Anybody ever make a coin ring?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Frisco, TX & Frequently in BR
    Last year I proposed to my fiancee with a silver quarter giving her the story of how WW1/2 soldiers used to make rings for their sweethearts back home.

I told her that I'd make her ring out of the quarter and after realizing she was a keeper by not scoffing at the idea, we went and bought her a real engagement ring.

Anyway, I'm just about finished tinkering with this thing and she loves it. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with or knows how to plate silver with something more durable...perhaps rhodium? Despite all the "hammer forging" I've swung at it, it's still very soft. I'd like for it to be somewhat durable and even match in color better to her platinum ring. I'm in the BR area but don't mind mailing it out somewhere reputable. Not concerned with spending too much either since this thing only cost me a few bucks!

Engraving would be nice too...

Here's some pics:

8299847413_c60058b10c_c.jpg

8299848105_24fd6cd4a4_c.jpg

8300900986_dc601efc15_c.jpg

8300901410_9e6b1cddfd_c.jpg

8300901750_b28d611248_c.jpg

8299849837_ce21c28eee_c.jpg

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    A rhodium dip will make it look like white gold and the rhodium is a bit harder and more durable than silver. Just like with a white gold ring the rhodium will wear off after 2 years or so but to re-dip it is cheap. Anton's has never charged me but I did buy from them and I know down the street at Patton's Kevin charges around 35.00 for rhodium plating.

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    I'd love her even if she shared my gorilla knuckles :D

So how do you finish it and make it a ring? Do you cut the center out and how?

Take a small hammer to tap it around the edges to size, then use a heavy steel spoon to beat on the coin to round/smooth it out, and then you just drill out the center.

I had it about 5mm wide before I filed it down to approx 3.5mm. I still need to taper off the edges. Here's a small video that gives you the idea of what to do. This guy didn't use a spoon though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=548qCuDHe_Q

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Excellent job on that! Wish I had known that before going to Tiffany's!!!!

Actually, I did take her to Tiffany's. We ate the cake and everything while she tried on some rings. She wasn't very impressed. We ended up at this extraordinarily expensive place ( http://www.vancleefarpels.com/us/en/ ) where she surprisingly found something she loved and it actually stayed under budget!

Filed and polished it down to a little under 3.5mm width. Matches pretty well now but I still plan on having it plated.

8365646791_1c5b1d2d9f_c.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom