Anyone been to the US Grand Prix in Austin?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I've been to COTA twice for MotoGP, so I can tell you about the circuit but not sure how much is relevant to the F1 race. Be prepared to walk, and bring LOTS of money. The parking lots are pretty far from the entrances, and the circuit is huge as well. Food and beer are crazy high, even for sporting events... something like 8 or 9 bucks a pint, $10 mixed drinks, $25-$40 t-shirts, etc. After the race traffic will be horrible, there's only a few ways out.

Most of the general admission areas are decent, nice berms and elevation changes mean you can see with minimal fencing in the way, these modern Grand Prix tracks have so much runoff don't expect to get too close, but it's still fun. We sit in Turn 15 and it's one of the best views on the circuit in my opinion. For F1 the start/finish straight and turn 1 may be decent, GP motorcycles don't have pit stops so I can't comment on that.

Austin itself is a decent city, we weren't impressed with 6th Street the first year, but we found some nice spots the second time downtown, google some bars and such, guarantee you can find something to your taste.

For dinner, if you like Tex-Mex we found a place this year that was stellar, it's called Trudy's and there are several locations.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    Great, thanks. Been to Austin several times but never COTA. Guess I'll take some pics and post them up afterwards. Do want to catch a Moto GP race one day there as well.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    http://shutterspeed.exposuremanager.com/g/austin_2014 that's my motogp gallery from this year, that circuit requires lots of focal length, lots of scouting, and lots of hoping that you don't get yelled at for standing and shooting someplace you aren't supposed to. Most of mine are from the pedestrian bridges near turns 16 and 3.

Nice, so you think General Admin is a decent thing to do? Was gonna do GA for Fridays practice/ferrari challenge and qualifying Saturday then probably Sect. 15 for race day. Should I buy a parking pass for Sunday or just wing it and walk? Other two days we plan on the wives dropping us off.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Like any big sporting event the local property owners convert their land to parking, so you can likely find a spot but it will be in the boonies and cost you. I think I saw some of the private lots advertising a shuttle bus, so that could be beneficial if you can find one.

We rarely used our grandstand seats during practice/qualifying days, preferring to walk the track and find photo opportunities. I'd get a dedicated seat for the race though. Hate to get up for a beer run and lose your spot!

Let me know how the event is, the elevation changes in that track will blow your mind. Turn 1 is much higher than it looks on TV! Also, pay the money to go up in the tower once, it's expensive but the views are incredible.

Top Bottom