Anybody had any experience with a debt collector?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I got a letter today from a collection service for a bill I don't owe. I thought this was settled a year ago ,but, apparently it's not. It's a gas bill if that makes a difference. I've not had good luck with the Attorney General's office in the past. I suppose I could try the Pubic Service Commission. The only satisfaction I've ever really gotten from the state is the Governor's Office of Constituent Services (Edwards the second), and, that was a dispute with DCFS. They haven't knocked my credit score as of yet. I know that if false information is put on your credit report, they can be fined $5,000, but, I don't know how to go about initiating that process. Before anybody suggests it, I know I can make this all go away for $75.00, but, it is personal now and I'm not going to take it! Any advice/experiences would be appreciated. Thank You.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    If it’s a utility bill for your business or residence, I would think it would have escalated enough for them to discontinue service.

You say collection company, sounds like a dunning letter from a 3rd party. That usually means the original creditor wrote it off as a bad debt.

If you have proof you don’t owe this I would get with the “gas” party. If it’s just an error, again I would get with the “gas” part.

The collection agency just wants money, they probably won’t be much help.

My ex-brother in law used to work for one of those companies years ago. He had some stories, usually crazy stuff they did.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2024
    new orleans
    To be honest I got one from the N.O. water company down here not too long ago. They tried to say I owed like 1,200 dollars if I can recall. I say a few months went by and a debt collector said I owe $400. To my knowledge it has not affect my credit score either and it falls off after seven years. All in all, they are not getting a penny from me, and I know that's not true.

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    Ask for a 12-month audit for your particular time frame. All the numbers are on record (readings), and you should have them on bills. See what is owed for said period vs what you have paid---this dollar amount will answer the question. It will either be 0$ as you say or some other amount. Either way you'll have your answer.
    I went thru this a few years back. I did indeed owe them a few bucks but this way they proved it to me with my own (receipts) records. I do keep all payment for at least two calendar years. Good Luck---Have a good day.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    If it’s a utility bill for your business or residence, I would think it would have escalated enough for them to discontinue service.
    It's for my rental property. The account is currently in my tenant's name. This isn't an issue
    You say collection company, sounds like a dunning letter from a 3rd party. That usually means the original creditor wrote it off as a bad debt.
    Yup
    If you have proof you don’t owe this I would get with the “gas” party. If it’s just an error, again I would get with the “gas” part.
    They let me know that they don't make mistakes, and they have never heard of the Uniform Commercial Code. I went to the local facility in New Siberia and they referred me back to the Houston 800 number.

The collection agency just wants money, they probably won’t be much help.
    I assume as well.
    My ex-brother in law used to work for one of those companies years ago. He had some stories, usually crazy stuff they did.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Sounds like they’re trying to hold the property owner accountable for a renter’s charges. Property has zero to do with the charges. Utilities are non-tangibles so there’s nothing but a meter reading. Whomever is named on the account is the guarantor.
    Add another vote to the “pound sand” box.

Top Bottom