Anyone ever replace garage door springs????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm about to undertake this task and feel pretty comfortable getting it done. Seems the hardest part is finding someone willing to actually sell me the springs locally.

Anyone have any tips or pointers?

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm about to undertake this task and feel pretty comfortable getting it done. Seems the hardest part is finding someone willing to actually sell me the springs locally.

Anyone have any tips or pointers?

Its harder than it looks. Those things have a lot of power so don't slip when you're twisting it up cause it will FLY. Use a vice or something that serves the same purpose.

Last edited:

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    Most systems I've seen have a method for releasing all the tension on the old spring for easy removal, and then placing the new spring with zero tension for easy install. The only hazardous part is tightening the new spring to the desired tension.
    The absolute greatest tip I can offer is to pay very close attention to the way the spring will rotate if you lose control while tightening it. Double check to make sure whatever tool you are using will fly in the opposite direction of you face if you lose your grip.
    Also make sure you wife's fancy dining room light fixture you have sitting against the wall across from you isn't in the line of fire from the said slipped wrench. You'll never live it down...

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Google is your friend here. I failed to save the link, but there is a video out there that shows how to change a broken spring. You'll need a leverage rod with correct diameter (fits the tensioning holes on the spring caps). The most important thing to remember is correct spring weight and number of turns needed for each side.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    Need more info. Door size, door material, wood, aluminum, ect.. type of springs used.

Some springs are anchored to the door rail frame and use pulleys, some are attached to a rod above the garage door similar to blinds. That type is very dangerous and i recommend replacing it with the newer version that has a gear type housing that safely can be adjusted.

Just a thought.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Pay professionals to do it with their "special" spring windup tool. They have insurance.

Have you ever paid that bill? My mom did once on a Saturday and it was over $300 for him 40 minute job. I watched. I know I can do it WITH the proper tools.

Search google like was said, buy the tools and watch some videos of it being done. Just don't get in a hurry when you do it or may be eating through a straw for a while.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    In the time it took for everyone to post, I ran to Lowe's, picked up two 1/2" rods, for a whole $14, came home, and removed both springs, and even helped a neighbor fix an issue with his new gun.

Youtube has some very good how-to videos, so I feel confident. Just spoke with Overhead Door, it's $109 for 2 new springs, if they install it's $179 per spring. Calling DoorTech in the morning to see how much they want to make some springs.

This is the only "special tool" I can find

And if I can get both springs for $60 online and spend $350 on this tool, I still come out ahead over having someone come in and do it.

Last edited:

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    mine was from garage doors of acadiana i think, it was the same price for installation if i wanted to install one or i just had to buy the extra spring.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Need more info. Door size, door material, wood, aluminum, ect.. type of springs used.

Some springs are anchored to the door rail frame and use pulleys, some are attached to a rod above the garage door similar to blinds. That type is very dangerous and i recommend replacing it with the newer version that has a gear type housing that safely can be adjusted.

Just a thought.

Door is 18x7 Clopay, non insulated, steel door. Torsion springs, I measured them out to 20" length, 2" ID, .207 wire. Left spring is marked yellow, right spring is white. I figure they are 90lb springs.

WHat is the "gear type housing?"

Last edited:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    When you get the springs put them in place and before you start winding them up paint a straight line down the length of the spring. This will tell you at a glance how many winds you have. They need to be the same left to right.
    Couple of pairs of vise grips will help you to keep the cables from coming off the drums.

I did this for a living when I was young.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    When you get the springs put them in place and before you start winding them up paint a straight line down the length of the spring. This will tell you at a glance how many winds you have. They need to be the same left to right.
    Couple of pairs of vise grips will help you to keep the cables from coming off the drums.

Ooo the paint is a nice touch, I'll have to remember that one :p

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge

I was wondering how the sharpie marks came into play, with the remianing good spring on the floor, it's not in a straight line, and they never looked similar. I believe a failure in a short time such as this, house is only 5 years old, is due to them being improperly installed from the start.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    One of the worst mangle jobs I've ever seen was the hand of a "handyman" who was trying to replace garage door springs. I've seen less blood at fatality car crashes. Good luck.

marco

Family Friendly
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Sulphur LA.
    My wife's business is garage doors and they had a "handyman" come in with several missing fingers trying to replace them without that tool. I have been with the crews replacing them and it can be very dangerous. Please be careful. Those springs are about the right price though the install for both is a little high.

Top Bottom