog , but anything electronic is probably screwed .

Top Bottom